Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920's Murder Mystery Party! Help this 50's gal dress 20's!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ladies, it's been awhile but I need some help. I have a murder mystery party that takes place in the 1920's. Just got my role today, and it's TOMORROW. I'm a glamorous siren type (that is my role I mean, haha), and I need help! I have a full length red gown I suppose I'll wear, but for the sake of argument, what would a woman in the 20s wear for FORMAL wear? I have shoulder-length hair and my body type is all wrong (I have a 50's figure). Please help - advice on how to do hair and how to dress and accessorize appreciated. Now, I'm off to browse the 1920's thread.

Louise Anne

Suspended
We often think of the Twenties in terms of the 20's flapper look and as they were the only one who were rebelling against society with "new fashions and shocking behaviour etc.
I thinking in my mine if you going to wear a long dress then you would have to think more along the lines of the arty type of lady, who mixes with actors actresses, painters, writers etc and wears simple designed dresses with loads of ott accessories, long beads, long cigarette holder,
I do not think your hair need be an Eton crop or bob, straight and short, what about a head band from a silk scarf with something like a feather coming out of the side, thus can be curly not with a lot of volume.
Big broaches might work on the dress also. I think with the short time scale you got to think a little eccentric with your dress sense which is very in keeping with the 20's

Last edited:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There is no wrong 20s body type. You just have to wear straighter clothes. Actually a bra that does not perk up the girls might help too. YOu can wear your hair up, with a comb in it, a fringed shawl over a silk dress (floor length) and some kitten heels with a pointy toe.

Aw, wish you had more time, I totally would have dressed you!

LD

Miss_Bella_Hell

Well, let's see. I don't have a floor length silk dress, but I do have a floor length dress (some horrible synthetic), and I do have a fringed shawl, but the dress is red and the shawl is pink. Ha! I will wear my hair up and I am going to try to find something fun to wear in the hair, either a tiara type thing, or a wrap, or I do have a feathered clip that might work well....

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Can you get a cheapo floor length slip? Black? That would work. A cheap slip? What am I thinking!

Feathers would be cool, but might be costumey. Do you have pictures of what you have?

LD

Miss_Bella_Hell

I don't have pics, and I can't even take any because I am not going to be home till tomorrow. I am ok with costume-y, and this isn't a VINTAGE PERSON event, so no one cares, except me. Hehe. I will actually be making a trip to the costume store in Burbank, and probably Playclothes as well. Hm............

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I don't know if you have time, but Olvera Street has some shops with cheap Spanish style combs, fringey shawls and mantillas, and the like :)
Also, Ethos on Santee in the Garment District has beaded purses, cut velvet shawls and wraps, and other pretty things (though some can be pricey, they sure are pretty)

Idledame

Practically Family
Accessory ideas...turban, scarf or headband around head, long necklaces, thin bracelets, boa, t-strap shoe, big flower on shoulder and/or hip. You want a "bosom". A running bra that flattens you out can really make your dress seem more 20's. Modern bras are all wrong for the look.
9483424.jpg

flappers_duo.jpg

the following site has several evening gowns, and shows how the styles looked on paper and on real people
http://www.victoriana.com/1920s/1920sdress.htm

Miss_Bella_Hell

Well, I ended up wearing the full length red dress with the fringed pink shawl. I decided I liked the red and pink together. Had an ostrich feather fan and a gold sequined wristlet purse (my grandmother's from the 20s), low gold heels, and a feather clip in the hair, which I wore up ("when in doubt, go for big hair"). Not particularly authentic but got the job done. Thanks for all your help....I will show pics when I have them, if anyone is interested.

Mojito

One Too Many
Am so sorry I was too late to see and respond to these - you know I love anything 20s related! - but it sounds like you did great. Looking forward to seeing the phtos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko