Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's US Army Uniform with belted-back?

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
EDIT: looks like the belted-back feature carried into WWII. Didn't see a tag but will check closer next time. Thanks!

Hey guys,

I stopped by a friends house today and we got to talking. The topic of vintage clothing came up and his dad pulled out an old uniform jacket that he didn't know a lot about.

From my initial inspection, it looked like a US Army military uniform jacket. What made it really cool was the fact that it had a sewn-in belt in the back (not the kind that wraps around the front) and an action back. It looked very 1930s from everything I know.

It basically looks just like this coat:

SC_inside.jpg

...except that it has the belted back and the action back.

Is there anyone that specializes in the history of vintage military uniforms that might be able to help with dating or more information about the jacket or its rarity? Next time I am there I will bring a camera and snap a picture. It was pretty cool.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
M1937 jacket, fairly common. Later versions did away with the bi-swing back but kept the half belt. Originally meant to be worn as both a dress uniform and in combat but was relegated to just a dress uniform. Every enlisted man from per-war through to roughly mid- to late war received one until it started being superceded by the "Ike" jacket.

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
Thanks Thunder.

As I started digging I started learning more about it. The details on the jacket were quite extraordinary. Thanks again for the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred