Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'30s Suit, Goodbye!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I've got this tradition: before I send things off to eBay, I "eulogize" them here in the Lounge. Here's a nice one that I'm saying goodbye to. It's a 1936 double-breasted suit, size 39 R, with four rare details:

-- It's made of tropical weight worsted wool. This is one of the hardest fabrics to find in vintage '30s suits. Lightweight and made for the summer.

-- Its base color is teal blue. A very '30s color, teal blue is nonetheless very difficult to find in surviving vintage suits.

-- It has a windowpane pattern in turquoise blue. Suits with windowpane stripes were quite popular in the '30s, yet few vintage examples survive.

-- The trousers have single pleats, instead of the more usual double pleats.

Hope you like it!

suitshirttie004.jpg
suitshirttie005.jpg
another021_edited-1.jpg

suitshirttie009.jpg
suitshirttie007.jpg

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
That is a beautiful suit

Wish I could wear it. I'm relatively new to the actual vintage thing -- as opposed to vintage inspired -- and I'm getting frustrated with the lack of things that fit me. 42-43L jacket, 34" inseam pant, 7 1/2 noggin: Seems I'm generally out of luck. I know other people who are larger than I have an even more difficult time finding appropriately sized items of clothing, but it seems most suits I like (especially tweeds) are 38 or 40 regular.

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Incredible! And I could definately wear it too, I like my DBs on the tighter side. I love everything about it, esp. the color and the fact that I'm looking for lightweight suits.

If only I could afford it.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Marc, I hear by declare you mentally insane! You should be under 24 hour supervision and your collection locked away from your ebay frantic madness! Man, money is money… suits are suits… you can never replace that suit, you can however make money in other ways…. Why,… WHY?!

=WR=

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:
Marc, I hear by declare you mentally insane! You should be under 24 hour supervision and your collection locked away from your ebay frantic madness! Man, money is money… suits are suits… you can never replace that suit, you can however make money in other ways…. Why,… WHY?!

=WR=

i made a similar point in Marc's spectator shoe give-away bonanza thread.
Mr. Chevalier is clearly a few sandwiches short of a picnic. (i'm just jealous Marc, and dumbfounded) :eusa_doh:

Well, i can do 36R, but really i'm 34-35S. 36Rs are common, as ye know. Smaller than that - though more common than the larger sizes - are pretty thin on the ground.

Boy that's a fine suit Marc's selling. Lightwieght fabric too! And the colour! Bet you picked this up for a song, too didn't you Marc? Oh, to have been gathering vintage suits 10 years ago.

bk

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
My golly!

That is certainly something. In my exact size, too. Does anyone have any thoughts about this magnificent suit's lack of a third piece?

Fu Manchu

Wild Root

Gone Home
No vest...

That's just what I was going to say... summer suit = no vest. I've seen some white gabardine single breasted summer suits in movies with vests... but, that was mostly a trend that was seen in the south. A late 30's double breasted suit of this color and cut and fabric wouldn't have a vest. Now, if it were of heavy wool and not that of a light weight fabric, it is a safe bet that it had a vest.

=WR=

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Hmmm...

Summer suit without a vest, but it's double breasted. Bit of a misnomer as I generally consider a DB to be warmer than a SB. Anyone else think that a summer suit should always be single breasted? This one might just fit me too... may have to stop by ebay!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points