Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'40s Alan McAfee for OVIATT'S Wingtips, 11D

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I came across this great pair of English-made tan pebble-grain wingtips on Ebay, but sadly they just don't fit me. They were made by Alan McAfee, a legendary English shoemaker, for Oviatt's--which, as we know, was perhaps "The GREATEST Menswear Store Ever!" Oviatt's only sold the finest of men's clothing and accessories, and these are no exception. They're a beautifully cut, well-constructed pair of English benchmade shoes, and I'm sorry to have to part with them.

They're in remarkably good condition, considering their age. They have acquired a beautiful patina over the years. They were listed on Ebay as being from the '40s, and I see no reason to doubt that. The heels have worn down somewhat, and might need to be replaced by your cobbler--mine charges $17 for new heels. Also, the leather around the top of the foot opening has dried out and cracked a bit. It's nothing major, and if you're careful to use a shoehorn when you put them on, it shouldn't get worse. A competent cobbler might even be able to put a strip of leather around the top to protect that area.

If you get these, not only will you be getting an extremely well-made and stylish pair of shoes that will look good and last for decades more, you'll also be getting an important piece of American sartorial history. Oviatt's items aren't all that common anymore, and they really were top-of-the-line.

Size is 11D, and I'd say they're a true 11. I hoped they'd fit my 11.5 feet, but no luck. If anything, they might be slightly on the small side for 11s.

I'm asking $70 shipped in the continental US. Paypal only. PM me if you're interested or have questions.

DSCF5759.jpg
DSCF5760.jpg
DSCF5763.jpg
DSCF5762.jpg
DSCF5766.jpg
DSCF5768.jpg
DSCF5761.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24