Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1935 Holy Grail Suit

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Smashing... the world needs more belt backs!

We are right now trending toward the slimmer Bond aesthetic from the 1960s... but I see tailoring details like patch pockets and cinch waists popping up as well. We are living in much better times when it comes to tailoring than we were in 10 years ago.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
So I finally got around to snapping some pics of this suit. About a year ago I got an email from a friend letting me know he found a pristine suit at a local thrift store, but the only drawback was that it was 'tiny.' Fast forward a few months to when I was actually able to see the suit and try it on. Lo and behold, I found that it would fit with some waist alterations.

I have a handful of belted back jackets, but until recently, I had never found a full suit that either fit me, or that I could afford. Had his suit come with a vest, it would be my holy grail!
DSC_2289.jpg
DSC_2290.jpg
DSC_2290.jpg
DSC_2292.jpg
DSC_2293.jpg
DSC_2294.jpg
DSC_2299.jpg
DSC_2302.jpg

DamianM

Vendor
So I finally got around to snapping some pics of this suit. About a year ago I got an email from a friend letting me know he found a pristine suit at a local thrift store, but the only drawback was that it was 'tiny.' Fast forward a few months to when I was actually able to see the suit and try it on. Lo and behold, I found that it would fit with some waist alterations.

I have a handful of belted back jackets, but until recently, I had never found a full suit that either fit me, or that I could afford. Had his suit come with a vest, it would be my holy grail!
DSC_2289.jpg
DSC_2290.jpg
DSC_2290.jpg
DSC_2292.jpg
DSC_2293.jpg
DSC_2294.jpg
DSC_2299.jpg
DSC_2302.jpg

This is the Mr. Luna suit isn't it.

I was amazed that he found this.

I was able to try on the jacket and it just fit, but my fat a$$ couldn't close it. Ha

Only if it had a vest. if only....

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That's one of the nicest suits I seen on this site for some time. I think it's the formality of the look that appeals to me.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Lovely suit. Clean well proportioned lines and subtle pattern on the fabric. From the distance it appears solid blue, but the closer you get the little plaids and flecks appear.

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Smashing... the world needs more belt backs!

We are right now trending toward the slimmer Bond aesthetic from the 1960s... but I see tailoring details like patch pockets and cinch waists popping up as well. We are living in much better times when it comes to tailoring than we were in 10 years ago.
As someone "built when meat was cheap," I wonder if the suppressed, highly constructed look of the beltback era wouldn't just be a leap into the fire for my body type, out of the frying pan of the slim-cut-but-simply-tailored '60s silhouette.

DamianM

Vendor
It helped keep the price down. I've got a Silvertone brand suit from the late 30s that's a really nice, muted blue with poly stripes, but the wool is short-twist and really scratchy. If I ever wear it, I'll have to line the trousers, maybe all the way down.

Other then than the fabric
it is a great suit and envy my friend for finding it

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
If I ever wear it, I'll have to line the trousers, maybe all the way down.

Depending on the temperatures, long cotton underwear is the answer. :) Much more comfortable feeling and "slide" of the pants too. Will also prevent sweat from affecting the fabric.
In Germany I wear them except for summer (but there are also thin ones). Without them I couldn't wear half of my trousers.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy