1940's overalls

Discussion in 'The Home Front Woman' started by MidnightBlue, Jul 6, 2010.

1. MidnightBlue

MidnightBlue New in Town

Well its nearly birthday time again and I know that question will soon come, but what am I after? Truth be told I'm not sure yet, but its definitely going to be vintage related this year, and one of my thoughts is something I've been after for a while, a cute pair of overalls, 1940's repro or vintage. Main selling point being that they're cute! :)

I know Fleur has a pair by trouble mackenzie (sp?-) which I love, but I'm just wondering where else people would recommend. Obviously the more I can get mr my money, the more I can treat myself to

2. swinggal

swinggal One Too Many

3. Mrs Cleaver

Mrs Cleaver One of the Regulars

4. epr25

epr25 Practically Family

I have always wanted a pair of these. But I am 5'3" and 150lbs. Is anyone out there that is not built perfectly on the shorter side ever tried these? I am thinking they would not be very flattering to my size and shape.

5. MissHannah

MissHannah One Too Many

I actually think they look best on shorter women and they are very flattering if you are curvy - they make your waist look tiny.

6. epr25

epr25 Practically Family

Ok thanks. I was thinking they would make me look 2' tall and huge.

7. MidnightBlue

MidnightBlue New in Town

Ooh those Allure ones are exactly the kind I'd love. How cheeky to be having 2-3 months wait time just when I want something!

Also very tempting to get Freddie's when they're half price, I mean I could get two! But the allure style is more what I'm after. The Freddie's ones don't look like they'd be as flattering

8. swinggal

swinggal One Too Many

She is on holiday. She made my dress in a week turn-around! I was amazed!

9. Kiri

Kiri One of the Regulars

Hmm, how much would those jeans be in Canadian dollars? I'm not sure what size I am either. [huh]

10. palespider

palespider One of the Regulars

pull out a tape measure and find out, though i found that the inches posted are how large the garments are, not your own. i usually get a 38 waist but these where very tight on me, just now droping some weight to get it zipped up.

11. Mrs Cleaver

For currency conversion go to xe.com:)

12. Kiri

Kiri One of the Regulars

So does it go by waist size? I guess they don't have my size right now then, I'm 26".

And thank you, I'll have to look up the currency thing. :)

13. Mrs Cleaver

14. Kiri

Kiri One of the Regulars

Oh, thank you!

15. deco_darling

deco_darling One of the Regulars

I'd recommend nudeedudee on Etsy. She has many tempting vintage fabrics and buttons to choose from along with great patterns to fit your style. She sells on Etsy and has a flickr account with all her designs.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/nudeedudee

16. Mrs Cleaver

Vivien of holloway will be stocking their overalls again soon.They don't have the sweet heart neckline but they do fasten up the side with buttons,really cute:)
    Fluer de Guere has some pics on her blog of her wearing a green pair(you will have to search through the posts) if you want to see what they look like.

17. December

December One of the Regulars

For currency, I just google usd to gbp... So, if something is $40, I type 40usd to gbp in the Google box and Google calculator answers for you. It comes up before any search results with the answer in bold.

I don't know what the Canadian, Australian etc equivalents are (cad, aud?) but give it a go.

18. MidnightBlue

MidnightBlue New in Town

I've messaged VoH to see when overalls will be coming back in stock as everything is obviously very summer focused at the moment. I loved the pair on Fleur's blog, the fact she found them long in the body (a problem I also have) and being able to go try them on would be fab

19. exquisitebones

exquisitebones A-List Customer

When we were at expo this weekend, I seriously scored some original 1940s overalls, with the heart shaped bodice. OMG, they are amazing. and have a few little paint stains on them, but they are wonderful! I cant wait to take them in a hair so I can wear them

I have never seen real 40s overalls, only repros! it was an exciting find!

20. Mrs Cleaver

Wow what an incredibly lucky find,would love to see pics when you have the time.:)