Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

“Casablanca” 80th anniversary

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I expect that the 80th anniversary of Casablanca (Nov 1942) will generate a lot of enthusiasm and nostalgia this year. It is already starting.

Edward

Bartender
Madeline Lebeau, who leads off the singing of the French anthem in that clip, just died a few years ago; as of about 2008 (I think she died in 2017?) she was the last surviving member of the credited Casablanca cast.

Powerful scene; there was a cute homage to it in Pennyworth. The only screen-take on 'We'll meet again' that comes close to its use in Dr Strangelove.

Edward

Bartender
Somewhere in storage I have a book I bought years ago which is, from memory, a script of the film with photos of almost every shot in it, wonderful thing. I believe it dates to that period in the 70s / early eighties before home video became a real norm and 'book of the film' was how most people relived favourite films at times of their own choosing. Novelisations and such of films (as distinct from books made into films) seem to have gone by the wayside in the era of home video and then disk.

The DVD format brought with it a lot of extras, commentaries and such (carried on with BD also) which I really hope we don't lose to the streaming take-over.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Somewhere in storage I have a book I bought years ago which is, from memory, a script of the film with photos of almost every shot in it, wonderful thing. I believe it dates to that period in the 70s / early eighties before home video became a real norm and 'book of the film' was how most people relived favourite films at times of their own choosing. Novelisations and such of films (as distinct from books made into films) seem to have gone by the wayside in the era of home video and then disk.

The DVD format brought with it a lot of extras, commentaries and such (carried on with BD also) which I really hope we don't lose to the streaming take-over.

Harmetz I loved, will look into Plath. Edward, please dig out that treasure and post all particulars.

Aside from my heart having been struck by Cupid's golden arrow and since puberty being hopelessly
in love with Ingrid Bergman, Casablanca is more, much much more than a mere 'classic' film.
No other motion picture captured the harsh reality of love and its terrible truth so measured against
destined heartbreak, innate self respect, and probable tragedy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana