Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1962 Ford Falcon - $8000 obo

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
CAR IS SOLD -- THANKS FOR LOOKING!

02.jpg

This is the ultimate daily driver Falcon. We purchased it as a basket case (see last photo) and had it put back together with modifications to retain its character as a Ford Falcon but dramatically improve its suitability for modern roads.

01.jpg

Engine: The original 101-hp, 170-cu.in. six-cylinder was missing. In its place is a 250-cu.in. six-cylinder from a 1975 Granada, rebuilt like a 1969 Mustang engine (155 hp) but with substantial improvements, including a Comp 260H camshaft and a Classic Inlines alloy cylinder head. The CI head (now marketed by Vintage Inlines--see: https://www.vintageinlines.com/product-page/deposit-only-aluminum-head-package), is based on the Australian 250-2V head (170 hp) and features bigger valves, smoother ports, and a detachable intake manifold with an Autolite 2100 carburetor with annular discharge for easy starting and better economy. This pulls like a V-8, and sounds like it too--especially burbling through the dual turbo mufflers and tailpipes!

05.jpg

Transmission: This car had the air-cooled, two-speed Fordomatic originally but now has three more gears plus a clutch pedal. The trans is an untouched Borg-Warner T-5 five-speed taken from a low-mileage 1984 Mustang GT. It was specially selected for its gear ratios and is perfectly matched with the engine and rear axle. Plenty of off-the-line guts, plus low RPM for highway cruising thanks to the fifth-gear overdrive.

06.jpg

Rear Axle: No weak 7.25-inch rear axle with a one-legged differential here. The new rear axle is an 8-inch housing from a 1970 Maverick filled with 3.80:1 gears and a Detroit Locker. The limited-slip makes the car very sure footed in all conditions and between the torque-monster engine and the gearing, you can easily lay a couple of nice strips of rubber if you're so inclined.

04.jpg

Brakes: Instead of the dinky nine-inch drums and sketchy single-jar master cylinder Ford put on these, we selected a Scarebird conversion to retain the original bolt pattern and obtain disc brakes. Not only do these stop great with no fading or grabbing, you can walk into any parts store and request rotors for a 1989 Nissan Stanza or calipers for a 1989 Chevrolet Cavalier and walk out with the service parts you need. Likewise, the dual-circuit master cylinder is an easily obtained F-100 part.

Body: There is zero rust in this car--it has had patch panels installed throughout, welded solid. The paint is modern basecoat/clearcoat. All original trim was straightened and polished before reinstallation and even the often-missing "washboard" quarter trim is in place. This car is a real sleeper thanks to the all-stock exterior look and the host of modifications listed above. With virtually every other Falcon you either get the quaint original mechanical pieces OR somebody's questionable "hot rod" aesthetics.

Interior: The original interior was reinstalled along with replacement carpeting, a brand-new headliner (very tricky to change the headliner in a Falcon, as it is held in with the windshield and rear window), new period-style seatbelts for six passengers, period-style under-dash gauges and a period-style half-sweep tachometer on the steering column. An original radio (with pushbuttons and front/rear fade) was restored and an aux jack added to allow you to plug in an MP3 player. A new speaker under an original-style speaker grille is on the package shelf to supplement the dash speaker. You can get the full-period experience thanks to the warm sound of a tube amplifier PLUS your choice of music.

03.jpg

Wheels and Tires: Ford put 13-inch wheels on six-cylinder Falcons, we put 14's on ours for a few reasons: 1) it just looks better--a stock Falcon on 13-inch wheels looks top heavy; 2) 13-inch tires are getting hard to find in the right sizes, if you mount modern 13-inch radials on a Falcon it looks even MORE top heavy, plus your engine is screaming thanks to the underdrive effect of too-short tires; 3) it clears the disc-brake rotors on the Scarebird conversion mentioned above.

With this car you get TWO sets of 14-inch wheels, all from '70s Mavericks. One set is powdercoated black with narrow-whitewall radials, the other set is painted body color with blackwall radials. The hubcaps are from a full-size 1962 Ford Galaxie and go perfectly with the rest of the car. Only a purist will know they're not off a Falcon. The tires are all the easily available 195/75R14 size--virtually any 1965 or '66 Mustang you see these days is wearing them too.

Other: The battery was relocated to the trunk, where it resides over the right rear tire in a neat, period "Kar-Start" metal battery box. It's an Optima and cranks the car over effortlessly. The filler is also in the trunk, which makes for much easier fueling (original Falcons puke gas all over the rear panel). The filler is protected from anything you might carry in the trunk by a custom-built bulkhead.

Beyond what I've written here, I feel the pictures speak for themselves. Please feel free to call (9eight9-6seven0-4six9three), e-mail (williamd.conwill "at" gmail), or text with questions. If I don't answer (and I often don't, thanks to spoof callers), leave a message and I'll get back to you ASAP. Thanks for looking!

07.jpg

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My very first car was a 1961 Falcon station-wagon, blue and white. Same interior and dash. They can say what they like about that car, but it got my girlfriend and me up to the reservoir in the evenings.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
wow, looks like you got my old yellow '62 Falcon I had in the late 70s - early 80s, for $50. I ran it until the pistons literally wiggled and slopped back and forth in the block!

Great work on an old classic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points