1920s/early 30s fedoras

Discussion in 'Hats' started by volvomeister13, Jun 7, 2015.

1. volvomeister13

volvomeister13 One of the Regulars

for a classic late 1920s/ early 1930s fedora with a 6" crown what is the better brim size, 2 3/8" or 2 1/2"?

2. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

In my opinion there is no such thing. Also Fedora (term only used in American at that time) hats from this time period had curled brims (similar to a Homburg). They were very popular in the early 1930s and earlier and looked something like this.

[​IMG]

Many people on here considered a tall crown (~ 6 inches open) with shorter brim (~ 2 1/4 inches) to be a classic late 20s early 30s Fedora (actually a Snap Brim hat). For example this 1930s or earlier JHS Velour (6 inch open, 2 1/4 inch snap brim).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most people in this time period wore their hats brim up even if the brim could be snapped.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  3. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Once again, very nice hats.

4. volvomeister13

volvomeister13 One of the Regulars

Thanks. I mean something like this...
    19-vi.jpg

Or this...
    Robert_E_Howard_suit.jpg

Do their brims look like 2 3/8" brims or 2 1/2 to you guys?

5. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

If I had to guess, I'd say the top is 2 1/2.

But you're asking something of a peculiar question. I second Steve's post and would add that in the time of haberdashers, a brim width would have been chosen in deference to face shape and body proportions.

The "better" brim width is whatever looks better on you. I personally wouldn't opt for one over the other on the basis of what might have been more commonplace.

6. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

The second hat is about the same dimension / form as the JHS Velour I posted.

When I look at high end hats from this time period it's more about the super high quality construction, sweatband, liner and felt (finish/ color) and not a specific shape / form.

7. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

In the overall BIG picture...? And is this thread moving around? It started at "ask a question" and is still there...

8. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

This isn't a 30's hat by any means, but it's the type of hat I think of when I think of that era (not saying my judgement is correct, mind you). This is a 2" brim.
    [​IMG]

9. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Its a beauty no matter what decade. And was there like only ONE style of hat worn in that 20 year period...? And did they all have only one predominant brim size. C'mon! We're only talking abt 1/8 of an inch! This to me is so pointless. But fun all the same.

10. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

I was reading Fitzgerald's "This Side of Paradise' and saw something very curious: he mentions that when he first arrived at Princeton in 1915 he checked into his room and then went for a walk wearing his bowler. He got about three blocks when he realized no one was wearing a hat, so he ran back to his place and ditched it. Photos of the time and place attest to his remark. So, was there a time when hats were out, prior to the fedora?

11. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

I would sure like to see more 1930s and older soft and stiff felt hats posted here! I have a couple more on the way.

12. JoeyC

JoeyC One of the Regulars

Jared, that hat is a beauty, looks custom, if so may I ask who made it.

Joe

13. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

There were hat-less movements up to WWII. I can't recall the specifics but someone might chime in. Men's hat wearing peaked around 1900. The Fedora (an American hat term) goes back to the late 1800s and would be considered a Homburg today. Today Fedoras are snap brim hats but not sure when this change occurred (1970s?). There are couple of good threads (started by RLK / Robert) here on the FL that discuss the origin / evolution of the Fedora.

My guess is that soft felt curled brim hats (Homburg, Fedora, ect) were just as popular in the late 20s and early 30s as soft felt Snap Brim hats (commonly worn brim up). This is regarding city dress style soft felts. Also stiff felts were still fairly popular in this time period.

14. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

It's actually a Dobbs Twenty, which appears to date to the late 50s/early 60's

15. Daniele Tanto

Daniele Tanto My Mail is Forwarded Here

A very beautiful hat!

16. kaosharper1

kaosharper1 One Too Many

17. JackieMatra

JackieMatra A-List Customer

Lovely. It's difficult to believe that a hat with those dimensions would be manufactured that late.
    It's pure early 1930s James Cagney (excepting the color). I've heard tell that Cagney personally favored Dobbs hats.

18. tommyK

tommyK One Too Many

The one hat I have from the 20's;
    2014-09-16120205_zps33ee41d0.jpg
    Stetson Excellent Quality
    _DSC1065_zps547a0344.jpg

6 inch open crown, about 5 1/4 as shaped
    2 1/2 inch brim

19. Jared, and Tommy, love both of those hats!

20. tommyK

tommyK One Too Many

Like Jlee, I've got a later hat, 60's I think, Mallory "Classic" that harkens back to as earlier era;

17cea23e-1e54-4844-b705-7bd83ed603f4_zps0uoxn9ni.jpg

5 3/4 inch open crown
    2 1/4 inch brim