Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zipper solution for half belt and long jacket owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouisBailie

Banned
Edited- new guy needs to stick to the facts and not post inflammatory comments.

replacement 8MM hd solid brass symmetrical jacket zipper for those failing repro Talons, I know one man that is going to use them, so can you...
moto_1062.jpg
moto_1065.jpg
moto_1067.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LouisBailie

Banned
Edited- new guy needs to stick to the facts and not post inflammatory comments.

Hey bartender, Tell that to your old guys also.....then ones who come into my threads and blast away at me then you lock them, leaving their snide comments for all to read....

pawineguy

One Too Many
Putting on a larger gauge zipper certainly would make it more rugged, but it disregards the aesthetics of the jacket. Would work for some, not so much on others.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I just unzip when I sit down in a new jacket. Dislike two-way zippers, too chunky and, as Pawineguy says, they spoil the overall look.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I do like #5 size two way zippers, but either in antique brass or darkened nickel, I just sent my custom jacket to its maker to upgrade the zipper, can't wait to have it back, probably the zipper shown here is a little big, and has fancier puller than what I got... so I can understand if some feel it chunky.

I also change the upper zipper head with one for reversible jacket, so I can tuck in the puller inside and looks very neat, not flapping around my face when I ride.

LouisBailie

Banned
These are the same size zipper that come new on an Alexander 1920s Arkansas half belt, (this particular one replacing the talon that failed) and pulls are a 5 sec change over for their other choices also. All the pulls can be fully covered when the zipper is installed correctly.

Last edited:

zebedee

One Too Many
This would be a good solution- I worry less about aesthetics than functionality. Thanks for this, LB.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I always wish that Vanson can put a two-way zipper on their Model-B (apparently I recently found out that they DID put one on in their Japanese model?), there are reports that the zipper just buckles when riding as Model B is longer, below the waistline jacket. You can find the link from Taiwan is here :
http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=596&t=4189313

But for any sort of classic repro kind of jackets, I will still stick with NOS or repro one-way's.

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
I always wish that Vanson can put a two-way zipper on their Model-B (apparently I recently found out that they DID put one on in their Japanese model?), there are reports that the zipper just buckles when riding as Model B is longer, below the waistline jacket. You can find the link from Taiwan is here :
http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=596&t=4189313

But for any sort of classic repro kind of jackets, I will still stick with NOS or repro one-way's.

Nice model B. Sadly it's a fashionista rocking it.:eusa_doh:

Thurston bros sell it with the 2 way zipper.

IXL

One Too Many
I believe the Model B that Thurston Brothers/Insurrection sells with the two-way zipper, is the Model B "Deluxe," and also the Model B "House Deluxe," which I have. The two-way is great to have on both these jackets, although I would prefer they offer them with brass instead of the nickel.

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
I have a vanson with brass colored zipper and I have to say, I like it. Be aware that the brass fade off quickly to a steel color on the pulls.

devilish

A-List Customer
Personally, there are few things in life I hate more than a two way zipper. I've had them on various 'modern' coats, jackets and hooded sweatshirts and have always found them a complete pain in the ass. Never engaging through both pullers properly, always getting stuck.
Touch wood, I've never had a single pull give way while sitting or while moving around. I've always been a big believer of simple solutions and the two way zipper has always felt unnecessary.

LouisBailie

Banned
Personally, there are few things in life I hate more than a two way zipper. I've had them on various 'modern' coats, jackets and hooded sweatshirts and have always found them a complete pain in the ass. Never engaging through both pullers properly, always getting stuck.
Touch wood, I've never had a single pull give way while sitting or while moving around. I've always been a big believer of simple solutions and the two way zipper has always felt unnecessary.

What was the last garmet with a RiRi symmetrical solid brass zipper that you had that was difficult to operate? (compare apples to apples not apples to squash)

devilish

A-List Customer
A hooded sweatshirt that had RiRi was actually one of the worst. If I remember correctly a Spiewak M-65 type I had was fitted with RiRi as well and that was horrible also. Sorry my personal experience and preference doesn't aline with your views but there it is.

LouisBailie

Banned
A hooded sweatshirt that had RiRi was actually one of the worst. If I remember correctly a Spiewak M-65 type I had was fitted with RiRi as well and that was horrible also. Sorry my personal experience and preference doesn't aline with your views but there it is.

Go check, they are not solid brass full symmetrical zippers....if they are I will give you 500 USD for each.
Post pics of them and your address and I will write the check......compare like kind to like kind....

devilish

A-List Customer
Go check, they are not solid brass full symmetrical zippers....if they are I will give you 500 USD for each.
Post pics of them and your address and I will write the check......compare like kind to like kind....

Sadly, I no longer have either garment. One of the reasons being the horrible zippers. I'm guessing the hoodie was probably not brass but was RiRi. The M-65 was brass but I have a strong feeling you'd find some reason that it wasn't the exact zipper you are refering to and would welch on the bet. Last post in this thread. The Troll has had enough food from me.

LouisBailie

Banned
You are comparing a very inexpensive zipper with the most reliable heavy duty zipper design made by RiRi today, that is just like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Ford...

PLUS your choice to call me a name should be dealt with by a bartender......or maybe the bartender should just delete that bogus post(s) that have no contributing value to the thread..... the same people always come in and sling crap....and it is total 100% incorrect crap.

Just like the two posts above you, 1st her total bs and the next posting a link NOT referring to the solid brass RiRi symmetrical zippers.

The zipper referred to in the thread have little or no competition in the market today...SOLID BRASS SYMMETRICAL zippers are the top of the food chain in HD zippers no matter who makes them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui