'30s Suit, Goodbye!

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Marc Chevalier, Apr 14, 2006.

1. I've got this tradition: before I send things off to eBay, I "eulogize" them here in the Lounge. Here's a nice one that I'm saying goodbye to. It's a 1936 double-breasted suit, size 39 R, with four rare details:

-- It's made of tropical weight worsted wool. This is one of the hardest fabrics to find in vintage '30s suits. Lightweight and made for the summer.

-- Its base color is teal blue. A very '30s color, teal blue is nonetheless very difficult to find in surviving vintage suits.

-- It has a windowpane pattern in turquoise blue. Suits with windowpane stripes were quite popular in the '30s, yet few vintage examples survive.

-- The trousers have single pleats, instead of the more usual double pleats.

Hope you like it!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Speedster

Speedster Practically Family

Very nice suit, just too bad it's not my size.

Speedster

4. Burma Shave

Burma Shave One of the Regulars

That is a beautiful suit

Wish I could wear it. I'm relatively new to the actual vintage thing -- as opposed to vintage inspired -- and I'm getting frustrated with the lack of things that fit me. 42-43L jacket, 34" inseam pant, 7 1/2 noggin: Seems I'm generally out of luck. I know other people who are larger than I have an even more difficult time finding appropriately sized items of clothing, but it seems most suits I like (especially tweeds) are 38 or 40 regular.

5. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

great looking suit Marc.
    too big for me alas.

6. Hemingway Jones

Hemingway Jones I'll Lock Up Bartender

Marc, I wish you would say why, why, why would you part with such beautiful items? It drives me mad! ;)

7. jake_fink

jake_fink Call Me a Cab

That is one beautiful suit.

I'd look for it on Ebay but 39R... might fit one of my feet. :(

8. Briscoeteque

Briscoeteque One of the Regulars

Incredible! And I could definately wear it too, I like my DBs on the tighter side. I love everything about it, esp. the color and the fact that I'm looking for lightweight suits.

If only I could afford it.

9. Matt Deckard

Matt Deckard Man of Action

hmmmm

10. ArrowCollarMan

ArrowCollarMan A-List Customer

Very nice suit! I'm not terribly fond of blue suits but I do like this one. :)

11. Wild Root

Wild Root Gone Home

Marc, I hear by declare you mentally insane! You should be under 24 hour supervision and your collection locked away from your ebay frantic madness! Man, money is money… suits are suits… you can never replace that suit, you can however make money in other ways…. Why,… WHY?!

=WR=

12. Zach R.

Zach R. Practically Family

A 39R? Where is Baron Kurtz when you need him?:p

13. Wild Root

Wild Root Gone Home

I think the Baron is a 36R... or something... he's a lucky small guy!

=WR=

14. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

i made a similar point in Marc's spectator shoe give-away bonanza thread.
    Mr. Chevalier is clearly a few sandwiches short of a picnic. (i'm just jealous Marc, and dumbfounded) :eusa_doh:

15. Well, i can do 36R, but really i'm 34-35S. 36Rs are common, as ye know. Smaller than that - though more common than the larger sizes - are pretty thin on the ground.

Boy that's a fine suit Marc's selling. Lightwieght fabric too! And the colour! Bet you picked this up for a song, too didn't you Marc? Oh, to have been gathering vintage suits 10 years ago.

bk

16. Fu Manchu

Fu Manchu One of the Regulars

My golly!

That is certainly something. In my exact size, too. Does anyone have any thoughts about this magnificent suit's lack of a third piece?

Fu Manchu

17. It's a very lightweight suit made for summer and resort wear. Warmer weather would have made a waistcoat superfluous. My guess is that it never had a waistcoat to begin with. Think of those cream-colored "Palm Beach Cloth" suits from the '30s. Almost none of them were made with waistcoats.

The suit's on eBay as we speak: http://www.thefedoralounge.net/showpost.php?p=100155&postcount=1

18. Wild Root

Wild Root Gone Home

No vest...

That's just what I was going to say... summer suit = no vest. I've seen some white gabardine single breasted summer suits in movies with vests... but, that was mostly a trend that was seen in the south. A late 30's double breasted suit of this color and cut and fabric wouldn't have a vest. Now, if it were of heavy wool and not that of a light weight fabric, it is a safe bet that it had a vest.

=WR=

19. 3PieceSuitGuy

3PieceSuitGuy One of the Regulars

Hmmm...

Summer suit without a vest, but it's double breasted. Bit of a misnomer as I generally consider a DB to be warmer than a SB. Anyone else think that a summer suit should always be single breasted? This one might just fit me too... may have to stop by ebay!!!

20. Lots of summer suits were double-breasted. It isn't logical or practical ... but then again, much of fashion isn't!