Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

50s party planning. Need some ideas.

Katue

Familiar Face
Hi, girls!

I'm planning a 50s birthday party. So I need some inspiration and interesting ideas! I've already purchased some decorations such as large vinyl records, guirlands and banners, some vintagy posters. I'll give guests stylish glasses and sunglasses, colorful bowties and tiaras foir girls. I picked some music from 50s and 60s. But I'm running out of ideas. What about entertainment and activities? Games to play? Need some insiration, ladies!
As to coctails I decided to make milkshackes and some gorgeous alcogolic coctails with cherries and all that staff. What about food? Any ifdeas?
I'll be dressed like Audrey in Breakfast at Tiffany's :)

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
Fondue! I sent you a private message too, but here is a fondue recipe for all to enjoy, haha.

EASY FONDUE
Fondue is sexy! It reminds people of key parties (aka wife swappin’ get togethers) and a time when the country let down their hair and unfastened that top button. Fondue is great for a 50s, 60s, or 70s theme party and this easy recipe will please any crowd. (This recipe is an adaptation of one from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.)

*Makes about 3 cups fondue

Ingredients:
24 oz. shredded Swiss cheese
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 cups dry white wine
2 tablespoons Kirsch-Wasser

Directions:
Dredge cheese with flour. Heat wine in a medium saucepan over low heat until tiny bubbles appear. Add cheese by the handful into wine. Stir until smooth and then add another handful of cheese and stir, repeating process until all cheese has been incoporated. Stir in Kirsch until cheese is velvety! Transfer to a fondue pot over a low flame and serve with fondue dippers like cubed Italian or French bread, broccoli, mushrooms, and baby carrots. If you don’t have enough fondue forks use long bamboo skewers.

Jello Salad! :)
very '50s

jello-salad-03.jpg

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Pineapple, their has to be a pineapple at a ritzy fifties party, whether it's in the punch, on a stick as a canape (pineapple and cheese hedgehog is quite authentic), the shape of your icebucket, or just hanging around. You need a pineapple! Lots of brightly coloured finger food and canapes should do the trick too!

I have been to some great fifties, Tiki/hawaiian parties.

As for party games, i think anything a bit traditional and silly, musical chairs, blind man's buff, statues, sardines, with cocktails and good music things should flow smoothly.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Jello Salad! :)
very '50s

jello-salad-03.jpg

Nice one! You pipped me to the post, that's what i meant by brightly coloured food. It has to be luminous, like that jello salad! Luminous food is very fifties!

Actually something like a big pot of spaghetti bolognese or similar, was quite exotic then and often produced in a big pot and put on the table for guests to help themselves. I have read quite a few old novels where that has been the order of the day for a party.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I seem to recall a thread on here somewhere about "fabulous" 50's food; as a vegetarian, the "eewwwww" factor has not yet left me...

Orlando

New in Town
Hi friends i am a event planner and i am organised different events like musical event birthday party event and
wedding event and i am doing this business from a log time so i just want to say you that you should be
organised you event in a hotel in under of Emcees the most important thing is that you must be tell
them about your event and they are well known about their business and arrange your event very
special......

Amy

New in Town
I second the pineapple thing. Almost any exotic fruit was popular, as it wasn't easy to get hold of (in England, at least). Why not invent your own games? Adapt other party games you know, charades with a 50s theme, perhaps a murder mystery game, or even a dance competition if you're feeling brave? A drinking game (tiny shots of Campari and lemonade, of course) watching an old film? Try all taking a shot each time there's a shot if Marilyn wiggling away from the camera, or Vivienne leigh raises one eyebrow, or..... The possibilties are endless! Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana