Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zoolander's shoes? But 1920s!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

I did a triple take when I saw this pair of vintage men's shoes. Just couldn't believe my eyes.

From the 1920s. But look at the design! Could be from the late '70s, or even from today. The only things that really give away the shoes' true age: the flat, narrow cotton laces (which are presumably original, since the shoes are deadstock) ... and the silhouette of the heels and soles.

Incredible!

ae9a_1_sbl.jpg

b675_1_sbl.jpg
b416_1_sbl.jpg

b8be_1_sbl.jpg

Marc Chevalier said:

I did a triple take when I saw this pair of vintage men's shoes. Just couldn't believe my eyes.

From the 1920s. But look at the design! Could be from the late '70s, or even from today. The only things that really give away the shoes' true age: the flat, narrow cotton laces ... and the silhouette of the soles.

Incredible!

ae9a_1_sbl.jpg

b675_1_sbl.jpg
b416_1_sbl.jpg

b8be_1_sbl.jpg

What?! Are they Stacy Adams? :p ;)

Regards,

J

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Wouldn't quite fool me, nor you Marc either I will wager. But I agree, they do look damn close to all those seventies shoes that get it so close but jsut miss the mark. Now I see that I am wrong. Those seventies shoes actually do hit the mark more closely thatn I thought. They just hit the wrong mark. They don't imitate the shoes I know from the era. They imitate these.

What I hate most about the seventies on seems to be the high heel, not entirely non vintage, the odd stitching and shapes, which we can now see is also not non vintage, and also the thin light leather, which these also seem to kind of have.

Question is, if you had a shoe or anything else you knew was vintage, but to you really looked seventies, would you wear it?

Personally, I kind of hate those seventies shoes for some reason, and would have a hard time wearing anything that looked like them, even if it were vintage. Odd I know.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
1920s shoes

My question is how such gems appear on eBay. Where do you hide/who does hide an unused pair of shoes for 90 years in their original box?

Jay

Practically Family
I thought about this when I found 4 deadstock shirts from the 50s, 60s and 70s right next to one another. Like with pins still in them and inspector tags in the pockets. How else would new shirts from different eras be grouped together? I came to one conclusion. Old clothing stores. Perhaps stuff gets lost in back, or doesn't sell at first, and ends up in a dark corner for 50 years.
Anyone else have ideas?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Jay said:
I thought about this when I found 4 deadstock shirts from the 50s, 60s and 70s right next to one another. Like with pins still in them and inspector tags in the pockets. How else would new shirts from different eras be grouped together? I came to one conclusion. Old clothing stores. Perhaps stuff gets lost in back, or doesn't sell at first, and ends up in a dark corner for 50 years.
Anyone else have ideas?

Could be. Other times it might be someone who buys a lot of clothes and never wears them. Ben McGinty in LA once came across an estate full of sport shirts and slacks from oviatts. All in the boxes, never worn. talk about a dream score. They guy must have had an obsessive compulsive disordeer and just bought and bought. I once knew a dealer who had also bought an estate of dozens of similar three button tan suits.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
reetpleat said:
Ben McGinty in LA once came across an estate full of sport shirts and slacks from Oviatts. All in the boxes, never worn. talk about a dream score. They guy must have had an obsessive compulsive disordeer and just bought and bought.

Ben found these at the estate of a horse racing bookie, a personal friend of James Oviatt himself (who was a racing fanatic). The guy had tons of clothes from Alexander & Oviatt, as well as Bullocks Wilshire and Desmond's. Included were five pairs of the most insanely wild spectator shoes I've ever seen. (I ended up with a pair of taupe suede oxfords from the '30s.)

Reetpleet, you can revisit some of those sportshirts here:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=109697&postcount=6

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=109700&postcount=7

And here's the entire thread, Reetpleet: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=8676&highlight=Menswear

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Haberdashers

Looks like Pepys was in Sydney where people used to by my old school's uniforms. There was a famous wire system to allow the payments to reach the pay clerk from the desk where the cutomers purchased their goods.

''Gowings" of course had a similar name. One of the most famous expressions in Australia is "gone to Gowings".

Then when you go to the old country towns that had the "big store" like in Bellingen you can't believe how much style was attached in those days to haberdashery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112