Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s ski and winter wear: images

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
From Apparel Arts, 1932:

newestmisc042.jpg

newestmisc043.jpg

newestmisc062.jpg

newestmisc061.jpg

newestmisc060.jpg

On the right, a surprisingly '60s-'70s looking tweed hat. From 1932!

newestmisc063.jpg

Flitcraft

One Too Many
I really like the 9th picture down- the gentleman in the grey flannell dbl breasted ski suit- thats panache!:cool2:

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Flitcraft said:
I really like the 9th picture down- the gentleman in the grey flannell dbl breasted ski suit- thats panache!:cool2:

And I like his brand-new Ford station wagon! This post reminds me of when I first started downhill skiing (one of my favorite hobbies) in high school. I wanted to get wool breeches and a wool coat. My parents insisted that I get stuff with a nylon shell. That was probably wise, because I'd have weighed ten tons when I got done falling. But now that I'm able to stay up with good confidence, I may look into re-equipping.

-Dave

P.S. Here's my grandmother ice skating at Nagano, Japan in 1957:

Family_Album012.jpg

just_me

Practically Family
My uncle lived in Brooklyn in the 30s and worked in the city at Macy's. He carried his wooden skis to work on the subway so that he could catch the ski train to Lake Placid after work. I wish I had pictures.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
just_me said:
He carried his wooden skis to work on the subway so that he could catch the ski train to Lake Placid after work.
Only in New York. :p

BTW, JM, is that a Makins that you're wearing in your avatar?

just_me

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Only in New York. :p

BTW, JM, is that a Makins that you're wearing in your avatar?
The name inside the hat states Cellini Italia. I've had it at least 25 years.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Bump.

Since it was mentioned elsewhere. The cold weather for Fall 2009 is coming upon us.
Anyone got vintage cold weather clothes??

We found some a few pieces from our family's fave vintage dealers when we went to Yosemite for an Art Deco weekend in the beginning of March'09. I don't have too much for photos, but can probably work something out to show them.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Now that you mention it, I picked up a pair of nice heavy corduroy cross country ski knickers, NOS from Woolrich, on Ebay a few months ago. Still had the tags. Don't know when they were made, but I believe they've been discontinued for some time now. I also got a pair of very heavy wool knee socks from a company in England, but I forget the name.
My cross country skis are from the 70's and I was mildly surprised to find out that the bindings are now totally out of date. But they do have a Teflon bottom surface. No waxing, thanks.
Interesting to see the driving cap with earflaps. I have a superwarm hat like that, from England of course, made from sheepskin. It's been my cold weather hat for several years now. VERY warm.
If we get enough snow here in New York, you may just see me skiing in Bronx Park this January. Think snow!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
True.

The main difference is that the British derivative* has canvas straps and brass end-tabs (like 1937 Pattern webbing) and the original Bergen has gorgeous leather straps - oh, and, on the yoke, a cartoon of two skiers discussing the merits of the pack!

My father's most proud hillwalking possession was a 1930s Bergen, which I still use regularly.

* Not to be confused with the 1944 pattern rucksack, which is similar and sometimes called bergen, showing how long it was in use, perhaps.

BellyTank said:
The British Commando 'Bergen' rucksack is styled after that classic Norwegian model- hence the name 'Bergen', which is still used today by the British Army.

Thank you.

B
T

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Some of those images are rediculously utopian in nature. Skiing in a double breasted suit (must be on his way to the office). I love it. lol

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
Gotta get my hands on some stuff like this for this season. I figure any reasonably heavy jacket and pants ought to do, though high-gorge double-breasted would be warmer. I'd be wary of wearing a cotton shirt, though; much better to wear wool or silk. Probably silk long-johns, too.

I'm not so sure about a tie. I'd much rather go with a nice scarf.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I must get my stuff together!!! Especially since last week we had a foot of snow here and the slopes are open! I feel a vintage ski day coming on.

Geesie

Practically Family
repeatclicks said:
Some of those images are rediculously utopian in nature. Skiing in a double breasted suit (must be on his way to the office). I love it. lol

Notice that it isn't terribly popular in the photographs, though!

benstephens

Practically Family
I will post some scans soon of some of the catologues I have. However, here is quite a rare suit. It is 1930s BRITISH and made by LillyWhites. It is an interesting construction, fully lined both jacket and trousers. The belt is external at the back and internal at the front, with a row of butons inside, and then a row on the outside.

It came with a group of tickets from a 1930s Ski resort in Germany, I would imagine the last time the person who owned it wore it on Holiday.

The poles came with the suit as well. Just on the look out for a hat!

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

Kindest Regards

Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member