Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's Cream/Off-White Belted Back 3 Pc Suit

slicedbread

A-List Customer
The time for me to move into my dorm and begin college is rapidly approaching. I have less than two weeks! This is by far the rarest and most gorgeous suit I've ever come across.

Off to ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300139051984&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=020

Description taken from seller:
Beautiful 1930's spring/summer white 3 piece suit with beltback jacket.

It's a lightweight wool with small grid pattern.

Jacket is a two button with notched lapel, patch pockets, "Norfolk" back with pleats and a full, silky rayon lining. Vest has six buttons.

Trousers have button fly, double reverse pleats and fob pocket.

I'd guess this suit to be from 1937-39.

Jacket says Size 35 inside pocket.

Holes:

above right knee (biggest hole)

middle of left pant leg, very small

bottom of the back of jacket, small

Flaws:

faint spotting on leg...seems to be easy(very easy) to remove...will not attempt to do so myself.

This suit is small. I'd guess the owner was about 5' 7" and quite thin (which once described me though I'm 5' 6"). What I would do if it were 15 years ago and I was still a size 36 and a 29" waist: Let out all the side seams on jacket, making it a 36. Replace the rayon backing on vest which would eliminate the spotting and make the vest larger. Hem the trousers and jacket sleeves using extra material to have the holes re-woven. What I would do now that I'm a size 38 and if I had room in my closet and more occasion to wear suits: Use this as a pattern/template to have a beatifully styled 1930's suit made. It's a great and hard to find representation of 1930's style.

Measurements:

Jacket -
Chest: 36 Inches
Waist: 33 Inches
Sleeve (from top of shoulder seam to cuff): 24 3/4 Inches
Back length (from top of neck straight down to bottom): is 28 3/4 Inches

Vest:= 34 Inches

Trousers :

OUTSEAM: 40 Inches

Inseam: 27 1/2 Inches
Room to let out, preserving cuff: ~ 1.25 Inches
Room to let out, losing cuff; ~2.75 Inches

Waist: 29 1/2 Inches
Room to let out: ~ 1 1/2 Inches
Circumference of cuff (how wide the leg is at bottom): 19 1/4 Inches

I'll let the pictures do the talking...

DSCF2243.jpg

No pinning whatsoever:
DSCF2242.jpg

DSCF2247.jpg

Nonchalant

One of the Regulars
Holy cow, this is one of the most beautiful 1930s suits I've ever seen. Not my size, so all I can do is just savor the pictures.

For your sake, I hope you will sell it on eBay. You deserve to make the maximum amount that you can for finding such a suit. It's just too extraordinary! :D

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The wool looks like that used in cricketing 'creams' (trousers) traditionally. The grid pattern takes it to another level...:eusa_clap

slicedbread

A-List Customer
It's funny, because the cut of the suit is exactly why I like it so much...

Thanks for all the comments you guys...I'd love for an FLounger to get this suit, but I also need a fair price as I'm a poor student who's about to become a VERY poor college student...

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Mr. Rover said:
That's a beautiful suit- is there any date indication? Those lapels seem very chunky...maybe it's the machine stitch edge.

Maybe the label will help... Also, I recall someone stating that a suit cut very similar to this one was in the original king kong....

DSCF2282.jpg

Rooster

Practically Family
Also, I recall someone stating that a suit cut very similar to this one was in the original king kong....
Sure nuff bread man. The expadition leader was wearing a sport jacket cut just like that in the '32 version of KK. Vented in the back just like yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner