Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950s British Jacket

Edward

Bartender
Did they ever wear a second pair of socks underneath them?

I had always presumed that it was as much as anything about keeping the socks up, knowing how easily socks will tend to ride down in a boot that isn't form fitting...

Creeping Past

One Too Many
My dad was an engineering foreman for a while and I used to visit sites with him when I was little. I was impressed that all the labourers wore thick white socks turned over the tops of their wellies, and got my mum to get me some long white socks so I could do the same.

Anyway, returning from memory lane, whether we're talking about labourers or motorcyclists, I think it's is about creating an extra layer for warmth (you'd wear another thinner pair of socks underneath) and, as Edward says, for comfort, because socks will ride down.

carlstadt

New in Town
Picture106.jpg

Picture108.jpg

These are the boots I'm using for my bsa b31 (made in 1955).

Edward

Bartender
Nice stuff - very period. I like those boots a lot. Any further information on the jacket? Is it vintage (looks to be to me), or repro?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
That's period-perfect, too. Neither the boots or the jacket are 'out of character' for a Beezer with a plunger frame. They are not 'boy racer' or 'old man' - sort of 'middle of the road'.

I'm not familiar with the lining, and I can't guess the maker. Can you read the label?

carlstadt said:
Picture031.jpg

and this is the jacket.

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
Creeping Past said:
My dad was an engineering foreman for a while and I used to visit sites with him when I was little. I was impressed that all the labourers wore thick white socks turned over the tops of their wellies, and got my mum to get me some long white socks so I could do the same.

Anyway, returning from memory lane, whether we're talking about labourers or motorcyclists, I think it's is about creating an extra layer for warmth (you'd wear another thinner pair of socks underneath) and, as Edward says, for comfort, because socks will ride down.
On building sites a lot of labourers did not wear socks because their feet were always getting wet they just wrapped their feet in rag so at the end of the day they just threw them away,remember men would have lived on site and drying socks would have been difficult.This is were the derogatory term toe rag came from to call someone a toe rag ie dirty worthless.

Edward

Bartender
Highwayman?

HJ: Aha! I'd never have realised that's what that was on the sole of the boot (just assumed it to be a reinforcement of some sort). Interesting... I suppose this is something that you don't see with modern boots (as opposed to it being internalised) due to the development of electronic starters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff