Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2008 - Anniversaries for Records

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
( I did not write this - it came from a very cool website call the Crime Lounge, which features music from spy and private eye movies and shows. I thought everyone here would love the site's latest entry.)

This year (2008) marks the 50th anniversary of Stereo and the 60th anniversary of Vinyl Long Playing Microgroove Records

I'm sure that many sites will dedicate much more space, time and knowledge than I can on the subject but I just wanted to mention it for those who weren't aware.

A few milestones:
Many people and countries contributed to the long history and invention of music on disc, for space sake we start our little list at the true birth of "modern" vinyl.

Production of records halted by the advent of World War II and the lack of shellac due to the invasion of South East Asia by the Japanese.The replacement of the base material was discovered from a plastic resin derivative of petroleum called vinyl

The first V-Discs were shipped from the RCA Victor pressing plant in Camden, New Jersey

RCA Victor releases the very first commercial vinylite record

Columbia introduces the first 12-inch 33-1/3 rpm microgroove LP vinylite record with 23-minute play-time per side it also has a special turntable to play them on made by Philco

RCA Victor introduce the 7-inch 45 rpm micro-groove vinyl single and compatible turn table.

The improvements in sound quality of the new vinyl format encourage record companies to embrace the technology, this marks the beginning of the end for the 78rpm shellac disc and RCA Victor issues records on Columbia 12 inch LP format.

First Jukebox able to play 7 inch 45 rpm records

Record companies deliver 7 inch 45 rpm record singles to radio stations instead of 78s

The Recording Industry Association of America chooses the Westrex standard for stereo records. Stereo vinyl is to became the dominant medium of recorded music

RCA introduces its first stereo LPs
This is the birth of the modern stereophonic microgroove long-playing record as we know it today.

The vinyl record has had somewhat of a revival in recent years, thanks in part to dj's it must be said, without whom they would probably have died out long ago (amongst the average user at least) but because of the dj crowd manufactureres have continued to produce turntables and even start to re-release albums on vinyl yet again.

Obviously the dj isn't the only reason for this, many people have re-ignited their passion for vinyl after years of collecting "invisible" music as mp3's, which great as they are, don't actually exist in the true sense of the word. These files are stored as millions of 0's and 1's on our hard drives and could all disappear over night (how reliable is your HDD?).

Another thing to look into is the life-span of the various media, digital music (mp3's etc) are OK as long as you continue to back them up (hopefully not having any data errors!).

CD's are good for decades, so the experts say but having had experience with laser rot on Laserdiscs I'm not so sure. Compact discs are pressed much like vinyl records, then to make them reflective they are coated with an Aluminium layer, this is then covered in plastic to protect it. the trouble is if the Aluminium layer ever gets exposed to the air it oxidies and corrupts the data (I have a couple of early discs which look very brownish and stained).

Then you have the ink used to print on the disc eating into it!

Vinyl records are quite a simple beast and this is the very thing that makes them the most stable and long-life format to collect on.

With vinyl of course, they actually contain the music on the disc (as opposed to a data representation of it) and even the label is melted into the plastic during pressing, so no nasty glues to come unstuck, so they start out ahead in terms of longevity. They are also composed from a single piece/layer of plastic, whereas a CD is multiple layers of different material stuck/bonded together, which is never a great idea to start with.

All things being equal, a vinyl record should last for hundreds (maybe thousands) of years before the natural decomposition occurs. CD's on the other hand, having different material mixed together will start to internally corrupt after so long (how long, know one knows yet!)

As with many things in life we discover that the simple way of doing things really is the best (and most reliable).

Flivver

Practically Family
I really enjoy those early (1958-62) stereo LPs with their exaggerated stereo effect. The Command and London Phase 4 labels were good for this.

On the other hand, the early RCA-Victor "Living Stereo" LPs still are some of the most enjoyable discs (from a sonic perspective) ever pressed.

I remember the first time I heard stereo sound. It was during the summer of '58 when I was 7 years old. My parents and I were riding the escalator in the Jordan Marsh department store in downtown Boston when we heard what sounded like a live orchestra on the floor above. When we reached that floor, we discovered it was just a new RCA console "stereo" playing one of the new "Living Stereo" records. It was mighty impressive!

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
Flivver said:
I really enjoy those early (1958-62) stereo LPs with their exaggerated stereo effect. The Command and London Phase 4 labels were good for this.
I don't own any Command or London Phase 4 albums. But I do have several Capital record albums that date from that period with the "ping pong effects". Billy May, Alvino Rey, Bernie Green, Ron Goodwin, and Sinatra's Come Swing With Me. I downloaded parts of these "ping pong" recordings. Very unique and still enjoyable to listen to.

BTW, Mr. Sheridan, thanks for the great site. It's a treasure trove filled with all the great spy/crime soundtrack jazz by Lalo Shifrin, Neal Hefti, John Barry, Henry Mancini and Quincy Jones. Just superb.

Here's another site another site devoted to Space Age Pop.
http://my.opera.com/Licorice Pizza/blog/index.dml/tag/Space Age Pop
The "album art" of some of the records is incredible.
frontpd8.jpg
musicinorbitmg0.jpg

enlargementph3.jpg
davidcarrollletsdancemz4.jpg

postha2.jpg
sr60003fom5.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points