Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zorro Hat

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
I'm in the process of going through my dads things and came accross a black spanish looking hat, very well made, says Beaver inside and has a drawstring neck thingy? anyway, my dad is 80 however this hat I believe he purchased in the 70s, its in mint condition as he stored it properly.

I know nothing about hats... other than fedoras that is ;)
I do know dad was a huge Zorro fan, not the antonio banderas remakes but the Tyrone Power and B/W matinee ones he'd see as a kid.

I didn't take any pictures (no time) but wanted to know if these hats are desirable or worth anything?

Thanks for your help! my hat is off to you :)

rlk

I'll Lock Up
This style of hat falls more squarely in the "costume" category and is mostly popular as an inexpensive dress-up item. Zorro or Gaucho costumes or perhaps someone who Tangos seriously(or Flamenco too). A beaver quality hat would be more unusual, but still not in high-priced demand. Size is also a factor, with larger sizes more valuable. Also sometimes a women's riding hat. Not a style most Fedora Loungers would covet.

I did see two persons wearing them at a showing of the 1920 Mark of Zorro film with Douglas Fairbanks on Friday.
4865178531_a9809bf9cd_b.jpg

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
TY RLK!

My dad did love dressing up lol but what most impressed me about the hat i found in our house was the quality.... def stated beaver and i believe was a sz 7.5 ? the interior is white satin w/ gold writing and just. pristine!

I know nothing about hats especially, mens.

For the record, a guy wearing a Fedora will most definately catch my attention! ;)

Haversack

One Too Many
In the Spanish-speaking world, you will find that the hat Zorro is depicted as wearing is called a Sombrero Cordobes, or simply a cordobes for short. It is named for the city of Cordoba in southern Spain. High quality fur felt Cordobes are still being made in Spain. (and by some hatters in the US making for the 19th C. reenactment crowd)

Here is a site on the history and manufacture of Cordobes.
http://www.arrakis.es/~mcapilla/sombrerocordobes/index2.html

Here is the site of the hatters in Cordoba that makes them.
http://rusiherederos.com/historia.html
http://rusiherederos.com/artesania.html

The cordobes is regional style of hat much as the loden Tyrolean hat is. Practical too, where the sun is strong.

Haversack.
(who regularly wears a pecan fur felt cordobes.)

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Shopgirl61,

Your dad's hat--both Bolero and Gaucho are accurate terms--sounds interesting, but I'd need some pics to be more definitive: Front, side, top, and inside views, plus close-ups of writing on the sweatband and lining would be great.

Is it basically like the ones in the links provided by rlk and jdbenson? Based on info provided so far, I can say this:

If it's made of pure beaver fur felt, it is not a costume hat, of which there are two varieties--the cheapo wools made to wear to a halloween party, and the quality ones made for props in movies, which are almost always rabbit/hare fur felt or sometimes a beaver-rabbit mix.

However, it could be a re-make of a famous movie hat, like John Wayne's Red River Western or the hats Clint Eastwood wore in the Sergio Leone trilogy. There are several companies that specialize in making such hats. They are often available in beaver and are very expensive new.

What makes you say your dad got it in the 1970s? That era was the nadir of fine hat making, yet apparently your dad's is a high quality beaver. My best guess is that it's either of older vintage or perhaps a modern re-make of a famous film hat. Keep in mind that Zorro was but one who wore a gaucho in the movies; rlk's link shows Lee Van Cleef wearing one in "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly." Forget the film name right now, but Yul Bryner also wore a gaucho in a Western he starred in.

Being 100% beaver, in pristine condition, and with the box, I believe your hat would bring at least $150, perhaps more if you are patient and find the right buyer, but know that the gaucho style is in generally low demand. It's a 7 1/2, so that'll make it easier to find more big-headed buyers willing to pay a bit extra for their size. I'd be interested myself were it a 7 or 7 1/8.

Post pics and we'll be able to tell you much more.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
AlterEgo said:
Being 100% beaver, in pristine condition, and with the box, I believe your hat would bring at least $150, perhaps more [..] Post pics and we'll be able to tell you much more.

I agree that pics are mandatory when it comes to making estimates, and that this would not be not a style in great demand around this Forum.

Even with pics it can be very hard to predict what a given hat will sell for. But based on what we have read and seen thus far, I myself would expect it to sell in today's market for much less than 150.

That's just my opinion/guess, and I could easily be wrong. ;)

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
I will post pic's of it just as soon as I get them.
my sibs nor I have any use or desire for this gaucho hat and my only desire is to get it into the right hands of appreciation :)

I moved dad into an assisted living facilty because he has alzhiemers, I have only begun to unearth what treasures he had in our (now mine) house.

Did I mention he also had a sword collection? and omg! knives, daggers :eek:
He just LOVED Zorro and Indiana Jones, Conann the barbarian...

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
shopgirl61 said:
I will post pic's of it just as soon as I get them.
my sibs nor I have any use or desire for this gaucho hat and my only desire is to get it into the right hands of appreciation :)

I moved dad into an assisted living facilty because he has alzhiemers, I have only begun to unearth what treasures he had in our (now mine) house.

I'm sorry to hear about your father's illness. That must be very hard on everyone.

I think that selling articles into the hands of people who will appreciate them is the best attitude. Selling to try to get the highest price is stressful. I was going to suggest as much earlier. Just auction your hat with a low opening bid and no reserve. Use good photos. Let the market set the price. At the end of the day, that's how we learn the (cash) value of things anyway. Sometimes things sell lower than expected, sometimes higher. In the end it balances out. This low stress approach is easy and has a good chance of making everyone happy. ;)

donnc

One of the Regulars

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
donnc said:
No way shopgirl61 is going to get snookered like that, she's doing the research and is going to know how much it's worth. (If anything.)

Here's an link, while it works, to a Lagomarsino "plato redondo" style, at a Buenos Aires shop. http://articulo.deremate.com.ar/MLA-89836657-sombrero-plato-redondo-lagomarsino-pelo-liebre-100-_JM

Gentleman, please, I came here because i know nothing of hats and i am putting my sweet vintage trust in you here. I am not the least bit interested in making $$ off of my daddy's belongings, my name is Y,,,, not Jackson :) (as in MJ) the things i have thus far unearthed and have incredible value to me are his old Army photos... Dad was in the Army Band and to this day, dang proud he entertained his fellow brothers etc. during his duty.

Let's leave the cattiness to the ladies in the powder room lol <jk>

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
shopgirl61 said:
I'm in the process of going through my dads things and came accross a black spanish looking hat, very well made, says Beaver inside and has a drawstring neck thingy? anyway, my dad is 80 however this hat I believe he purchased in the 70s, its in mint condition as he stored it properly.

I know nothing about hats... other than fedoras that is ;)
I do know dad was a huge Zorro fan, not the antonio banderas remakes but the Tyrone Power and B/W matinee ones he'd see as a kid.

I didn't take any pictures (no time) but wanted to know if these hats are desirable or worth anything?

Thanks for your help! my hat is off to you :)
I would expect to get $70-200 off an E-Bay auction. The thing is that to get a better price, people have to bid against each other; so for an unusual hat such as you have you would want the widest possible marketplace. The beaver felt is certainly a big draw. Once covetous madness sets in, you might hit the higher number. $250 tops, I would think.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
shopgirl61 said:
Dad was in the Army Band and to this day, dang proud he entertained his fellow brothers etc. during his duty.

This reminds me of something, PBS is doing some Big Band programing this week. Among other things, I caught great footage of the the Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B being performed in the 40s. ;)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Hello Shop Girl. Seeing the pics, here is my impression. Beaver Hats is the brand name. I doubt that the hat is actually made of beaver. Notice how it says 100% Genuine Fur rather than 100% Beaver? It seems to me that were it 100% beaver the maker would surely have stated as much. This is not to say that it's not a nice hat. A hat need not be made of beaver to be good. It may have some beaver in it, and then again it may not. I think many with experience in this area will agree that it's unlikely to have much (if any) beaver, and that it's more likely made of rabbit or hare, or some sort of blend. Let's see if there is any sort of agreement as others post their impressions. I am the first to admit that one opinion does not a consensus make. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points