Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Youtube tutorial videos

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
I made a tutorial video on how to do a middy haircut 3 months ago and it already has well over 800 views. It got me thinking that I might do more to try to help everyone out. Afterall, in my ideal world everyone's hair would be vintage so I'd love to help push everyone towards that.
Does anybody have any good ideas of things to do a tutorial video on? Or things that they would like to have some help with?
Thank you ladies!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I love to watch YouTube makeup tutorials and reviews, so I've watched quite a few. I have found that there are lots of "pinup makeup" tutorials, but not any that really focus on true vintage style makeup and hair. I think it would be nice to focus on specific things for creating a vintage look - how to set pincurls, home dye tips for Marillyn blonde or Rita red, what modern sets & rollers work well for which style, etc. Or maybe recreating specific vintage hairstyles, like Betty Grable's famous curled updo, or copying styles out of period films. Also I think it would be nice to introduce or review modern products that work well for the vintage look, such as different setting lotions, rollers, or even cosmetics.

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is not hair, but I could use an "vintage eye makeup" tutorial, specifically. I've been thinking about getting into eye makeup (liner, eyeshadow, mascara, but I don't know if that is what I need) but I have no idea how to get the perfect look or where to start. Most of the eye makeup out there is... sparkly and not appropriate for where I work (very conservative university atmosphere). I have no idea where to start.

I'd appreciate one or several that went over how to get a daytime, evening, and more casual looks. Or how to use the different components separately to get the different looks. I can tell the difference between evening and daytime looks when I look at old pictures and movies, but I have no idea how to do them. :)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ I agree, I like the idea of breaking down the basics, so it isn't just "pinup makeup" - more like "how to do a perfect red lip" or "cat eye liner simplified." Vintage daytime/business appropriate looks would be great, for both hair and makeup. I work in a conservative environment as well.

LisaFreemontStreet has a lot of nice vintage-themed tutorial videos, but she's really the only YouTube guru I've seen that focuses on vintage.

Last edited:

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
I knew you ladies would have good ideas!
I've seen LisaFreemontStreet's chanel. She has a bunch of super cute things on there.

ginfizz

One of the Regulars

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
^ I agree, I like the idea of breaking down the basics, so it isn't just "pinup makeup" - more like "how to do a perfect red lip" or "cat eye liner simplified." Vintage daytime/business appropriate looks would be great, for both hair and makeup. I work in a conservative environment as well.

If I showed up to work in pin-up looking anything, well... heads would turn (and probably roll too lol ). I wore red nail polish a couple of times and a red bandana once. People acted somewhat scandalized by the way I looked, like it was racy or something.

In the case of the bandana it was amusing to me because I was wearing jeans just like everybody else does on casual Fridays. A few people even wear bandanas during the week, but they don't wear them "rosie style." I wear a bandana when I work around the house, it's cute but I wouldn't consider it racy. But apparently there are some that do.

I thought of some hair tutorials I'd like. How to do rolls and choose rolls on different places on your head (symmetrical, asymetrical, and accomodating different styled hats with rolls). Like a 10-different-ways-to-do-rolls once you've mastered them type of thing. A tutorial on the all-around the head roll (the one that looks like a single roll from ear to ear) would be nice, I've never been able to do it and there has to be some technique.

angeljenny

A-List Customer
I would love to find a video of an every day 50s look (hair and makeup) rather than the typical red lips one - something vintage but not over the top for work or shopping days. Not too complicated either!

I want to learn to do Marilyn eyes too.

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
Do you mean a roll similar to the one in my avatar?
I think I'm going to do the basic rules of rolls and how they work.
And a home hair coloring video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21