Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's Ladies Sportswear

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Sports wear

That's a great over view. I am always surprised that there are flashes of decades to come along the line all throughout fashion history. The 1932 tennis suit has a similar profile to the jumpsuits of the 70's.
I suppose I tend to generalise in my head the style of each era but all along the line there are echoes of the past and lightening bolts of things that will emerge many years later.
The monogramming is interesting too, as I just read a small article in a copy of Woman's Weekly 1939 July 15th stating that the newest fashion is to write your name on the pocket of your jumper or day dresses. (Couched cord).
Please keep us posted with your latest research you obviously have a vast wealth of knowledge and it's great to learn new things!
Thanks for sharing it with us!:)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
This is pretty and cool

sport09.jpg

colleency

One of the Regulars
Great site! Thanks for sharing your hard work with us.

This tennis dress from the V&A (1926) looks a lot like some from your magazines.

0711-007.jpg

maisie

Practically Family
I love vintage sportswear, it is very femine and has some lovely details, just like that 20's dress!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I knew I remembered this thread! I have a really nice white straw fedora that I would love to pair with a white 40's looking (linen?) suit. Any more pictures of 30's or 40's women's sportswear out there?

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
I love how all the drawn models have legs that are roughly 10 feet long! I have always wondered how rounder ladies of the time, like myself, pulled off that long and lean silhouette. I love that look but I just can't do it! Bias cut anything does not flatter me at ALL. But anyway, some of those patterns are simply fabulous...it was great to see them! What a wonderful site!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I love 30s sportswear!

Just a quick pic of me playing badminton at our display at Osterley Park at the beginning of May, where we were doing 1935 - The King and Queen's Silver Jubilee. Strictly it isn't a sports dress, just a light coloured one but very pretty with violets embroidered on the yoke.

The badminton was a great hit!

osterleybadminton.jpg

drkfrau

New in Town
Culottes

Thank you, Lauren for posting your site on sportswear. Good work! :) I saw the pattern package photo for culottes. It answered my question about them!

Michele

Mary

Practically Family
I just bought this on sale cause I thought it looked a bit 30's with the shawlcollar.
2009_0227mistercollins0015.jpg

But when I compare it with "everday fashions.." it doesn't have enough buttons. Noting to do about that. But I'm thinking that maybe I could purchase a buckle and shorten the belt to make it look less modern. What do you think?

Was leather buttons and buckles common or what should they look like?

I'd love to see Laurens homepage. Why can't I see it? Are there more homepages that you'd recommend?

Sunny

One Too Many
I think getting a buckle and shortening the belt is a great idea! I don't know if it's a hard-and-fast rule, but tie belts are definitely the minority in the 1930s and later. Matter of fact, when I see a dress on ebay with a tie belt I'm almost certain it's 1970s or later. So a buckle is a great idea. I think leather buttons are perfectly fine, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21