Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940 Spring/Summer Mont. Ward suits

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
reetpleat said:
Depending on how you calculate it, twenty bucks was about like $400 now, which sounds about right, for an off the rack, good quality suit.
QUOTE]

It is hard to calculate what $20 then would be now. When my father came back from WWII, he paid $20 for a DB two-piece suit made of heavy wool from Crawford Clothes in NYC (I now possess it). At that time, my dad was likely making about $30 per week. I also have a similar SB suit from Richmond Brothers, c.late-40s, that has a $44.50 price tag stamped on the inside of the jacket (it may have originally included a vest). At any rate, these were working-class men's suits. Today, depending on where you shop, you can get a quality, off-the-rack suit for about $300.

Tzedekh

New in Town
Widebrim said:
reetpleat said:
Depending on how you calculate it, twenty bucks was about like $400 now, which sounds about right, for an off the rack, good quality suit.
QUOTE]

It is hard to calculate what $20 then would be now. When my father came back from WWII, he paid $20 for a DB two-piece suit made of heavy wool from Crawford Clothes in NYC (I now possess it). At that time, my dad was likely making about $30 per week. I also have a similar SB suit from Richmond Brothers, c.late-40s, that has a $44.50 price tag stamped on the inside of the jacket (it may have originally included a vest). At any rate, these were working-class men's suits. Today, depending on where you shop, you can get a quality, off-the-rack suit for about $300.
If you go by the consumer price index, $1 in 1940 would buy what $15 would buy today, so that $300 suit would have cost about $20 in 1940. Except that a $20 1940 suit would've been much better made, of heavier, better fabric.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
True, you can't say directly. Back then, people paid more for food, but less for housing. Clothes were actually more expensive compared to today, but they were better quality and people expected to pay a bit for it, then keep it long term.

Also, the used market was more of a part of things. I heard a radio drama from the forties in which a guy buys a used overcoat for 5 bucks. That would be like paying maybe 75. These days, you could pay a lot for a new one, but in a thrift store, ten to twenty.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
reetpleat said:
True, you can't say directly. Back then, people paid more for food, but less for housing. Clothes were actually more expensive compared to today, but they were better quality and people expected to pay a bit for it, then keep it long term.

Also, the used market was more of a part of things. I heard a radio drama from the forties in which a guy buys a used overcoat for 5 bucks. That would be like paying maybe 75. These days, you could pay a lot for a new one, but in a thrift store, ten to twenty.

Good points. Used clothing is still rather cheap today, compared to years ago (especially at the Goodwill). Considering how much a buck could buy you in the old days, Richard Diamond was sure asking for a bundle when he charged his clients $100 a day and expenses!lol

Tzedekh

New in Town
reetpleat said:
Depending on ow you calculate it, twenty bucks was about like $400 now, which sounds about right, for an off the rack, good quality suit.
Using the consumer price index, $20 in 1940 would be about $310 today, and that $24 suit with six-button vest and two pairs of pants, about $370. Try getting a suit like that -- probably with 15- to 16-ounce fabric and basted- (not fused-) front jacket -- for anything less than a grand today. Also, good-quality shirts were $1 to $1.75 (about $15.40 to $27 today) and Goodyear-welted shoes were $3 to $4 (about $46 to $62).

Tzedekh said:
Using the consumer price index, $20 in 1940 would be about $310 today, and that $24 suit with six-button vest and two pairs of pants, about $370. Try getting a suit like that -- probably with 15- to 16-ounce fabric and basted- (not fused-) front jacket -- for anything less than a grand today. Also, good-quality shirts were $1 to $1.75 (about $15.40 to $27 today) and Goodyear-welted shoes were $3 to $4 (about $46 to $62).

Exactly the point. Then think about getting a skelton lined jacket with taped seams for that much---or a belted back for that matter. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy