Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1980's classic "Arthur" gets a remake

Mickey Caesar

Familiar Face
The 1980's comedy "Arthur" which starred Dudley Moore had been remade starring Russell Brand. I saw a photo from the new movie and it looks like Tim Burton must have had some kind of creative input. Brand's Arthur character looked like a goth Fred Astaire. Dudley Moore had a lovable charm that made his version work well, but Brand is too bizzare.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I hated the original - I saw it in theaters back when it was new, and haven't ever wanted to revisit it. It rankles me now to see it referred to as a "classic"... I thought it was unending series of lame, cheap jokes (Omigod, Shakespearean actor John Gielgud just said "shit"!), and it disgustingly glorified the lifestyle of a worthless, drunken jerk. Dudley Moore's alleged "lovable charm" completely eluded me...

Frankly, I don't think much of Russell Brand either, so I will not see this one.

Last edited:

brspiritus

One of the Regulars
An Hollywood continues to prove to us that they find it impossible to come up with a new idea for a movie. Having previously remade popular films from the past 30 years into banal, boring, CGI filled containers of refuse we now feel the need to start revising the films that were already banal and boring when first released. A plea to Hollywood, I know you're in California but please stop smoking pot, it kills brain cells.

Feraud

Bartender
I too was never into Arthur. Some friends loved it, I was indifferent.
They filmed parts of the new movie in my neighborhood last year. My son got a kick seeing Brand and the scenes they filmed.

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
I don't get Russell Brand. He isn't funny, he just isn't. He may get a little buzz with this in the US because of Katy Perry, but I bet this is a one weekend film.

And I might add the trailer for it looked aweful.

rue

Well, I guess I'm the odd one... I loved that movie and in fact renamed my horse Arthur because he used to try to drink out of my mom's wine glass at horse shows.
The fact that they have remade this movie disgusts me.

Edited to add that after watching the trailer I'm even more disgusted. Russell Brand is no Dudley Moore:
Old:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ3aRKkJMgU
New:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfnktrAkdzc

Last edited:

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
uugghh cannot stand russell brand, i agree he is not funny in the slightest as far as i'm concerned. what a waste of film.

Feraud

Bartender
I saw Brand's stand up a few years back. He had some good material. Not sure how that translates into him being able to carry the lead in a film but that is the American movie industry for you. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk