Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zipper locations

absinthewilde

New in Town
I have always used zippers as an indicator of the age of a dress and since I mainly focus on the 40's I look for zippers to be located on the side. I had always believed that it wasn't until the 50's that zippers were being placed at the back but I have seen dresses on etsy and ebay in particular that are labeled 1940's and truly look to be of that era in every way except for the zipper being in the back. Is it still possible for dresses to predate the 50's and have a zipper not in the normal place? I'm not against later items if I truly like them and I mix eras sometimes but other times I am looking for complete authenticity and I don't want to be foolish and making claims about an item if it's not accurate.

swinggal

One Too Many
I have some 40s dresses that have smaller zippers in the neck but generally they most are at the side. Back zippers tend to indicate later items but then again, I also have some 50s and 60s garments that have side zippers, so it can be confusing at times and you will occasionally find a 40s dress with a back zipper, but not often. House/or hostess dresses often had a front zipper and were not meant to be worn outside of the home. Plastic zippers are an indication of a much later garment OR a replacement zipper. Cut and fabric types are also a good indicator of era.

The Vintage Fashion Guild has some great info on dating vintage clothing. :)

absinthewilde

New in Town
Yeah, I have a couple that have the small zippers at the neck but also a standard one on the side. I guess as long as everything else seems to be correct with the dress then I won't worry about it too much. I just want to make sure it's not a dead giveaway. Like if I saw a piece of clothing that was being sold as from the Victorian period but it had a zipper then I would know for sure that that is false. Thanks for the info.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I wonder if some vintage dresses have had the original zipper placement altered. It isn't always easy to tell.

Back zippers are more functional, though. I have a gorgeous 1950s polka dot dress that was a pain to get on and off with its original side zipper, so I sewed the old enclosure up, took out the back seam and inserted a new zipper. It fits a lot better now. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto