Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zippers come to Pants

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The first zipper (a C-Curity brand) was put into a pair of pants around 1905 and was a miserable failure, popping open at the slightest movement.
The first successful modern zipper came onto the market in 1913.

By the 1920s, zippers had started to show up on pants, but mostly were reserved for children's clothes.
Many sites credit the Duke of Windsor's use of a zipper in his trouser for popularizing zippers in men's pants and jackets. The zipper had already been in use in jackets for more than a decade at that point, and was used in sportswear. Its rise in popularity in 1937 for pants probably had much more to do with a massive media campaign by Talon.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Between 1937 and 1939, Talon ran a new ad in this campaign every month. I have copies of most, but they're all along similar lines, so I won't publish them all. After this, zippers began to take control of the market.

Hookess Fastener

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
Interesting how the early advert emphasises the fit advantages as well as the convenience of the zip. Never would have thought of it as a factor in fit.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
They will make a new movie now...Edward Zipperhands".....lol! Interesting post with the history and how they have evolved along the way in fashion and all, I think I've always taken for granted a zipper just being there, and have found now to own a pair of "button fly" trousers seems a bit rare for me, aside from one pair of Vintage trousers and several 501's.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the history! I still hate zippers in pants, ever since the zipper fiasco at an air show back in the late 80s. Nothing worse then having to keep your fly closed with a dipper pin, ( that nappy pin for those of you that speak English.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112