Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5.4 Earthquake Shook me this morning

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Here too!

panamanbob,
I felt it here this a.m. too. I live about 300 miles from the epicenter of the earthquake(s). The first one was at 4:37 a.m. this a.m and then a second one at 10:14 a.m. (The second one was a little less than the first quake--it was a 4.6) While hubby and I didn't wake up to the first quake (I vaguely remember thinking he was shaking the bed or something), I definitely felt the second one. I was sitting in the recliner and it felt like something was shaking the chair and then the whole house was shaking. It lasted about 25 seconds. My son was sleeping on the couch and it woke him up. No real damage, just a few things moved around. I'm sure the CA people consider this size of a quake pretty minimal, but for those of us living in the Midwest, earthquakes are not that common. I'm getting stuff ready for tornado season, but I guess now I'd better do a little earthquake preparedness!:)

Foofoogal

Banned
Glad everyone is ok. I heard on our local Houston news by a weather person that the kind of quake y'all had is a bit different than the ones out in California and generally has no aftershocks. So hopefully it is all done.
I know I was in Indiana a few years back around Evansville and they do alot of blasting for coal (or something) up there. I would think that is not exactly great. [huh]

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Got my sister too. We grew up in CA though, so it wasn't too big a deal.

Just a thought, but you might want to consider adding earthquake insurance to your renters or homeowners. Regular homeowners/renters won't cover damage caused by earthquakes. I guess in that part of the country it's pretty negligible cost wise (this is according to my sister) and though your chances for a quake are pretty low, there have been bad ones there in the past.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Joie DeVive said:
Got my sister too. We grew up in CA though, so it wasn't too big a deal.

Just a thought, but you might want to consider adding earthquake insurance to your renters or homeowners. Regular homeowners/renters won't cover damage caused by earthquakes. I guess in that part of the country it's pretty negligible cost wise (this is according to my sister) and though your chances for a quake are pretty low, there have been bad ones there in the past.

I actually did have earthquake insurance on our homeowners policy back in the 1980s when there was a small earthquake and the New Madrid fault came into public focus. After a few years I took it off to save some dollars, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't put it back on. You are correct that the cost is pretty minimal, but at the time I took it off we were really counting our pennies.

Sarge

One of the Regulars
I slept through the whole thing today. Didn't even know that it had happened until I saw it on the noon news. I remember the little tremor we had here back in '88 but missed this one completely.

On a side note today is the 102nd anniversary of the Great San Francisco Earthquake.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HoosierDaddy said:
Woke up to the house shaking..and windows rattling. however...no damage. I remember a quake about like this one back in 1969 here in eastcentral Indiana.
HD
i believe the one you are talking about happened in '68. i was actually surging the net this morning when it happened. i didnt know what to think at first, the room i was in was kinda moving in a circular direction...

Mike in Seattle

RE: earthquake insurance - find out what you're covered for already and then what the quake insurance covers you for. Most of what earthquake insurance covers is already covered under a general homeowners policy for those losses or you're paying for coverage for things that you don't need coverage for anyway. My folks insurance guy in LA said it's a big waste of money - and he even said, "So you have a quake and the house falls down...set fire to the mess and walk away. You'll get way better coverage for fire than the quake. The fire department'll be too tied up with other things anyhow."

AND you can't buy earthquake insurance anywhere there's been a measurable quake for either 30 or 90 days following the quake. I believe that's nationwide, but I know for a fact it's the West Coast states if not the entire nation.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I remember as a kid in the 70s there was (is) a big scare how Ca was going to slide into the Ocean. They even had a song that was popular at the time. One of the lines were " Where will you go when there's no San Fransico ". It seems to most of us here if it isn't over 4.0 nobody seems to notice. I remember laughing when they said that in the movie "Independence Day".

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
DutchIndo said:
I remember as a kid in the 70s there was (is) a big scare how Ca was going to slide into the Ocean. They even had a song that was popular at the time. One of the lines were " Where will you go when there's no San Fransico ". It seems to most of us here if it isn't over 4.0 nobody seems to notice. I remember laughing when they said that in the movie "Independence Day".

I distinctively remember my Dad and his friends sitting in the living room talking about it. My dad's friend looked at me and said "When you are about 36, California is going to slide off into the ocean". I was 13 or 14 at the time and now I am almost 44.

Heck, when I was growing up in he 70's, we were told we were headed for another ice age, especially after the Blizzard of 77/78 :rolleyes:

jayem

A-List Customer
The only time I heard about it was on the news this morning. I'm in Chicago and I didn't feel a thing!

Miss 1929

They aren't really that bad as long as you use Quake Wax on your breakables!
But I have to admit, every time we have a tremor, I worry about my front two corners of the house foundation...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana