Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

8.5.1945 The Victory Day

Giftmacher

One Too Many
Translation of the inscription on the monument reads:
Here stood S.S. Maklakov's small house that served as the base of guerrilla group of Major Krylov in the fight against the German occupiers.
th_DSCN4780.jpg

Last edited:

slc

Familiar Face
What a beautiful place it is, and probably was, back in those dark days. It is hard for me to imagine how difficult and fearful the world can be when living under an oppressive regime. I am glad monuments like this exist. But it looks like too few people find this remote monument and understand.

Giftmacher

One Too Many
Yes, indeed. I read the book before I found that monument, only residents of the villages nearby knows about it. Just by the way, Stepan Sergeyevich Maklakov was teacher in small village below the Smolensk. Was drafted into the army as artilleryman. In 1916 he was seriously wounded by splinter of the grenade and captured by Austrians. He was taken to the rear in the territory of today's Bohemia. He survived thanks to his nurse Marie. After the first war was not allowed to return into his homeland together with Marie and leave her he could not. They worked hard together for wealthy Czechs. Then bought a piece of land in the forest, cut out bushes and built with their own hands "Maklakov's hut." Both of them became ill and died during the war and I'm trying to find out, what happened to the house.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21