1939 Book of photos of Japanese Ladies

Discussion in 'The Reading Room' started by Sefton, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Sefton

Sefton Call Me a Cab

A few days ago I was fortunate to find this book-it was left on a bench and remained unclaimed. It seems to be some sort of social registry of young Japanese ladies. Over 1000 photos with the names,place of birth and age,etc. captioned below. The begining of the book features members of the Japanese royal family and other members of the aristocracy although many of the women are likely of more humble origins (this information courtesy of my wife who is Japanese). The printing date is 1939. Many of the ladies wear traditional kimono-quite beautiful ones-and others are in western style of dress. I hope that you enjoy these as much as I do and please excuse my poor copying of the originals which are much clearer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sefton

Sefton Call Me a Cab

A few more:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is one of my favorites. She looks great!:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Sefton

Sefton Call Me a Cab

...and yet more:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The writing reads:"Most Sincerely,Emi"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And last but not least is this one which I just love:
    [​IMG]

4. Cousin Hepcat

Cousin Hepcat Practically Family

5. Maj.Nick Danger

Maj.Nick Danger I'll Lock Up

Omoshiroi

Domo arigato gozaimasu. Tanoshikatta.

6. Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty My Mail is Forwarded Here

Sefton-

Thank you for posting these photos and keeping them up all this time. The transformation from traditional Japanese girl/woman to a modern woman in haircut and clothing is quite remarkable.

And I've got to say, this coat:

[​IMG]

and these photos:

[​IMG][​IMG]

are quite beautiful.

What did your wife think of the book?

Vintage Betty

7. Sefton

Sefton Call Me a Cab

I think the book is wonderful. The pictures-many more than I posted here-are terrific.

I do still feel a bit guilty about having it though. I hope it was merely something left by another collector of old books and not a memento of someone's youth or of their grandmother!

8. Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty My Mail is Forwarded Here

I wish someone felt that way about the gold bracelet I lost. :eusa_doh:

Have you tried placing a lost/found ad on Craigslist or the newspaper? It will at least alleviate your conscience that you tried to find the owner. That kind of stuff haunts me too...

Vintage Betty

9. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Cool pics. I think the book is in good hands now.

10. DOUGLAS

DOUGLAS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Great photos Sefton. My wife also got a kick out of them,she is Japonese as well. Those Kimonos are exceptional and can cost fortune. Thanks for sharing.

11. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

Would this book possibly have been used for choosing brides? In place of singles ads, or dating websites, they had services that did the same thing in those days. I believe this was somewhat more common in Asia than in the west. Also, these are the kind of pix that American GI's would find on the bodies of dead Japanese soldiers, reminding the GI's, to their utter amazed incredulity, that their enemies were human, too, and had sweet girls back home, just like them.

12. Sefton

Sefton Call Me a Cab

Unrequested update to ancient (by Internet standards) thread: book now partially eaten by my 17 month old German Shepard Conan. Lessons learned: 1) keep valuables away from dog (too late for the 1930s sofa) , 2) Always have plenty of bones/rawhide & toys on hand (Vintage '30s suits still safe!), & 3) Dogs and children teach you not to be too attached to material possessions. And you don't have to shave your head like a Buddhist monk eitherーalthough I do ;-)