Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s Double-Breasted Suit, GOODBYE!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

September is here ... which means it's time for me to continue weeding out my collection of vintage suits and shoes. As always, I will pay tribute to them here on the Lounge, before they go out on eBay next week.

Here is a late 1930s double-breasted suit made of an extraordinary wool heather hopsack fabric, with a muted houndstooth pattern. Its colors (see close-up photo) are autumn personified, and make this suit match with just about any shirt and tie color. The suit is a size 38-39 R.

HeatherDBSuitFront018.jpg
HeatherDBSuitBack022.jpg

HeatherDBSuitSide020.jpg
HeatherDBSuitSide019.jpg

HeatherDBSuitFabric021.jpg

HeatherDBTrousersSide025.jpg
HeatherDBTrousersFront026.jpg

HeatherDBSuitLabel023.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I look at it this way: if that suit had gone for an astronomical price, it could have intimidated folks from bidding on my future auctions. The only time that a vintage suit should go for more than $400 is when it is absolutely unique and in pristine condition, or is a very rare (large) size.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i'd say that IS a unique suit, but as long as you're happy.

i was bidding on a pair of 30s trousers which should have gone for about $65. i stopped bidding at $120 because someone must have put in a huge bid that i couldn't top. [huh] you never can tell.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
By unique, I mean a suit like the one that someone sold on eBay a few months back: It was 1930s grey double-breasted gabardine, with scalloped pockets, pleated shoulders, fabric-covered buttons, extremely nipped in waist (with multiple rows of darts), and trousers with crossed beltloops. Remember that one? About a size 36? It ended up going for more than $400. Frankly, I think it deserved a lot more money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred