Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1928 Clothes from "Being There" with Peter Sellers

zeus36

A-List Customer
Just saw the movie again and the noticed the suit Peter Sellers' character wears is supposed to be from 1928 by a tailor in New York. A very unique Sellers movie.

SappySwami

Familiar Face
I love this film. Don't want to give any of the good parts away, but Peter Sellers in Chancy, the...well, slow gardener for a rich old man, who's knowledge of the world comes from television. When the man dies, he has to leave the house, and make it on his own. The first time I saw it was in Sociology class, because there is a lot of commentary in it about the social class structure, as well as televisions affect on our society. The end is ripe for interpretation as well.

gandydancer

Familiar Face
SappySwami said:
...well, slow gardener for a rich old man, who's knowledge of the world comes from television. When the man dies, he has to leave the house, and make it on his own.

I loved that story. I didn't know they made a movie of it. I guess I will have to see if I can find a DVD of it. Peter Sellers must have been perfect in the part.

zeus36

A-List Customer
MY take on the film:

Chance wears the clothes and homborg of the old man (his former employer) and due to his appearance and quietness, he becomes a focal point mirror for everyone else's assumptions and views as he becomes integrated into upper class society through a comedy of errors. This was rated a four-star flick.

A few spoilers below if you're NOT going to see the movie:

From the IMDb:

"A simple-minded gardener named Chance has spent all his life in the Washington D.C. house of an old man. When the man dies, Chance is put out on the street with no knowledge of the world except what he has learned from television. After a run in with a limousine, he ends up a guest of a woman (Eve) and her husband Ben, an influential but sickly businessman. Now called Chauncey Gardner, Chance becomes friend and confidante to Ben, and an unlikely political insider."

Fuente

Familiar Face
Sellers in an interview about the film said that he based alot of Chance's mannerisms on Stan Laurel.

Rich :cool2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko