Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1971 Brill Bros 7823 D (WP) G1 - Question

Marv

A-List Customer
I picked up a nice 1971 Brill Bros 7823 D (WP) Black label, dynal collar G1 which has the Conmar/Scovill zipper recently and was wondering what year did the USN switch from goatskin to cowhide.

From what I could find on the internet which was not a great deal, it seems that this contract was on the cusp of end of the D series and beginning of the E series and has a lighter brown hide than other G1's that I have.

I have seen photos both 1971 D and E series Brill Bros G1s which look identical plus a 1973 white label Brill Bros looking very similar but couldn't distinguish whether the hide was goat or cow.

Any information would be greatly appreciated
icon_e_smile.gif

Technonut

Practically Family
According to the info I found here http://moorecustom.com/jackets/Moore_Jackets_navy.htm the 'D' series was the last to use strictly goatskin. From what I understand, the 'E' series allowed the use of cowhide... I would imagine though, if a manufacturer had a large stock of goatskin, it may have been used.

In 1971 or 72 the E series was introduced and persists until today. The spec was opened up to allow the use of cowhide (vs. the goatskin of all of the earlier jackets). As a result, while these make great wearers they are not collectible and I do not have any on this web site.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Yes. The specifications for the E-series G-1 allowed the use of embossed cowhide so manufacturers began using both. All D-series and earlier G-1s...including your Brill...are goatskin. E-series G-1s can be either...seemingly at the manufacturers' whim.

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points