Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1916 styles

I was looking through an old 1916 catalog and found this ad. I did not know where exactly to post it but they are wearing hats so--here is went.
I am not all that hot on the hats but the suits are really something. Where do I find one in my size? :p

International-Tailor-of-191.jpg

Regards to all,

J

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Wonderful...

I am a huge fan of a belted and yoked suit especially. There is just something about a belted and yoked suit from the 30's that's makes me drool. I am really on the look out for something like that from the 30's, it would make my year, lol. I find myself, lately, becomming more and more interested in late 19th Cen. and early early, lol, 20th Cen. clothing. I like a lot of the styles from the 10's and teen's.

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Bogie1943 said:
I am a huge fan of a belted and yoked suit especially. There is just something about a belted and yoked suit from the 30's that's makes me drool. I am really on the look out for something like that from the 30's, it would make my year, lol. I find myself, lately, becomming more and more interested in late 19th Cen. and early early, lol, 20th Cen. clothing. I like a lot of the styles from the 10's and teen's.

Agreed! But...Where can you wear something like that though and look cool? 40's styles I find translate even today in coolness. But surely that depends on where you are and what company you keep.

G

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Um...

Well, I have learned not to give one-second of my thought to what people think of me. Cause often and 99% of the time their opinions are wrong and or ridiculous. I wear what I want when I want and in good taste. Often I am better dressed than most people I see on the streets. The world has just become lazy as I have said before. There is little discipline left and the loose dress code is a sign of it.

Wild Root

Gone Home
(Original post by gcollins)

Agreed! But...Where can you wear something like that though and look cool? 40's styles I find translate even today in coolness. But surely that depends on where you are and what company you keep.

Worried about looking cool eh? Well to that I would say that a vintage look isn't going to score you any cool points any way you look at it. I wear vintage mainly because I love the period and the styles. I don't care for the styles that are available today. Looking cool is for High School kids, looking classy is what I'm about.

As for the 30's VS the 40's they really didn't change much. The belted, pleated coats of the 30's carried over into the 40's to about 1941 or early 42. The reason they stopped making that style was because the fabric rations that the war department put on the garment industries.

When or where ever I have worn a belted back suit I have gotten complements and people asking where I got such a sweet suit! It’s different and it’s sometimes refreshing to people that are tired of seeing the same old thing.

As for the fashions of 1916, I could see wearing those styles every day being a problem. They are very different VS the suit today as we know it or, even those from the late 30’s or 40’s.

I say if you want to wear a belted back suit or what ever then do it! People will respect that because you are braking out of the mold that society has made.

Highest regards,

Root.

hollywooddrapevi-vi.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I'd obviously wear it to work. In California I am constantly surrounded by a undulating throng of men and women who think themselves rebelious by wearing various colored t-shirts with differing logos. I think the belted norfolk tweed suit would have a better chance of standing out in the crowd.

Joseph C. Brandstetter

Agreed. I would wear the suit with the belt all the way around. That would really be something different. I am sure if you had one of those suits and wore it, people would think it is something by a new avante garde designer and ask where they could get one just like it. ;) I have had people come up and ask where I got a hat, suit or pair of shoes. They are surprise to find out that they no longer are available as such. ;)

Regards to all,

J

P.S. I suppose I should photograph the rest of the pages. There is one with hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112