Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zorro Hat

donnc

One of the Regulars
shopgirl61 said:

For what? Most of the initial speculation on its value seems to be born out pretty well. You can find similar Beaver models for sale new for comparison, and anyway you're not interested in making $$. So ... ??

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
donnc said:
For what? Most of the initial speculation on its value seems to be born out pretty well. You can find similar Beaver models for sale new for comparison, and anyway you're not interested in making $$. So ... ??

not true. I wouldn't look good wearing this so, yes, i am going to sell it.

My father worked at an upscale 'mens clothing' store from the early 60s, this hat I am certain was special ordered and as the label implies, custom made.
and I disagree that because it states 100% fur that it contains anything other than beaver. What should it say? 100% pelt from...[huh]

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
shopgirl61 said:
not true. I wouldn't look good wearing this so, yes, i am going to sell it.

My father worked at an upscale 'mens clothing' store from the early 60s, this hat I am certain was special ordered and as the label implies, custom made.
and I disagree that because it states 100% fur that it contains anything other than beaver. What should it say? 100% pelt from...[huh]

100% rabbit fur, the 10x being whatever blend of furs and finishing that seperates it from their models of semi custom hats with more or less x's. If it had actual beaver content the maker would specifically mention it had beaver fur and not just use the word 'beaver' in the company name.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Shopgirl61,

Thanks for the photos, which provide much better insight into what this hat is all about, though the quality of the pics is not so sharp on my monitor.

Even so, this much we can say for sure: It's a Beaver brand, which in the universe of hats, lies in the upper-middle to lower-upper bracket. It contains no beaver fur, but is 100% rabbit or hare fur felt--a good thing. In Beaver's scheme, 10X is its middle level of fur felt quality.

Though not a precise dating method, the presence of the plastic protector on the top underside of the crown is consistent with manufacture in the 1970s or later.

This hat is made to be worn as a regular hat, for those who simply prefer the cordorbes style, meaning it is not a costume hat, a movie re-creation hat, or a historical re-enactment hat. Yes, it resembles the Zorro hat, but it is what it is, and, personally, I find that especially refreshing.

Now here's the real kicker: I had a girlfriend in college who had that exact hat! In fact, I probably would have never met her had it not been for her hat--and mine.

The year was 1978, and I had just transferred to a large state university where I knew practically no one. It was the first day of class, and when I walked into the auditorium where Psychology 2500 was being held--a class of 200 students--I immediately spotted this attractive blonde because she was wearing a black gaucho. It was rare for young people to wear a hats in those days, especially men, but I had on my Tyrolean, she her gaucho, so we had something unusual in common, which made it a cinch to introduce myself.

Though this to-die-for gal would have looked terrific in just about anything, the bolero was the perfect style for her, as she liked to wear long, pleated skirts or jodhpurs with puffy-sleaved blouses, maybe a leather vest or riding coat, and tall boots. Though short, she had a very erect bearing, accentuated by the hat, its brim always perfectly parallel to the ground.

She wore the hat almost every day, and had a collection of variously colored hatbands she'd switch out on it to match her Southwest American attire. The turquoise, red and black one made from tiny beads arranged in a Navaho pattern sticks in my memory.

From Florida, she was, in fact an expert horseman (horsewoman?), as her family was in the business of breeding thoroughbreds. Alas, our thing was short-lived, as she found The Man of her Dreams, and I fell in love with another, as well. However, she and I remained friendly all through college.

Back on point, I saw and handled that hat many times, and am sure it is the exact same as yours, only in a much smaller size. Like you, she and I thought it was made from Beaver pelts back then. It was only many years later that I became a hat guru and realized it was not. That's the only problem I have with Beaver Brand hats: The company has made some beaver fur hats, but it appears to have intentionally selected that name to derive the favorable halo effect of the word "beaver," which shouts "quality."

OK, value? $50 to $100, weighted towards the upper end because of its excellent condition and the somewhat-above-average, 7 1/2 size, as Big Heads realize they have to pay more.

Since you are not looking to generate cash from your dad's belongings, I'd keep the hat as a memento. You might find a nice home for it elsewhere, but you never really know what's going to happen to it, so the safest home is your own.

Swords and daggers, too, eh? I collect edged weapons, also, and might be able to help you with that topic, as well. PM me, if you like.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
AlterEgo said:
Shopgirl61,

Though this to-die-for gal would have looked terrific in just about anything, the bolero was the perfect style for her, as she liked to wear long, pleated skirts or jodhpurs with puffy-sleaved blouses, maybe a leather vest or riding coat, and tall boots. Though short, she had a very erect bearing, accentuated by the hat, its brim always perfectly parallel to the ground.

She wore the hat almost every day, and had a collection of variously colored hatbands she'd switch out on it to match her Southwest American attire. The turquoise, red and black one made from tiny beads arranged in a Navaho pattern sticks in my memory.

From Florida, she was, in fact an expert horseman (horsewoman?), as her family was in the business of breeding thoroughbreds. Alas, our thing was short-lived, as she found The Man of her Dreams, and I fell in love with another, as well. However, she and I remained friendly all through college.

Well, you've got me swooning ;) What a lovely story! I ride horses as does my dd however we ride english and although i've spaniard in my blood, I wouldn't be able to pull off a Catherine Zeta-Jones as Elena de la vega lol. btw, i'd like to ask you to define a "to-die-for-gal"? (i know abit ot but my post) :)

AlterEgo said:
Shopgirl61,

Thanks for the photos, which provide much better insight into what this hat is all about, though the quality of the pics is not so sharp on my monitor.

Even so, this much we can say for sure: It's a Beaver brand, which in the universe of hats, lies in the upper-middle to lower-upper bracket. It contains no beaver fur, but is 100% rabbit or hare fur felt--a good thing. In Beaver's scheme, 10X is its middle level of fur felt quality.

Though not a precise dating method, the presence of the plastic protector on the top underside of the crown is consistent with manufacture in the 1970s or later.

This hat is made to be worn as a regular hat, for those who simply prefer the cordorbes style, meaning it is not a costume hat, a movie re-creation hat, or a historical re-enactment hat. Yes, it resembles the Zorro hat, but it is what it is, and, personally, I find that especially refreshing.

Now here's the real kicker: I had a girlfriend in college who had that exact hat! In fact, I probably would have never met her had it not been for her hat--and mine.

The year was 1978, and I had just transferred to a large state university where I knew practically no one. It was the first day of class, and when I walked into the auditorium where Psychology 2500 was being held--a class of 200 students--I immediately spotted this attractive blonde because she was wearing a black gaucho. It was rare for young people to wear a hats in those days, especially men, but I had on my Tyrolean, she her gaucho, so we had something unusual in common, which made it a cinch to introduce myself.

Back on point, I saw and handled that hat many times, and am sure it is the exact same as yours, only in a much smaller size. Like you, she and I thought it was made from Beaver pelts back then. It was only many years later that I became a hat guru and realized it was not. That's the only problem I have with Beaver Brand hats: The company has made some beaver fur hats, but it appears to have intentionally selected that name to derive the favorable halo effect of the word "beaver," which shouts "quality."

OK, value? $50 to $100, weighted towards the upper end because of its excellent condition and the somewhat-above-average, 7 1/2 size, as Big Heads realize they have to pay more.

Since you are not looking to generate cash from your dad's belongings, I'd keep the hat as a memento. You might find a nice home for it elsewhere, but you never really know what's going to happen to it, so the safest home is your own.

Swords and daggers, too, eh? I collect edged weapons, also, and might be able to help you with that topic, as well. PM me, if you like.

:eek:fftopic:
Alterego,

Once again you astound me with woman and hat story!

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Shopgirl61,

I do not have a particular "type" of woman I find "to-die-for," such as busty beach babe blondes, but the college gaucho girl had a radiant countenance with striking blue eyes and a wide, bright smile; straight, shoulder-length natural blonde hair; and a slender though shapely figure. Though far from haughty, her overall expression and body language telegraphed "I am something special." The cordobes hat and Southwestern attire reinforced that.

Hatophile,

Also :eek:fftopic: Thanks for the nice compliment. Like collecting hats, writing stories from my life experience is another avocation. Where the two converge, well, so much the better.

Seeing your Lyle Lovett quote, I think you might find this story, in which hats play a small part, interesting:

I was working as the Director of Training for a small division of a major corporation in a tiny town in Indiana in the early 1990s when my administrative assistant returned from a morning errand all atwitter.

She was sure she had seen mega-star Julia Roberts embracing "some goofy-looking guy" near her church. Only because I was into his music and knew he was dating her was I sure that had to be Lyle Lovett. She said they had big cowboy hats pulled down over their heads--apparently to disguise themselves--but were otherwise dressed up as if for some special occasion.

She couldn't concentrate and do any work, and it was a slow day anyway, so we jumped in my tricked-out Dinan 535 and burned over there just in time to see Julia and Lyle scoot out after having just gotten married. For spotting radar cops, I keep a compact pair of powerful bincoculars in my glove box, and it was definitely the famous actress and unique musician.

To give the media the slip, they'd picked Marion, IN to say their vows because it was the most out-of-the-way Nowheresville place on the planet.

It worked, for she and I were among only a handful of people who knew what was going on before the story broke. By then, the newlyweds were long gone.

AlterEgo said:
Shopgirl61,

I do not have a particular "type" of woman I find "to-die-for," such as busty beach babe blondes, but the college gaucho girl had a radiant countenance with striking blue eyes and a wide, bright smile; straight, shoulder-length natural blonde hair; and a slender though shapely figure. Though far from haughty, her overall expression and body language telegraphed "I am something special." The cordobes hat and Southwestern attire reinforced that.

Hatophile,

Also :eek:fftopic: Thanks for the nice compliment. Like collecting hats, writing stories from my life experience is another avocation. Where the two converge, well, so much the better.

Seeing your Lyle Lovett quote, I think you might find this story, in which hats play a small part, interesting:

I was working as the Director of Training for a small division of a major corporation in a tiny town in Indiana in the early 1990s when my administrative assistant returned from a morning errand all atwitter.

She was sure she had seen mega-star Julia Roberts embracing "some goofy-looking guy" near her church. Only because I was into his music and knew he was dating her was I sure that had to be Lyle Lovett. She said they had big cowboy hats pulled down over their heads--apparently to disguise themselves--but were otherwise dressed up as if for some special occasion.

She couldn't concentrate and do any work, and it was a slow day anyway, so we jumped in my tricked-out Dinan 535 and burned over there just in time to see Julia and Lyle scoot out after having just gotten married. For spotting radar cops, I keep a compact pair of powerful bincoculars in my glove box, and it was definitely the famous actress and unique musician.

To give the media the slip, they'd picked Marion, IN to say their vows because it was the most out-of-the-way Nowheresville place on the planet.

It worked, for she and I were among only a handful of people who knew what was going on before the story broke. By then, the newlyweds were long gone.

Dang Man!

You should think about doing a collection "Hat Stories" or something like that,
you have some great ones! :eusa_clap

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
hatophile said:
Dang Man!

You should think about doing a collection "Hat Stories" or something like that,
you have some great ones! :eusa_clap

Still :eek:fftopic: , but your home town in Canton, OH is actually not far from Marion, IN. Drive due west on U.S 30, angle down I-75 through Lima, then take OH State 703/29 west across the state line, where it turns into IN State 67/18. Stay on that road, and 5 miles after you cross I-69, you'll run right into it. Not that there'd EVER be a reason to go there, but blink and you'll miss it!

When there, I worked for the glass container division of American National Can, and we made bottles for Anheuser-Busch. It was our primary customer that had a big brewery in Columbus, so I used drive there occasionally on business. I've been to Akron just north of you a few times, but only stopped in your fair city to take a leak. It was a good leak, as I recall.

At any rate, the Julia Roberts-Lyle Lovett wedding was the biggest thing to happen in Marion, IN since the infamous lynching that took place there on the town square in the 1930s, the last such documented public lynching to occur in the U.S.

Anyway, to finish the story:

The wedding was all over and the famous newlyweds long gone, but by mid-afternoon, a swarm of Indianapolis, Chicago, and even national news media converged on the place, anyway. They had to get their story, and since the stars were absent, they interviewed anyone and everyone who saw or heard anything remotely relevant. Turns out, it was my admin's pastor who performed the ceremony. He wouldn't do an on-camera or in-person interview, giving a written and, honestly, dull statement, instead.

So out the reporters fanned. I don't know how they found her and me--probably my unique black BMW was seen in the area at the time of the nuptials--but into my stand-alone training center there suddenly thundered a crowd of media with cameras and tape recorders, the whole nine yards.

The consummate Organization Man, I definitely had nothing to say and only got my personal office door locked in the nick of time because I happened to be near it when the media stampede occurred. On the other hand, my admin, who was just on the other side and still giddy from all the excitement, was more than happy to give a genuinely enthusiastic interview. She appeared on TV news that evening and in a few major newspapers the following day, even a national weekly news magazine a few days later. Her 15 minutes of fame extended into almost a week.

If I'd only thought to snag the professional-grade video camera in my training center before we left to investigate her sighting and took some footage of the famous pair, I could have sold it for a pretty penny.

:eek:fftopic:, Still,

Wow, if only, huh? Well I am not a native Cantonite, but do like it here. Of course just north in Cleveland is the infamous Rock Hall of Fame, here in Canton is the Football Hall of Fame.

I do enjoy Lyle's music, he has a nice distinct voice, and his musical tastes span multiple genres. I'd like to see him in concert sometime. I'm sure it would have been interesting to watch the wedding, albeit from afar.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
Good day gentlemen!

Before a mod comes along and puts a plug in my post ;-)
I want to thank you for your help. among the million things i've got to do on my plate,,,, I really do hope to sell this hat to a deserving home that is.

My only problem is that i cannot find anything via google that goes into "vintage" hats by Beaver [huh] I have found lots on modern, stetson etc.. But nothing that has my label.

I would rather you pm me if you have knowledge and/or some kind advice as to where I can look? The 1 thing I know for CERTAIN,,,, is this hat was a custom order, placed by my dad from the mens store he worked at in the early 60s - early 70s I came across some old pictures of him wearing it so I can date it.

Peace:)

I'm not sure what other advice you are seeking but because your father custom ordered it does not seem to be abnormal for this hat company so as to add any additional interest or value =
In 1860, the Beaver Brand line of hats was established in St. Louis, Missouri, the fur capital of America. The Beaver Brand name has endured as a respected part of the hat industry. New Haven, Missouri, has been the home of one of America's best and most experienced hat production lines since 1928. Second and Third generation hat-makers provide customers with some of the finest felt hats available today. While many companies are moving their production line to foreign soil, Beaver Brand Hats continues its proud heritage of using USA craftsmanship since 1860.

Since all Beaver Brand hats are custom made especially for each hat aficionado, please allow 5-8 weeks for delivery.

It is not old enough to be a real "vintage" interest, usually takes being in the 1950s or earlier for that. The style is different & will only attract certain interest for purchase.
If that hat was something of importance to my departed father, it would never depart my ownership for any amount of $$$$.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
It's funny. The first time I saw this thread, this image came to mind.
zorro1.jpg

Sorry, just the way my warped mind works.

Cheers!

Dan

navarre

Vendor
Good form Dan, Good form. Not to many people go in for Zorro the Gay Blade(not a bad flick really) but if anyone wants a good laugh ask for it at your local video store. Well, that is if there are any video stores left. Saw it when it came out and one day thought it would be a good watch. Couldn't believe how many "We don't carry those kind of movies" comments I got.

www.blacksheephatworks.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto