Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2016 Goodwood Revival

MikeKardec

One Too Many
I was able to get there for a day. Here are some photos ...

P1010044 (1)GW copy.jpg P1010049GW copy.jpg P1010070GW copy.jpg P1010077GW copy.jpg P1010078GW copy.jpg P1010088GW copy.jpg P1010096GW copy.jpg P1010119GW copy.jpg P1010147GW copy.jpg

The word is that one of those Spitfires actually fought in the Battle of Britain.

Attachments

• P1010213GW copy.jpg
    P1010213GW copy.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 167

MikeKardec

One Too Many
Here's a few more ... P1010242GW copy.jpg P1010254GW copy.jpg P1010266GW copy.jpg P1010268GW copy.jpg P1010271GW copy.jpg
A celebrity of some ilk showed up ... no idea who, the place was crawling with people who owned and raced expensive cars.
P1010279GW copy.jpg
There was a Swiss and Italian component to the trip too. We stayed at Le Grand Hotel des iles Borromees where Hemingway used to dry out and on lake Lucerne ... where there were a lot of the same sort of thing, great old medical "spa" hotels and STEAMBOATS!
P1010453 copy.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
If I had known you were there I would have made contact with you. The photo of the young ladies is where you would have found me. Every year, the girls recreate the British comedy: Carry on Cabbie, the area that they use is also the drop off/collection point for the vintage cars ferrying VIP's to and from the hotel and other places around the site, which is what I do in the vintage MG.
Sorry I missed you but I do hope that you enjoyed the experience.

Smudger

New in Town
That sounds like a fun gig. Do you need a hand next year as I have a 65 Lotus that would love to help?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
That sounds like a fun gig. Do you need a hand next year as I have a 65 Lotus that would love to help?
If you send me a PM with your details, I'll send you the contact name, phone number and requirements to get you in.

Smudger

New in Town
I think your profile settings prevent me from starting a conversation with you by PM, or seeing your profile. Maybe if you PM me I will be able to reply, would that be okay?

Edward

Bartender
It was great. I'd love to come on the Friday rather than Sunday sometime ... it might be a bit less crowded!

Friday tends to be less crowded, though you definitely got the best of the weather coming on Sunday this year. Saturday -which we had intended to be our big look-around day - turned ouyt to be such a washout, we didn't make it over the the trackside at all between our stints. We had a grand weekend, though - as ever, with the Chap Magazine (available all good newsagents ;) ) and our miniature version of the Chap Olympiad. I ended up, unexpectedly, commentating for the whole weekend, which was tremendous fun. (It's a whole different angle than having been a "competitor" all these years, I can tell you!). I believe we're due back next year... Herself and I have already booked our accomodation. We were going to try Little Hampton this year, but then Butlins Bognor cancelled the "adult nineties music weekender" they had planned and did rather a stonking deal on accomodation, so we're booked in there now (with the bonus that we pay in monthly installments, so we won't even notice it going out). Looking forward to it already: this event now nicely bookends my Summerf season, with the full Olympiad on the other end, in early July.

MikeKardec

One Too Many
Friday tends to be less crowded, though you definitely got the best of the weather coming on Sunday this year.

That rainy Saturday was spent in another corner of the March Estate, the Rolls Royce Factory.

My "cousin" (she's kind of a step cousin acually) who got us into Goodwood works for a promotions agency and Rolls is one of their clients. When we got down there we discovered that she had us booked on a tour of the Rolls factory which may have been the "pay off" for getting us Goodwood "Mess" tickets. European car companies LOVE to show off their factories and will even give buyers from the US significant discounts for taking "European Delivery" of a car and taking the factory tour. They get to proselytize you for hours that way.

Anyway, you couldn't pay me to buy a Rolls and I think we "had" to take the tour but it was pretty damn interesting. It was also nice to talk to people who take pride in them. Living in LA they are mostly a bloated ego trophy but they did show us another side of it all. I have a lot more respect for them than I did so I guess they were somewhat successful.

I will go to Goodwood again but may have to save up for a couple more years.

Edward

Bartender
Rolls are nice, but it's been afair few years sicne they made one to my tastes - I find the modern versions a bit on the ugly side. Probably just as well I can't afford one. Still, why not cut out the middleman and just buy an actual Volkswagen nowadays anyhow? ;)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Rolls are nice, but it's been afair few years sicne they made one to my tastes - I find the modern versions a bit on the ugly side. Probably just as well I can't afford one. Still, why not cut out the middleman and just buy an actual Volkswagen nowadays anyhow? ;)
Volkswagen = Bentley, BMW = Rolls Royce! Of course, you could always buy the most British of cars, a 2017 Das Mini! :D

Edward

Bartender
Volkswagen = Bentley, BMW = Rolls Royce!

BMW bought the rights to the Rolls Royce intellectual property in 2003, but there's no direct linkage between the Rolls Royce Motor Cars Ltd created in 2003 as a subsidiary of BMW and the company that produced Rolls Royces and Bentleys sicne their inception until 2003 - that was taken over by Volkswagen, though it now only owns the Bentley Brand.

In which case, yeah, I guess a new Rolls is really just a BMW, so that would be the appropriate thing right enough - why shell out on a pretend Rolls Royce when all you're buying is a BMW.... Better buy a VW and at least get 'the real thing'. ;)

I think the only truly British car left in production is the Morgan? Would that I could afford one of those....

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The car that I like, money can't buy, there are so few left. About the only chance of getting hold of one is if you are lucky enough to see one being auctioned, but then you would need a King's ransom to buy it. It's called an MG WA, and it looks like this.
MG_WA_1938.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
We have three club members with Morgan's. Two of the ubiquitous Plus 8s, and one with a right hand drive Plus 4, that sounds great! The newer Plus 8 is so quite, you can hear the electric radiator fan over the V8!:confused:

Edward

Bartender
The Morgan is a beautiful car. I do wish someone would take the same concept and make an affordable, practical runabout alternative that could seat four adults. The PT Cruiser was a sort of nod in that direction - I've seen some well enough customised to get a fair bit of the way there, but they still look more like an eighties hotrod than a fifties model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points