Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940's? Blue Harris Tweed Sportcoat 38R-41R

brendanm720

One of the Regulars
Seller thinks it's a 1960's jacket, but it has a 40's Harris Tweed label and the lapels look more "bold look/wideboy" than 60's/70's to me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221782943485

$_57.JPG

Metatron

One Too Many
I received the jacket today. Very nice cut and fits well in the chest. I rather like the high button stance with the stumpy but wide lapels and strong but not wide shoulders. Something you don't see anymore, and rather unjustly so.

Unfortunately it is rather too knackered to look presentable. Several medium sized holes on the shoulders and collar. I am getting rather fed up of sellers being ambiguous about the damage on vintage jackets. ''There is a rip in the lining'' Really? That's the least of it's worries.

Ultimately, even when it comes to vintage, you get what you pay for. Bargains will always be hit and miss.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
In my opinion the description "showing signs of age" is not appropriate to a jacket with holes in it. The seller should have pointed out the holes. That is a bit naughty.

brendanm720

One of the Regulars
That's disappointing. I agree with TT... not pointing out the holes is not cool.

Are the holes repairable by a professional reweaver or is the jacket destined to become something else?

Metatron

One Too Many
Reweavers charge around £60 per hole, and we are talking about 5+ holes. Being tweed, even stitching over a hole wouldn't be too visible, but there are just too many.
I sent it back.
By the way it was probably older than mid-1940s as the label did not have the '100% wool' line.

brendanm720

One of the Regulars
Reweavers charge around £60 per hole, and we are talking about 5+ holes. Being tweed, even stitching over a hole wouldn't be too visible, but there are just too many.
I sent it back.

Bummer. 300+ quid is a bit much. You would be well on your way to having one made for you at that price.

By the way it was probably older than mid-1940s as the label did not have the '100% wool' line.
Those lapels were no later than early 40s with that shape IMO.

The label looks like one on the Vintage Fashion Guild's site attributed to a 1940's woman's coat. The Harris Tweed Association went to the black label in 1949 or shortly after (the tags have a 1949 copyright date on them), so I was pretty sure that it wasn't later than that. It could definitely be earlier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ