Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940's Homburg - G. Moltene

John Galt

Vendor
Hi there. I saw this beauty in an antique store & promised the owner I'd try to get it some exposure.

It is an italian homburg originally purchased in the early 40's in Chicago, along with a beautiful heavy long wool coat that she also has for sale. The hat appears unreeded, but looks like it was made at the point where reeding was on the horizon - the sweat has a roll of leather inside the crown rather than under the brim, as in a reeded hat. There is no reed as far as I could tell. See the pics.

The felt is pretty nice and the hat is very shapeable. I believe it is actually wool felt because although soft, thin, flexible & shapeable, it's got a slight scratchy feeling. Maybe it is a wool/fur blend. Anyway, it is so well done that it was not a sure thing to me either way without some testing. It reminds me of a 1940's hat I sold Splintercellz (Justin) a while back.

The brim is unbound, and I do not have an exact dimension. Overall, a great 1940's hat. PM if interested, and I'll provide contact info for the seller.

puqavupu.jpg

uba7ady4.jpg

by2avu2e.jpg

ara8egy3.jpg

ma6a7y5u.jpg

mesesa4e.jpg

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Last edited:
That's a fantastic / rare hat! Yes it's wool or a wool - fur blend. Monza was famous for wool hats. I have only seen vintage examples in the great book "Men's Hats Il Cappello Da Uomo". If it was in my size I would definitely buy it.

Last edited:
Reeded construction in a sweatband is not, in itself, a guide to age. I have hats with reeded sweatbands that date to the first decade of the 20th Century.

John Galt

Vendor
She's got it marked at $85 but would probably take less. I've handled the hat and would buy it myself if I had the funds at the moment. Please PM if you want her contact info. It really is a beauty, and you should see the trench coat!!!

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana