Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zippered Handwarmer Pockets?

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Specifically on 3/4 style jacket like the Aero Long Halfbelt, where there is also a cargo pocket flap. I think it would be great functionally having zipps on those pockets but I haven't seen too many examples besides Highwayman/Cafe Racer style. But those don't have the overlapping cargo pocket. Any opinions on this? Photos would be ideal!

Stand By

One Too Many
I had repro Talon zips added to my redskin Aero C-3 when it was made; but that C-3 only comes out in sub-zero temperatures and I wear it over my ELC RW B-6 to extend the latter's service and I wear my A-10 gloves too - but the zips would rub on my bare wrists - and rubbing in those temperatures, they would instantly remind me that my choosing to have zips was a mistake . So I've just had them removed and replaced with russet HH and the alteration was brilliantly done by Kelly at SB (who originally made the vest). And the result is perfect! No more chafing!
So if you'll be needing the pockets specifically as hand warmers in cooler/cold weather, I'd vote no to the zips there.

Last edited:

philosophy101

A-List Customer
Specifically on 3/4 style jacket like the Aero Long Halfbelt, where there is also a cargo pocket flap. I think it would be great functionally having zipps on those pockets but I haven't seen too many examples besides Highwayman/Cafe Racer style. But those don't have the overlapping cargo pocket. Any opinions on this? Photos would be ideal!
I've often found that zippers on hand warmer pockets can scratch the wrists as the hand go in and out, so I prefer to go without.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
True, you cant just shove your hands into the pockets. You have be a bit cautious of the zips. Maybe sanding down the new zipps slightly would help.

But from a looks standpoint, wouldnt having the zipps keep it a bit crisper looking. Usually the handwarmers start gaping / sagging over time on a leather jacket.

^ Agreed...That's why I spec'd my bootlegger with zips that close toward the hem, I can't stand the bloating pocket which my AL is begining to experience
FullSizeRender.jpg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
^ Agreed...That's why I spec'd my bootlegger with zips that close toward the hem, I can't stand the bloating pocket which my AL is begining to experience View attachment 43420

I did the same thing on my AL Cafe Racer, asked for zippers to be down when pockets are closed and IMO it really cleans things out.

Now, an easy way to avoid saggy handwarmer pockets is not to use them! I used them on my first leather coat, and they sagged horribly in no time.
Since then i have decided to never use the pockets.... I will use them to store my phone or similar things, but i won't put my hands in them.
If it's cold i wear gloves.

Peacoat

Bartender
Leave the zips off of the hand warmer pockets, if you will be using them for that purpose, for the reasons stated above. I have hand warmer zips on one of my jackets, and never use them for my hands. If the jacket is for riding, then that is a different situation, and the zips can be useful for keeping stuff in the pockets.

I did the same thing on my AL Cafe Racer, asked for zippers to be down when pockets are closed and IMO it really cleans things out.

Now, an easy way to avoid saggy handwarmer pockets is not to use them! I used them on my first leather coat, and they sagged horribly in no time.
Since then i have decided to never use the pockets.... I will use them to store my phone or similar things, but i won't put my hands in them.
If it's cold i wear gloves.
I already blew it with my AL jacket. I want to add zips so they keep closed!

Agree with the guys above. Zips are fine for a riding jacket where I want to keep things like money, wallet, Chapstick, etc.
If I really want to put my hands in them, no zips. I don't often wear gloves, and cold, dry hands against zipper teeth sucks.
I also love the idea of the zips down when closed. I can never put anything of value into a pocket when it's closed, up.

Edward

Bartender
It's something I've only ever had on MC style jackets where they're a standard part of the design. Good idea if you want to keep anything in the pockets; not so necessary if you want to use them as handwarmers. I never use handwarmer pockets on my shorter jackets - my paws go in my trews instead. The one on the jacket are just there cause they look nice. My wallet, field telephone, et cetera all go in the upper or inside pockets - not the handwarmers.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Zips are usually on bike jackets, I had a wallet sucked out of a Highwayman. It cannot really be a bike jacket without( including the so called Cafe Racer design) Actually I had the wallet returned minus cash of course :( Scratching hands is why I prefer the B6 over the D1, especially in the cold.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
+1 on don't get them. I once had an authentic L.A. motorcycle officers' jacket with zips and I didn't like them. It's just unpleasant to have the zipper rake your hand and wrist every time you use them. And when it's cold, the zips get verrrry cold, which defeats the whole purpose of using a "handwarmer" pocket to begin with.

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
This thread is so insightful. Thanks for the enlightenment guys. Zippers on hand warmers are gonna be deal breakers for my next jacket.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Zippers are good on moto jackets to keep things from falling out. And may help prevent pickpockets, if that's a concern. Otherwise they're not essential. On a cold day you'll feel the teeth on your skin if it's a metal zipper. Vinyl zippers may not be classic but it won't scratch or feel cold.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Thanks for bringing up the destroys watches part. Would rather have saggy handwarmers than a scratched up Omega!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points