Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1939 Book of photos of Japanese Ladies

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
A few days ago I was fortunate to find this book-it was left on a bench and remained unclaimed. It seems to be some sort of social registry of young Japanese ladies. Over 1000 photos with the names,place of birth and age,etc. captioned below. The begining of the book features members of the Japanese royal family and other members of the aristocracy although many of the women are likely of more humble origins (this information courtesy of my wife who is Japanese). The printing date is 1939. Many of the ladies wear traditional kimono-quite beautiful ones-and others are in western style of dress. I hope that you enjoy these as much as I do and please excuse my poor copying of the originals which are much clearer.
pict0732bz4.jpg

pict0707co7.jpg

pict0708st6.jpg

pict0710le2.jpg

pict0711jq6.jpg

pict0712wa0.jpg

pict0713cf3.jpg

pict0714qs0.jpg

pict0718vx5.jpg

pict0720tb9.jpg

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sefton-

Thank you for posting these photos and keeping them up all this time. The transformation from traditional Japanese girl/woman to a modern woman in haircut and clothing is quite remarkable.

And I've got to say, this coat:

pict0735ps5.jpg

and these photos:

pict0734wu4.jpg
pict0738dv2.jpg

are quite beautiful.

What did your wife think of the book?

Vintage Betty

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I think the book is wonderful. The pictures-many more than I posted here-are terrific.

I do still feel a bit guilty about having it though. I hope it was merely something left by another collector of old books and not a memento of someone's youth or of their grandmother!

Vintage Betty

Sefton said:
I think the book is wonderful. The pictures-many more than I posted here-are terrific.

I do still feel a bit guilty about having it though. I hope it was merely something left by another collector of old books and not a memento of someone's youth or of their grandmother!

I wish someone felt that way about the gold bracelet I lost. :eusa_doh:

Have you tried placing a lost/found ad on Craigslist or the newspaper? It will at least alleviate your conscience that you tried to find the owner. That kind of stuff haunts me too...

Vintage Betty

DOUGLAS

Great photos Sefton. My wife also got a kick out of them,she is Japonese as well. Those Kimonos are exceptional and can cost fortune. Thanks for sharing.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Would this book possibly have been used for choosing brides? In place of singles ads, or dating websites, they had services that did the same thing in those days. I believe this was somewhat more common in Asia than in the west. Also, these are the kind of pix that American GI's would find on the bodies of dead Japanese soldiers, reminding the GI's, to their utter amazed incredulity, that their enemies were human, too, and had sweet girls back home, just like them.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Unrequested update to ancient (by Internet standards) thread: book now partially eaten by my 17 month old German Shepard Conan. Lessons learned: 1) keep valuables away from dog (too late for the 1930s sofa) , 2) Always have plenty of bones/rawhide & toys on hand (Vintage '30s suits still safe!), & 3) Dogs and children teach you not to be too attached to material possessions. And you don't have to shave your head like a Buddhist monk eitherーalthough I do ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto