Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1943 Swedish Army boot

Flieger

Practically Family
Hope this is the right place for this post? Othervise, feel free to remove/move it to the correct location. :)

I bought these boots a couple of years ago but I have never used them because they have heel-irons and leather soles. The heel-iron makes a lot of noice and is very slippery when I walk on hard surfaces. The leather sole is likevise slippery in a country that has six months of snow and ice. :p

SweAr_boot_01.jpg

SweAr_boot_02.jpg

Moving along to my query: Does any one here know if it's possible to remove the heel-irons and attach some kind of rubber sole for traction? Would that ruin the boot?

I think they look cool so I'd like to start wearing them.

Flieger

Mike K.

One Too Many
You could have the boots re-soled if you really wanted. Personally, I'd keep the heel irons and even attach some hobnails. We've had some good discussion recently over in the adventurers gear thread about vintage mountaineering boots. Where did you purchase your Swedish army boots? They look great!

Flieger

Practically Family
Mike K. said:
You could have the boots re-soled if you really wanted. Personally, I'd keep the heel irons and even attach some hobnails. We've had some good discussion recently over in the adventurers gear thread about vintage mountaineering boots. Where did you purchase your Swedish army boots? They look great!

Mike K: I bought them here, they still have them in sizes 42, 43 and 44. Never been used.

Adding hobnails... Hmm, I'd better go and read that adventurers gear thread.

Cheers

Flieger

Flieger

Practically Family
Orgetorix said:
Any cobbler or shoe repair shop should be able to install a rubber oversole (often called a Topy) for $20 or less. He may be able to do rubber toplifts on the heels, as well.

Thanks Orgetorix,

I'm franticly looking trough my dictionary but it refuses to give me the translation to "oversole", "Topy" and "toplift"... Could you please explain a bit further?

Cheers

F

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Flieger said:
Thanks Orgetorix,

I'm franticly looking trough my dictionary but it refuses to give me the translation to "oversole", "Topy" and "toplift"... Could you please explain a bit further?

Cheers

F

Try 'stick-on soles'. Any shoe repairer can do this.

Alan

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Flieger said:
Thanks Orgetorix,

Cheers

F

Sorry, Flieger. As Alan said, a Topy or oversole is a layer of textured rubber that is glued to the bottom of the leather sole. A toplift is sort of the same thing on the heel.

produit_1.jpg

Flieger

Practically Family
Thank you Orgetorix!

Now I have a visual image of what I need to ask the cobbler for. :)

Well, boots are packed and it's time to head out on my mission. Fingers crossed.

Flieger

Flieger

Practically Family
Alan Eardley said:
And satisfied, we hope.

Alan

Ask me again in a couple of days. They where swamped right now. [huh]

Living in the age of the digital camera, I'll post photos as soon as I get them back. :)

Thinking about it, I'm sure I could have glued the soles on myself and saved me both time and money... oh, well. :eek:

Flieger

Flieger

Practically Family
Rubber Soul

Just a quick follow-up:

I got the boots back today with the rubber soles fitted. Man, they did a great job! :)

Rubbersoul01.jpg

Rubbersoul02.jpg

Very comfortable boots. Reccomended.

F

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21