Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zelda : The Magazine of the Vintage Nouveau - NOW AVAILABLE!

clubwitsend

Practically Family
Hello FLers!

Just wanted to let you know that the premiere issue of Zelda is now available at http://www.zeldamag.com !

It features a fedora piece from our very own Matt Deckard, not to mention a load of other great articles you might enjoy.

And if any of you order it, I'd love to hear your feedback!

Thanks, all!

Diane

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Might be worth...

Posting some 'snippets/photos' from it *in here* just to give folk an idea and flavour ;)

Always for another magazine!

clubwitsend

Practically Family
PADDY said:
Posting some 'snippets/photos' from it *in here* just to give folk an idea and flavour ;)

Always for another magazine!

Good idea! Here's our cover for the premiere issue:

coverweb.jpg

clubwitsend

Practically Family
so nice to finally meet you, Brett!

Thanks to all who came to Zelda's launch at the Black Cat Masquerade- such a success!! I'll post photos soon...everyone looked fabulous!!!

clubwitsend

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Diane, tell us more.

How many pages is the premiere issue?

Will it be sold at newsstands?

I have an unpublished interview that might be very interesting for you.

Hi Marc!

It won't be on newsstands- its via the web through zeldamag.com first and foremost...and we'll be having it at some vintage social events in your area as well...(Matt Deckard will have it at Cicada in upcoming weeks)...but the website is the preferred venue. :)

The premiere issue is 56 pages (including the cover), full color, 5.5" x 8.5"...nice paper stock. :) You can see a bit about some of the articles on the website on the 'current issue' link! ;)

I'd love to talk with you about future articles!

clubwitsend

Practically Family
photos from the Black Cat Masquerade/Zelda launch

4069564487_6dde4b0366.jpg

4069568293_b055468fd6.jpg

me at the front door, just as our first guests started to arrive...

4069572571_b33757f1cf.jpg

the vintage mask i covered in crystal...

4069577641_2eb163859d.jpg

gorgeous guests!

4069605993_aeab718998.jpg

the amazing Lawrence Hole, proprietor of the Madame Yevonde Portrait Archive who stayed with me this weekend and is SUCH a delight! http://www.madameyevonde.com

MORE GUESTS:
4070364528_d2a6a6537b.jpg

4069614511_d35cc5d5eb.jpg

4070355628_6ddf7a04f3.jpg

Full set is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/17372012@N00/sets/72157622596762841/

I truly could not have been happier with how the Masquerade turned out!! I was worried that it would get too overcrowded by the end of the night, in all honesty…it was slated to rain, and I didn’t want people waiting outside unable to get in…thankfully, we had a great crowd AND no one had to wait out in the rain! WHEW. Although more business is always good, I REALLY didn’t want to ruin someone’s Hallowe’en plans by them not being able to get into the party they planned to attend.

And everyone looked AMAZING!! I was so impressed with the masks and overall look of our crowd…I couldn’t believe they all showed up and put in all of that effort…it made me REALLY proud to be hosting the night…and the drinks were very impressive…normally, I don’t like rum…but the punch that Flute came up with was unbelievable!!! Spiced Rum, pear puree, apple cider, ginger beer….DELICIOUS…and they floated an apple with cinnamon on top!

Gelber & Manning sounded great as per usual…and we even busted out with a game of ‘Donut on a String’ to win prizes from Hey Sailor! Hats and Cladrite.com tees…I was tickled seeing our costumed guests on the floor eating donuts with their faces after they fell off of the string! I’m going to keep my eyes peeled to see if other photographers captured any of that amazingness…

This entire weekend, I’ve been hosting Lawrence (pictured above), who is SUCH a delight…and I purchased two of Madame Yevonde’s prints from him…my very first major art purchase:

112.jpg

Hecate - from the Goddesses series, 1935

502.JPG

Study for the cover of Women & Beauty Magazine

Her work is incredible- and the color just stunning…for the era, and for any time, really. She used a color process called Vivex that was only available from 1930-1940. (You can read more about this in the feature in Zelda! http://www.zeldamag.com )

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
clubwitsend said:
MORE GUESTS:
4070364528_d2a6a6537b.jpg

I'll come clean and admit that this shot is of my wife and me. It's good that she was positioned in the light, with me in the shadow -- that's just as it should be.

I should add that Saturday's was our first Wit's End event, and we both had a terrific time. I've got my fingers crossed that my work schedule allows us to attend another very soon..

clubwitsend

Practically Family
skyvue said:
I'll come clean and admit that this shot is of my wife and me. It's good that she was positioned in the light, with me in the shadow -- that's just as it should be.

You both were lookin' great- I'm so glad you came!! And your wife is adorable!

I'm glad you two got to chat with Lawrence, too...he had the BEST time on Saturday! He told me it was the best party he'd been to in 40 years!! LOL (and that everyone was very, very nice) :)

Mojito

One Too Many
Absolutely fabulous, atmospheric photos...and I can't wait to order a copy of the magazine!

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
clubwitsend said:
You both were lookin' great- I'm so glad you came!! And your wife is adorable!

I'm glad you two got to chat with Lawrence, too...he had the BEST time on Saturday! He told me it was the best party he'd been to in 40 years!! LOL (and that everyone was very, very nice) :)

We had a fine time chatting with him -- he's a lovely and very engaging fellow.

clubwitsend

Practically Family
The first batch of Zeldas are officially in the mail as of this weekend! WHEW! So whoever ordered before Saturday should be getting them soon!!

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
That was a short wait. My Zelda arrived in today's post, and what a gorgeous little tome it is! Thick and glossy, beautifully illustrated, with a tempting array of articles just waiting to be savoured on grey autumn days.
It truly is lovely, Diane, thank you for putting together such a gem.

Now, may I arrange to have a copy shipped to my darling vintage UK pal? ;)

clubwitsend

Practically Family
ThesFlishThngs said:
That was a short wait. My Zelda arrived in today's post, and what a gorgeous little tome it is! Thick and glossy, beautifully illustrated, with a tempting array of articles just waiting to be savoured on grey autumn days.
It truly is lovely, Diane, thank you for putting together such a gem.

Now, may I arrange to have a copy shipped to my darling vintage UK pal? ;)

Thank you so much!! I'm so flattered that you ordered a copy for your friend :) My biggest hope is that people enjoy it and find out something new- so thank you! This is great! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto