Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

“Return to the Hundred Acre Wood"

Story

I'll Lock Up
Look for any prior mention of this, but found nothing..

“Return to the Hundred Acre Wood,” the first authorized sequel to the A. A. Milne classic Winnie-the-Pooh books in more than 80 years, is out on Monday, inviting the question, “Why now?,” as well as, “Why do it at all?”
Dutton published the first four books in which Pooh appears. “Winnie-the-Pooh” was published in 1926, followed by “The House at Pooh Corner” in 1928.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/05/books/05pooh.html

ron521

One of the Regulars
The last book I read with Pooh-bear as a character was "The Tao of Pooh", but I'm not sure that was authorized.
The fact that there IS an authorized sequel 83 years later demonstrates just how large a shadow Pooh casts over Western culture.
Think of all the other times he or his friends have appeared:
A song in the '70s "The House at Pooh Corner"
Disney's series of animated films
A whole bunch of books similar to "The Tao of Pooh"
Others?

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
What an interesting article! I'm very, very skeptical. I sold vintage and out of print children's books for years before moving into the world of vintage clothing professionally, and have a deep attachement to these books. I'm more of the mind that they are perfect just as they are - the world has enough Pooh in the original Milne volumes.

On the other hand, perhaps returning to a prose-like Pooh will help erase the terrible damage that the animated Disney-fried version did to the memory of Milne's work. Like some of the folks in the article, I will reserve judgement until I have see the product. (But of course in this case, it is a product, and not art, which rather troubles me.)

Another

I am currently listening to these 78 rpm records:

1120092204.jpg

1120092205.jpg

Yes, James Stewart as in Jimmy Stewart is narrating - they are so charming - I just love his voice.

Here's a look at the book pages inside the album:

1120092206.jpg

I grew up on pooh and still enjoy those stories very much.

I haven't seen this new book, but perhaps when I go to the bookstore next time I will have a look

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My daughter still does not understand that Winnie is not a fecal matter. Her only association with the word Poo(h) is the latter one. Not sure what to do about this. Suggestions welcome.

PS JuliePdx, great new avatar-photo.

ron521

One of the Regulars
On a similar note, the novel "Shangri-La" by Eleanor Cooney and Daniel Altieri, was published in 1996, 63 years after "Lost Horizon".
I'm not certain if the newer book was authorized, but it was a sequel, involving some of the same characters as the original.
I do remember finding it a pretty enjoyable read.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Spoiler

I also grew up on Pooh. My mother read it to us, and she was a wonderful out loud reader. She gave every character a unique voice. I'm VERY leery of this attempt. Very leery.
One of the unique things about the Pooh series is that it ENDS. Christopher Robin takes Pooh to a special place in the forest and tells him, or tries to, that he will soon be growing up and going away. I remember the shock of this moment as a small child. The first intimation of a lot of deep ideas. It's this honesty that gives the books their power. I'm leery.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
My daughter still does not understand that Winnie is not a fecal matter. Her only association with the word Poo(h) is the latter one. Not sure what to do about this. Suggestions welcome.

Ask her, Q: what does Scooby-Doo leave at the curb by the fire hydrant?

A: Scooby Poo.

I got a million of 'em
. ;)

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
I also grew up on Pooh. My mother read it to us, and she was a wonderful out loud reader. She gave every character a unique voice. I'm VERY leery of this attempt. Very leery.
One of the unique things about the Pooh series is that it ENDS. Christopher Robin takes Pooh to a special place in the forest and tells him, or tries to, that he will soon be growing up and going away. I remember the shock of this moment as a small child. The first intimation of a lot of deep ideas. It's this honesty that gives the books their power. I'm leery.

Exactly right: Milne himself ended the stories. Christopher Robin consciously moves out of childhood, but still talks to Pooh as he moves. The emotional impact is powerful. The event and the entire context closes the life of those charatcters, with no open end for a "sequel."

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
I know this sounds funny, but is there any slight inflection or different way of pronouncing "Pooh" that sounds different from "poo?" Try saying it like it has German umlauts or something.

And I gotta say, it's your own fault... should have just stuck with "nummer two"

Doran said:

PS JuliePdx, great new avatar-photo.
Thanks, Tim. :) (It's 'cause I'm modeling my own hats and coats on Etsy!)

Story

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
"In a postapocalyptic nightmare Wood -- ONE BEAR stands between the Future and Oblivion! POOH THE UNCONQUERED! He's Not Your Babysitter's Winnie!"

Winnie the Pooh *has* been having some anger issues of late. Oh dear.
car,machine,gun,winnie,pooh-168740280061ed344e417b1a0609a07e_m.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Hamilton_Honey said:
I am currently listening to these 78 rpm records:

Yes, James Stewart as in Jimmy Stewart is narrating - they are so charming - I just love his voice.

Boy, I'd love to hear those! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I wonder it they're out on CD yet? :p

I bought the Winnie the Pooh books to read to my girlfriend's kids back in the '80s. Rhonda and I got married in 2004. Her kids still remember me reading to them, and she still had the books! Now I'm reading them to our grandchildren. :D

I've bought the new book, but haven't read it yet.

I can still remember my own mother reading Winnie the Pooh stories to us--especially In Which Pooh Meets a Heffalump. She could barely make it through the part where Piglet is trying to tell Christopher Robin about the Heffalump, she was laughing so hard! lol lol

Cheers,
Tom

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
Winnie Ther Pooh went back to being Edward Bear and no longer lived under the name of Sanders.

The stories had a real end but they are also forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot