Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

14KT Gold Filled Jewelry / Where to Buy online ?

Sonero

Practically Family
I am not sure if there is a thread dedicated to this but :

Where do you recommend looking for authentic / stamped 14K/ GF jewelry online ?
I am new to this but apparently true gold filled is bonded to another metal and has a minimum of 5% real gold and is much more durable and tarnish resistant. It isn't cheap.

Another method I was looking into is PVD plating which is basically gold paint on top of 316 stainless steel correct ?

Many people on Etsy claim their items are gold filled but it is actually plated.

By the way I have no problem paying for real 14K but wearing a $6K necklace everyday in public is asking for trouble. If someone snatched a $300 chain off my neck that is a different story.

Who carries high quality gold filled jewelry online ?

Last edited:

Aerielle Max

One of the Regulars
This is interesting, I never have thought one would ask this. I am hoping the more experienced members can answer this.

Flanderian

Practically Family
Sorry to be of no assistance, but your question prompted me to revisit the question of exactly what constitutes an item being gold filled. An interest of mine, and something in the past that I would occasionally add are antique/estate/vintage cufflinks. Since I shall not be purchasing more, my interest has long been via Internet. E-bay is a site I've long browsed for them, and while its selection has markedly gone down hill since I first looked many years ago, many items are described as gold-filled. My skepticism regarding the accuracy of such descriptions echoes yours, not least because of general problems with the validity of E-bay's descriptions.

Quick recourse to the unimpeachable source, Wikipedia, (;)) yielded the following succinct, useful and potentially accurate description -

"Gold-filled jewelry is jewelry composed of a solid layer of gold (typically constituting at least 5% of the item's total weight) mechanically bonded to a base of either sterling silver or some base metal."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold-filled_jewelry

Last edited:

Sonero

Practically Family
Sorry to be of no assistance, but your question prompted me to revisit the question of exactly what constitutes an item being gold filled. An interest of mine, and something in the past that I would occasionally add are antique/estate/vintage cufflinks. Since I shall not be purchasing more, my interest has long been via Internet. E-bay is a site I've long browsed for them, and while its selection has markedly gone down hill since I first looked many years ago, many items are described as gold-filled. My skepticism regarding the accuracy of such descriptions echoes yours, not least because of general problems with the validity of E-bay's descriptions.

Quick recourse to the unimpeachable source, Wikipedia, (;)) yielded the following succinct, useful and potentially accurate description -

"Gold-filled jewelry is jewelry composed of a solid layer of gold (typically constituting at least 5% of the item's total weight) mechanically bonded to a base of either sterling silver or some base metal."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold-filled_jewelry

True gold filled should be stamped as 14K GF 1/20. The 1/20 constitutes the 5% of true gold BONDED to the base metal. Plated only has a coating measured in Microns and will rub off quickly. Gold Vermelli is 925 Silver base layer but still micron levels of gold plating.
You either buy true gold filled or gold or nothing IMO.

sardaham

New in Town
If I were in your place, I wouldn't trust Etsy because most of the sellers there claim to have authentic products, but in fact, they are just plated. However, if you inform yourself right and read reviews of actual customers, you may get to trustworthy brands. If you want my personal opinion and suggestion, try https://mommenti.com. I have ordered numerous pieces of jewelry from there and I didn’t regret it at all. The people working there are the best and their products are even better! I’m giving you my word, it’s worth a try!

Last edited:

ZioroInc

New in Town
Zioro has a large selection of gold jewelry for sale, like intricately crafted 14K gold herringbone bracelets, rose gold rings, and white gold cross pendants. Gold hoop earrings and bangle bracelets make great casual wardrobe accents. Coordinate your look with matching jewelry sets. Make your finger, wrist, and neck dazzle in unison with Zioro earring diamonds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk