Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5th ENG Special Brigade Signal Corp Photog

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
thought some of you might like this shot. Ive just purchased this `44 print of 1stLt Steck- shortly before D-day. He commanded a Signal Corp Combat Photo Unit among the first to document D-Day in Normandy.

Ive found its generally uncommon to see army 'camera men' with black Leicas & camerabags during the war. Post-war, there are army manuals on how to operate this sort of kit.

3494648453_68e190cb40.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Yes, definitely wool trousers & a 'tanker' jacket with the rectangular 'conmatic' zip, like on the buzz rickson copies. The signal corp patch on his forearm is clear, Camera Man Official.
There seems to be 45 on his hip, behind the camerabag.

It might not be evident, but on the original, his helmet clearly has the markings of the Special Engineers Brigade.

There are other pix of this officer with his unit floating around out there. But offhand, Im not sure how much of their Dday film made it off the beach.

Years ago, I picked up a shot of a YANK photog a bit after Dday kneeling over the grave of a Yank photog killed in the invasion. He is also gripping a leica, but no bag.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I believe the only wartime standard issue 35mm camera was a kodak 35. But I have heard of photogs being issued the leica, tho the NY wing of the Leica company was unable to provide the US Army with a camera supply.

Steck was a professional photog before the war, so it mightve been his personal camera. Or it mightve been provided to him as part of the war effort. After the war, this became an issued piece of gear to SOME photogs.

The US did try to get a contractor to make a leica copy, but it didnt arrive in time for the war.

There are pix of Patton wearing a leica as well as a book of his photos.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Omaha

http://www.gordon.army.mil/ocos/ac/WWII/D-DAY.asp

Detachment P of 290th Signal Photographic Company, commanded by Lt. George Steck, landed at Omaha Beach. The detachment consisted of Steck, two still photographers and two motion-picture cameramen. They had arrived as part of the first pre-dawn assault wave, but couldn't immediately take photographs because they'd need to use flashbulbs, which would alert the German defenders on shore.

When daylight broke they started snapping their invasion pictures. Some of the most impressionistic photos taken that day came from Steck's detachment. The photographers shot pictures of men checking their equipment and saying goodbye to their friends before battle. They captured on film the first casualties being brought back and the D-day invasion's second wave.

They got shots of the Germans' big guns hitting the water, casting up huge walls of spray; of medical corpsmen working ceaselessly, administering aid to the wounded; of men who had been killed even before they reached shore; and of Germans who were taken prisoners.

Most important, they got forever on film American soldiers methodically working their way forward toward the relentless Germans.

PSU Chris

New in Town
George Steck is my maternal grandfather, and I came across this page while looking him up. I've never seen this photo of him before, but I'm very glad I found it! There is a picture he took at http://www.history.army.mil/html/reference/normandy/pictures.html , the 21st picture down. My mother has a box full of the Official Signal Corps photos from WWII, which my Grandfather scanned shortly before passing away a few years ago. I'm in the process of typing up all the captions so I can get them online.

He definitely loved his photography, and I'm certainly glad I found such a great photo of him. Thanks for posting! Can I ask where you got it?

MrBern said:
I believe the only wartime standard issue 35mm camera was a kodak 35. But I have heard of photogs being issued the leica, tho the NY wing of the Leica company was unable to provide the US Army with a camera supply.

Steck was a professional photog before the war, so it mightve been his personal camera. Or it mightve been provided to him as part of the war effort. After the war, this became an issued piece of gear to SOME photogs.

The US did try to get a contractor to make a leica copy, but it didnt arrive in time for the war.

There are pix of Patton wearing a leica as well as a book of his photos.

I recall reading somewhere that the Army purchased a large quantity of Leica cameras in neutral Spain for its photogs.

Many of the photos of the Normandy Campaign were also shot by photographers from the 165th Signal Photographic Company which was the First Army photographic unit.

Story

I'll Lock Up
PSU Chris said:
George Steck is my maternal grandfather, and I came across this page while looking him up.

Welcome to FL. Keep an eye on the EVENTS folder, you might want to hit the air show in Reading this coming June.

Peterz

New in Town
George Steck is my maternal grandfather, and I came across this page while looking him up. I've never seen this photo of him before, but I'm very glad I found it! There is a picture he took at http://www.history.army.mil/html/reference/normandy/pictures.html , the 21st picture down. My mother has a box full of the Official Signal Corps photos from WWII, which my Grandfather scanned shortly before passing away a few years ago. I'm in the process of typing up all the captions so I can get them online.

He definitely loved his photography, and I'm certainly glad I found such a great photo of him. Thanks for posting! Can I ask where you got it?
Hey Chris on this anniversary of D Day I was thinking about a group of v letters from George Steck that I purchased awhile back. I found this post and if you see it and can somehow prove that George Steck is your maternal grandfather I would be happy to return them to your family. I am sure that they would mean more to your family then to me.
Peter Z
20210606_124419.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
Hey Chris on this anniversary of D Day I was thinking about a group of v letters from George Steck that I purchased awhile back. I found this post and if you see it and can somehow prove that George Steck is your maternal grandfather I would be happy to return them to your family. I am sure that they would mean more to your family then to me.
Peter Z View attachment 339856
I have sent Chris an email alerting him of your generous offer. It's been over 11 years since he has logged in, so the likelihood of his seeing your message is slim.

Peterz

New in Town
I have sent Chris an email alerting him of your generous offer. It's been over 11 years since he has logged in, so the likelihood of his seeing your message is slim.

Thanks!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk