Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s Berlin

tomtom42

New in Town
Great find!

It's really a tragedy what became of it a few years later ...
But to be fair this footage looks IMHO pretty much like the stuff that is done for travel commercials today - I have some doubts about this reflecting the everyday lives of ordinary people.
I really like the music though.

br,
T°M

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Nice visit to a prewar European city. Appears to be a travelogue or short subject made to be shown in theaters. I should think those were ordinary people going about their daily lives, in the business section of the city.

The double decker buses with ads for Persil and Dunlop @ 5:05 looked like London for a minute. And that sausage vendor @ 4:50 must be his own best customer.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Wasn't there a film made in...1927 I think it was...which was basically a tour around all of Berlin?

I think it was mentioned somewhere on this forum about a year ago. But I don't remember the details.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
With certain writers you really get the feel of a place and time. I can think of few writings that have accomplished this so well in terms of Berlin in the "20's as Alfred Doblin's novels, particularly "Berlin Alexanderplatz." The problem for me is to what extent I've been influenced by the Fassbinder film.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Also, many thanks ti V.C. Brunswick for providing us with those wonderful films. I think I've fallen in love with the young girl in "Sunday in Berlin." I feel like Franz Bibberkopf.

Edward

Bartender
Beautiful city. Still is, too, despite all it's been through since 1933.

Former TFL regular that some of you may remember, Rufus (Rufus Dayglo, one of the most significant comic book artists working in the UK today), has just moved to Berlin. (I'm sure he won't mind me mentioning that here, as he's made public posts about it on Facebook). It's a cracking place, perhaps the one city in Europe other than London which I could see myself living in permanently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto