Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zombie Apocalypse : What would you wear?

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
Simple question.

What would you wear in case of a zombie outbreak?

I would...

1)Outerwear
2.jpg
Aero Highwayman FQHH : Leather thick enough to protect me from bites and sharp objects.

2)Bottom
jeans.jpg
Iron heart 21oz 634Z :
Heavy denim that protects me from possible bites and tear.
I chose zipper fly over button fly for the convenience when taking a piss =)

3)Boots
Drews.JPG
Drew's Boots Forest trail flat arch :
Rugged boots that protect me from possible bites and tears.
Great value when passing a harsh terrain.
Flat arch to prevent from a possible stumbling.

4)Bags
WoodsmanPack.JPG frost-river-isle-royale-bushcraft-pack-730-review-details-613.jpg

FrostRiver Woodsman
I know that modern backpacks are lighter and have more room for tools, but they just don't get along with vintage leather jackets...
Frost River Woodsman sure is heavy but durable as rock and spacious.
Pocket on the side will be a great spot to keep my axe.

So, what's your choice of attire when all hell breaks loose?
Pics would be appreciated!

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
An amusing thread concept, and appropriate in light of George Romero's recent passing. I expect what I would realistically be wearing is a bloodied, torn-up version of whatever I had on when I got turned into a zombie!

Yeah... it's sad that Romero passed away. I really liked 'Dawn of the Dead' which was based on his film...

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wouldn't wear steel toes in a situation like that. They're heavy and not as comfortable as soft toes so they'd slow you down and what are they going to protect you from? Steel toes are best at protecting from dropping items on your toes. Is that a major worry in this hypothetical situation?

I'd probably wear the following:
An armored nylon motorcycle jacket for protection. The nylon is lighter than leather and would hold up to most things as well if not better. Rain especially would be a pain in leather as it would soak it up over time.
A good pair of boots that are comfortable to walk in. Right now I'd choose either a pair of White's Smoke Jumpers if spending a lot of time off road or my Nick's bow hunters (wedge soled boots) if mostly on road. If possible I'd also carry a very light weight pair of running shoes for situations where speed would be important.
One pair of light weight zip-off hiking pants for wet situations and a pair of jeans for the rest of the time.
Long sleeved nylon hiking shirt and a merino wool t-shirt

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't wear steel toes in a situation like that. They're heavy and not as comfortable as soft toes so they'd slow you down and what are they going to protect you from? Steel toes are best at protecting from dropping items on your toes. Is that a major worry in this hypothetical situation?

An armored nylon motorcycle jacket for protection. The nylon is lighter than leather and would hold up to most things as well if not better. Rain especially would be a pain in leather as it would soak it up over time.
A good pair of boots that are comfortable to walk in. Right now I'd choose either a pair of White's Smoke Jumpers if spending a lot of time off road or my Nick's bow hunters (wedge soled boots) if mostly on road. If possible I'd also carry a very light weight pair of running shoes for situations where speed would be important.
One pair of light weight zip-off hiking pants for wet situations and a pair of jeans for the rest of the time.

Very analytic. I didn't even take rain into a consideration... It would be necessary to keep mountaineering clothes inside the bag in case of heavy rain.
But I would still wear my leather jacket. Leather jacket gives some kind of emotional protection... hard to explain... haha

Highest possible grade leather motorcycle suit, full armor, gloves, boots, etc. Alpinestars, Dainese, that sorta stuff. From my own closet, though... I don't know, I guess it'd be Vanson cop jacket. And AK-74.

Eventually, I hope I'd end up looking like this, tho...

Toecutter.jpg

ProteinNerd

I'd probably grab my armoured leather motorcycle gear, hiking boots and my Katana and Tanto. VERY few guns here so a sword is the next best thing.

@casechopper I don't think nylon would offer anywhere near as much protection from bites as leather.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Definitely something layered and durable, like double denim and flannel, which would serve me over winters, as well as serve my need for durability. Same with my boots. I'd go for my Carolina loggers. They're heavy and would slow me down, but they're very durable. Although my bush jacket carries a lot of pockets, it would reduce my movement and wouldn't provide a lot of protection. So, I'd probably go with this:

Top & Bottom:
hHMYrke.jpg

Boots:
WlgEI8r.jpg

Bag:
IMG_6199.png

casechopper

I'd probably grab my armoured leather motorcycle gear, hiking boots and my Katana and Tanto. VERY few guns here so a sword is the next best thing.

@casechopper I don't think nylon would offer anywhere near as much protection from bites as leather.

I can't bite through nylon... The heavy stuff used in motorcycle gear isn't easily punctured by teeth. The extra weight and inferior water repelency of leather is what would make me choose nylon. Leather is cooler looking though. If blood or saliva is the assumed transmitting agent I'd want something non absorbent as well. Nylon can be hosed off and hit with harsh sanitizing chemicals without much issue. Trying to sanitize leather fully would be tough.

Woodyear

Familiar Face

Plus steel toed boots would give you a nice case of frostbite on the toes come winter.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana