Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zing!

android

One of the Regulars
So my wife and I went out with a few friends Friday evening past. One of the friends L doesn't like my hats. She always give me grief about them. (Yeah, I know I should shoot her, but I'm a law abiding citizen.)

So, I'm wearing my Panama fedora and tropical looking clothes and we're sitting on the patio at a bar and she says some stuff about my hat. My wife tells her (for the millionth time) that she doesn't know what she's talking about and that everyone compliments me on my hats.

L decides to take a poll at the next table. (Partial motivation was to flirt with the guys.) They all say it's great and very classic. She says she like the beat up straw cowboy hats. They disagree saying they're too trendy.

So she decides that was an exception and that girls wouldn't like it. I say fine, ask our waitress. She'd already told us she was 24 and her name was Ruth. She was also as cute as a button. I told L she could make the question as leading as she wanted and that Ruth would still say she like it.

Well, she never gets around to asking for one reason or another and it's time for Ruth to leave so she brings over our tab. L picks it up and get an astonished look on her face and won't show it to us. Finally, my wife pries it from her hand and in the area where the waitress put comments to keep track of the table, it says "Patio, Nice Hat."

Feraud

Bartender
Android, I see that everyone likes you in your lids. That "friend" of you and your wife's is really annoying!
No where did I read that you are being very firm with her in regards to your hats. It is obvious that she does not like hats. It is also really obvious that everyone around you does!
It looks like it is getting to the point that you need to firmly tell this person to shut up about the hat already!! It also seems like your friends is making the usual drunken idiot out of herself and should do it on her time and not at your expense! I believe she has passed the point where you should continue being a "gentleman" towards her. That is an earned attitude.

btw, I am not coming down on you at all! Take a stronger tone with her. ;) That person is totally annoying!!

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Nearly every person that comes into our store would love to wear a hat but they don't have the self confidence to and are jealous of those of us that do wear a hat. When a hat looks really good on a customer I tell them to expect compliments from total strangers. They usually laugh and think it's a sales pitch. They frequently come back the next time they're in town to tell me I was right.

I agree with Feraud. It's time to put this friend in her place.

:cheers1:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Android,
That is a great story and it begs a question from something I have noticed; doesn't it seem that Panama hats are considered more acceptable than fur felt fedoras by the hoi polloi (that is, non-hat wearers)? I haven't heard a single negetive comment wearing my Montecristi from Panama Bob. I get mostly positive comments on my Adventurebilt and my Akubra before it, thought there is the ocassional "cowboy" jibe, but my Panama has been entirely positive. At least, so far.

You know, people will always have opinions. I suppose we must endure them with a mix of patience, understanding, and grace.

Feraud

Bartender
Hemingway Jones said:
You know, people will always have opinions. I suppose we must endure them with a mix of patience, understanding, and grace.
So true. However...what I seemed to read from Android's post(and what annoyed me) is the womans insistence that there is something wrong with the hat! I do not mind the good natured cowboy or detective comment from folks. I have received them. When someone just cannot let it go then that annoys me! It is like a joke that is not funny and someone keeps telling you it and insist you find it funny!!

btw, good to see ya here Hemingway Jones. I just received an Orvis shirt thanks to one of your links on COW. It is a great looking shirt in person and I will post a review as soon as I can! Thanks!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:
So true. However...what I seemed to read from Android's post(and what annoyed me) is the womans insistence that there is something wrong with the hat! I do not mind the good natured cowboy or detective comment from folks. I have received them. When someone just cannot let it go then that annoys me! It is like a joke that is not funny and someone keeps telling you it and insist you find it funny!!

btw, good to see ya here Hemingway Jones. I just received an Orvis shirt thanks to one of your links on COW. It is a great looking shirt in person and I will post a review as soon as I can! Thanks!
Feraud,
It's nice to see you here as well. I read here, more than I write. There is much to be learned on these pages, as you surely know. I am glad you liked the Orvis shirt and that I had some small part in it.

As for our friend, Android, here: it is annoying, but what is he going to do? I think he handled it extraordinarily well, without resorting to an ad hominem attack or ungentlemanly behavior. It is a friend of his wife afterall. Except when your safety is on the line, it is usually better to endure than to attack. It is certainly better to be clever than cruel and Android illustrates this perfectly.

Feraud

Bartender
Hemingway Jones said:
I think he handled it extraordinarily well, without resorting to an ad hominem attack or ungentlemanly behavior. It is a friend of his wife afterall. Except when your safety is on the line, it is usually better to endure than to attack. It is certainly better to be clever than cruel and Android illustrates this perfectly.
Well what can I say? One can never argue against good sense! I just would like Android(or anyone) to be aware of the fine line that exists between "good natured jabs", ignorant comments and getting picked on.
While reading his original post, I thought of Popeye..."that's all I can stands and I can't stands no more!"..hahaha :D

Canyon

Familiar Face
Andriod, I think you have handled this situation with much paitence. At the end of the day, if your 'friend' doesn't like the hat, then it's her problem.

Hey Hemingway, great to see you here.

I know its cliqued, but.............great avatar! :)

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Interesting observations concerning the wearing of a hat. In a "hatless" society it takes a certain amount of confidence to wear one. I've been wearing a hat everyday for about a year now, and my experience has been that almost everyone thinks it looks sharp. I have, however, noticed there are several distinct "reactions" from folks:

1) Wearing a hat, especially with a business suit, can be rather intimidating to hatless males (of course at 6-6 and 360 lbs it's hard NOT to be intimidating - even when I don't intend to be :) ).

2) Almost without exception, women seem to like seeing a man wear a hat. Also, young women especially seem to like seeing a man wear a hat (and that is very complementing to a "50-ish" male) :) .

3) I occasionally get the "idiot" comment (are you a cowboy, gangster, etc.), but usually will consider the source of the comment (refer to observation #1).

I did receive a rather interesting comment from an elderly gentleman the other week who said: "You remind me of a Sheriff we had back in the 40's." I smiled and said "thank you", to which he replied: "Yeah, that SOB sent me to the chain gang." - Oh well, I guess you can't win them all!

riccardo

Practically Family
Big Man said:
Interesting observations concerning the wearing of a hat. In a "hatless" society it takes a certain amount of confidence to wear one. I've been wearing a hat everyday for about a year now, and my experience has been that almost everyone thinks it looks sharp. I have, however, noticed there are several distinct "reactions" from folks:

1) Wearing a hat, especially with a business suit, can be rather intimidating to hatless males (of course at 6-6 and 360 lbs it's hard NOT to be intimidating - even when I don't intend to be :) ).

2) Almost without exception, women seem to like seeing a man wear a hat. Also, young women especially seem to like seeing a man wear a hat (and that is very complementing to a "50-ish" male) :) .

3) I occasionally get the "idiot" comment (are you a cowboy, gangster, etc.), but usually will consider the source of the comment (refer to observation #1).

I did receive a rather interesting comment from an elderly gentleman the other week who said: "You remind me of a Sheriff we had back in the 40's." I smiled and said "thank you", to which he replied: "Yeah, that SOB sent me to the chain gang." - Oh well, I guess you can't win them all!

Good story Big Man,
a couple of mounths ago a customer of mine said me " Te sì fattu nù bell cappiello!" (he is from Napoli) letterally " You have a beautiful hat"...but he said it with an ironic smile!!
Who wears an hat is ,certanly, look with strange eyes.

...is for you correct to wear a straw hat walking during the night?

Regards.
Riccardo.

android

One of the Regulars
Never Fear!

L takes her fair share of jabs from me, so we are pretty even and it's all good natured. She more than makes up for her few minor annoyances by cooking us brownies whenever she comes to our house.

I've had no rude comments about either felt or straw, but I'm in Texas and cowboy hat wearing is pretty common. People are used to something on the head other than a ballcap.

I'm occassionally called Indiana by coworkers when I wear my brown fedora. I'm getting together enough Indy gear so that I can dress completely like Indy one day this fall (minus revolver & whip) and then totally deny any resemblance whatsoever for the whole day.

android

One of the Regulars
Another L Story

One night L wants my wife to go out with her but she doesn't feel like it and says I should go. I say sure.

L comes to pick me up and says, "Are you going to wear that hat?"

I told her of course, but offered not to wear "this hat" if she would rather I didn't. She says great.

So, I took it off and then proceeded to put on a different hat much to her consternation. Ah, the benefits of having more than one!

Winkydink

Familiar Face
hats are chick magnets. while not quite as good as a puppy, more often than not i get a nice smile when a woman sees me in my fedora. :fedora: "nice hat" is something i have heard too.

but then i am cute. :cool2: and a married man.

winky.

JeffW

Familiar Face
I can't think of a time that I got a negative comment on my hats. The ladies love them. It does take a certain confidence to wear one.

JeffW said:
I can't think of a time that I got a negative comment on my hats. The ladies love them. It does take a certain confidence to wear one.

That is very true. For the ultimate in confidence though you have to be able to wear a boater out and about. ;) Just did it yesterday. People look at you like you are from another planet. I always get: "is there a movie in town" or "did you just come from a play?" If I want to be really Twilight Zonish, I answer "nah ma'am, I dress like this everyday. This is 1947 isn't it?" :p

Regards to all,

J

Feraud

Bartender
jamespowers said:
For the ultimate in confidence though you have to be able to wear a boater out and about.
Add to the confidence list the bowler. I have one and have worn it. Now that hat will give you looks! :) I have never received any negative comments due to wearing any hat. I also think women appreciate a hat more than men. Most non-hat wearing men are too insecure to voice a comment anyhow...

Feraud said:
Add to the confidence list the bowler. I have one and have worn it. Now that hat will give you looks! :) I have never received any negative comments due to wearing any hat. I also think women appreciate a hat more than men. Most non-hat wearing men are too insecure to voice a comment anyhow...

You are quite right. I have even had women come up to me and give me compliments. One even told me that she wished more men wore hats. :cheers1:
Where I am the only thing that brings notice to you is the boater. Bowlers, homburgs and even tophats don't even elicit a look. I wore a top hat with correct color clothes but not tails and people didn't even look.
You would have to wear a skunk on your head or a boater to get noticed around here. If you happen to be in San Francisco the skunk probably wouldn't get you noticed though. :p

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112