Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s donegal tweed suit

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Up for sale is a beautiful tan donegal tweed two piece suit. The suit is cut from a heavy but loosely woven tan tweed with multi-colored knops, which both drapes and breathes well. Sufficient ventilation for three season wear. The suit features built up shoulders, nipped waist, a three-roll-two button stance, slash hip pockets and an unvented back. The trousers have a button fly, single button closure, belt loops and brace buttons inside the waistband.

The condition is average. My alterations tailor has repaired all the moth holes I could find, several of which I have photographed, to make it wearable. Because of the speckled nature of the fabric, these repairs are well camouflaged. The biggest issues for the next buyer will be the sorry state of the jacket lining, with two large holes I have photographed, and the soiling to the trouser fronts. The soiling is, likewise, camouflaged by the nature of the fabric, and is concealed when one wears the coat or a tie, but it is visible upon close scrutiny.

I have gotten a lot of wear out of this suit, but I have acquired a three-season donegal I like better, so to the Internet it goes.

Measurements are as follows:

Coat
Shoulder to Shoulder: 18.5 inches
Pit-to-Pit: 19 inches
Waist (at buttoning point): 18 inches
Sleeve length: 25 inches
Coat length: 30 inches

Trousers
Waist: 16 inches, +2 to let
Outseam: 43.5 inches
Inseam: 31.5 + 1.5 cuff and 1 inch to let
Rise: 12 inches