Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1911 New York

xwray

Familiar Face
This film depicts the streets of 1911 New York. It is one, perhaps the best, films of that era that I have ever seen. Lots of footage of the pedestrians, horse and horseless carriages, street cars, etc all competing for the street space to move around in. I thought it would interest those folks who might appreciate a glimpse of that period.

The film was made by Svenska Biografteatern on a trip to America and is of mint quality. Sounds have been added and the speed adjusted to appear more natural than the usual olde stuff you see such that it is almost as if you were there with the cameraman...

https://www.chonday.com/30266/

Last edited:

CarolynSharp

New in Town
I watched this movie. Indeed, it is good that there are such films and you can see the old town. After watching, I wanted to go and look at the New York of our time. Everything has changed enormously. I looked once on the Internet where to go. I ended up visiting almost everything from this list https://www.westgateresorts.com/blog/10-fun-things-new-york-city/. It is especially interesting to compare Times Square today and a century ago. Also visited a bus tour. I learned a lot of new and interesting things. It was like watching the movie again, but in more detail. An amazing city was, but it has become even better.

Last edited:
That's a really good one - thank you for posting it. It's amazing that it is 110 years later and so much of the city is still recognizable as many of those building are still there. I noticed, at least, ten buildings that I can still walk by today. Also, I've walked over the Brooklyn Bridge many times and the bridge's pedestrian area doesn't look much different today. It funny, but it looks as if the guys crossing in front of the Flatiron building (with about 3 minutes to go in the film) step right into the horse poop and don't seem to care at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk