Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's Aero Slim Halfbelt from Insurrection

HighandDry

A-List Customer
So, I've been thinking of a halfbelt for awhile, but I didn't know if I could do another 8 month wait. Also, I have two Aeros and I was pretty happy with the finished product, but I never really felt that they were quite right. My Cheyenne had to be sent back because it fit like a bag. The final result was pretty good, but the armholes are still funky. However, I just couldn't keep on sending back the product and continuing to eat the shipment cost (and mistaken double duty payments).

I was browsing at a store in Seattle (Insurrection Vintage) and I saw that they had a full selection of Aero halfbelts. How often do you get to try on an Aero before you buy it?

The size I went with was a 38 and I feel that the fit is better than any of my made to order jackets. If I wasn't able to try on the different jackets, I would have ordered a 40 (as recommended by Amanda) and again it would not have fit quite right.

The FQHH halfbelt has nickel hardware and zipper pockets. It also comes with a removable mouton fur coller. I believe that the jacket is 1 inch longer in the sleeves and length. If you don't want the wait for the Aero and this jacket fits your tastes, give Insurrection a call!

aerogrnd.jpg

aerofront.jpg

aeroback.jpg

PS I have not found that the FQHH is that big of a deal to break in. It's stiff in the cold, but actually gets quite soft as it warms up.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Really good fit!

Even in the UK it's not easy to try out Aero jackets before hand... I think a A store (that I know of) in London carry them.

In the past I've asked Amanda to send me a stock jacket to try out the fit. Even Aero don't normally stock many jackets...

Can you tell me the measurements of the jacket (size 38)? I too normally wear size 38 so would be interested to know if with the slim halfbelt I should upsize it or not.

Thanks
B.

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Top fit!!!

Highand dry, congratulation. That is the correct fit for such a jacket.
A 40 would be definitelly too roomy for you, from my point of view. I love trim fitting jackets!

When I ordered my first jacket a AERO their suggestion was a 44, but now, with some expirience, I go for a 42. That should not mean that AERO is not able to choose the right size!!! Everybody has a different wish how a jacket should fit. AND, such a trim fitting jacket is not comfortable in every way. It is a compromise between the look and the comfort, at least in the beginning.

Enjoy your jacket

Olli

JanSolo

Practically Family
Great fit HighandDry, and even greater jacket! You just have to love these Halfbelts and Aero's 30s HB is as good as it gets...especially if the fit is correct. It's always a good thing to see, smell and try an Aero in a shop. I must have had about a dozen Aeros in the past but I'm still totally in awe whenever I get the chance to visit one of the few shops in Germany that stock these jacket (usually I end up buying a pair of expensive boots or japanese dry denim...)
Again, cool jacket, great fit, and excellent choice of leather! Insurrection seems to be a cool place as well!

Please post a picture that shows how the removable collar is attached to the leather collar underneath.

Edward

Bartender
Lovely jacket - actually very close to the spec I want for my next Aero halfbelt (want a black one, already have brown), right down to the red (gaberdine?) lining and removeable collar. Being a lefty, I'm toying with the idea of putting the breast pocket on the other side, but we'll see.

Tito

A-List Customer
Fantastic look on you of this HB 30's HighandDry.
I'm thinking buy a 30's HB in vintage FQHH....Oliver what differences you see between the black heavy FQHH and the black vintage FQHH, bleding,softer?.....etc

Jan, yes the japanese denim is very expensive but is much better than any other,no comparison. In the shot a pair of Warehouse 660 (slim fit), japanese denim.

2h39z4m.jpg

Aether

One of the Regulars
Perfect fit. It's a thoughtfully spec'd jacket for a biker too, with the zip pockets, added length and Fur collar.

blethook

One of the Regulars
No, I meant upsize...Last time I spoke with Amanda she suggested size 40 since the slim halfbelt is supposed to be trimmer than normal.

But 22" chest is plenty for me. I can wear a jacket with 21" across the chest with no problem. Thanks :)

You mean downsize, right? I normally wear a 40.

Pit to pit 22", sleeve 25.5", back length 24"

zaman fu

Familiar Face
Damn, now I'm confused. I have a 30's halfbelt on order directly from Aero. From how Will described the fit and my research on this forum, I always thought that the 30's halfbelt is a slim fitting jacket with no downsizing necessary. People have described it as barely providing enough room for a shirt and a thin sweater (which I would like the option of being able to wear underneath). Now this thread is causing me to question that this is not the case and that I'll be receiving a large ill-fitting jacket. I cannot tell from the above picks how tight High and Dry's jacket is, but I am not looking for a tight fit. I am looking for a fitted but not restrictive fit, similar I guess to how forumer Sierra Chariba's jacket fits.

Should I be concerned that my jacket will be too big?

Thanks.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Great fit HighandDry, and even greater jacket! You just have to love these Halfbelts and Aero's 30s HB is as good as it gets...especially if the fit is correct. It's always a good thing to see, smell and try an Aero in a shop. I must have had about a dozen Aeros in the past but I'm still totally in awe whenever I get the chance to visit one of the few shops in Germany that stock these jacket (usually I end up buying a pair of expensive boots or japanese dry denim...)
Again, cool jacket, great fit, and excellent choice of leather! Insurrection seems to be a cool place as well!

Please post a picture that shows how the removable collar is attached to the leather collar underneath.

Here's a picture of my jacket collar that's on a 1930s Half Belt that I got from Insurrection...clever way to do it! This is the rust fur. H and D got the brown fur collar...

4961877.jpg

Perfect fit. It's a thoughtfully spec'd jacket for a biker too, with the zip pockets, added length and Fur collar.

Since everyone at Insurrection rides (except for Sally, as she's beyond retirement age), all of the Aero jackets that Insurrection holds in stock take rider's concerns into account, which I think is pretty cool! Also, Will at Aero of Scotland wants to have a retail presence (beyond e-Bay) in the US very much, so he and Insurrection are working very, very well together to get some great stuff together!

Damn, now I'm confused. I have a 30's halfbelt on order directly from Aero. From how Will described the fit and my research on this forum, I always thought that the 30's halfbelt is a slim fitting jacket with no downsizing necessary. People have described it as barely providing enough room for a shirt and a thin sweater (which I would like the option of being able to wear underneath). Now this thread is causing me to question that this is not the case and that I'll be receiving a large ill-fitting jacket. I cannot tell from the above picks how tight High and Dry's jacket is, but I am not looking for a tight fit. I am looking for a fitted but not restrictive fit, similar I guess to how forumer Sierra Chariba's jacket fits.

Thanks.

Downsize one size from a Vanson Comet, or take the same size as you wear in a Schott 141 or Vanson "Rocker" style jacket, and then you have the correct size in the 1930s Half Belt Jackets!

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender

Thanks.

I ordered my own size - a 42 - on advice from Amanda. It's noticeably, but not unpleasantly, snugger than the cut of my Bootlegger or Aero A2 when fastened. I don't think I could be at all comfortable or even get it zipped up if I went down to a 40. Snugger than a 42R suit jacket. I doubt you'll havea problem, unless you're especially skinny for your chest measurement.

mrc

Familiar Face
Incredible jacket HighandDry! Perfect fit! Your jacket actually makes me want to add to my purchase of my original 1930s Hercules jacket from the same establishment. The zippers on the hand warmer pockets are great, as now your pockets will never fall out of shape.

Insurrection is such a wonderful place. I called last weekend for some advice on conditioning my vintage jacket and Sally directed me to a cell number in California where Wade was teaching little kids to ride motocross. Wade took the time to help me with finding some good vintage jacket conditioner while giving jumping advice to California youngsters. Wade took a quick second to kick-start a bike for some little rascal and then got right back to me... Now that's some crazy customer service...but that's just part of the reason that I love the shop!

Again, incredible jacket, design, and fit HighandDry!

Last edited:

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
Incredible jacket HighandDry! Perfect fit! Your jacket actually makes me want to add to my purchase of my original 1930s Hercules jacket from the same establishment. The zippers on the hand warmer pockets are great, as now your pockets will never fall out of shape.

Insurrection is such a wonderful place. I called last weekend for some advice on conditioning my vintage jacket and Sally directed me to a cell number in California where Wade was teaching little kids to ride motocross. Wade took the time to help me with finding some good vintage jacket conditioner while giving jumping advice to California youngsters. Wade took a quick second to restart a bike some little rascal and got right back to me... Now that's some crazy customer service...but that's just part of the reason that I love the shop!

Again, incredible jacket, design, and fit HighandDry!

Funny, I bought my Aero Slim Halfbelt from Insurrection last Sunday - I toggled back and forth from Wade (at the meet, evidently a good multi-tasker) to Sally. Wonderful people.

mrc

Familiar Face
Funny, I bought my Aero Slim Halfbelt from Insurrection last Sunday - I toggled back and forth from Wade (at the meet, evidently a good multi-tasker) to Sally. Wonderful people.

Funny coincidence! I can't believe that you got one of these too? Post up pictures!

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I ordered my own size - a 42 - on advice from Amanda. It's noticeably, but not unpleasantly, snugger than the cut of my Bootlegger or Aero A2 when fastened. I don't think I could be at all comfortable or even get it zipped up if I went down to a 40. Snugger than a 42R suit jacket. I doubt you'll havea problem, unless you're especially skinny for your chest measurement.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

I think Edward is right concerning the jacket sizing. It really depends on your body shape on how the halfbelt is going to fit. I'm 5'10", 160 lbs, 40" chest, and 32" waist. If I had 3 more inches in the waist, I probably would have went for the 40, because the side cinches wouldn't have pulled in enough. Regardless, being able to try on the different sizes made all the difference in the world. On my body, the 40 was loose all around. The 38 still allows me to wear a light sweater underneath- not tight at all.

BTW Edward, it's a red drill cotton lining.

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
Funny coincidence! I can't believe that you got one of these too? Post up pictures!

I ordered over the phone and received it yesterday - size 40. The collar was quickly removed (I didn't toss it but I can't see how it adds to the coat at all). My only complaint about the coat is the zippers on the pockets - great for keeping things in your pockets when you're riding but tough on the hands if you want a quick place to warm your hands.

I've got to learn how to post pics but will plan to do it - I can show off my 4 recent Aero purchases (used black Highwayman, cordovan Bootlegger, cordovan Cafe Racer and this one). I think I'm done (for awhile at least)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ