Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9mm or 45cal

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Ok bartenders, if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move this post.

Fellow loungers, I have a dilemma. I have been eying the Ruger P95, which is a 9mm for quite some time. It is currently on sale at a local store here for a good price. I currently have a five shot Taurus 357 snub nose, and a S&W six shot 38.

Now, Ruger also has a P345 which is a 45cal. However, it is about $200 more. :(

I like the idea of a 45cal for the knock down power. But the P95, 9mm, would be a little bit easier to handle (I could get more used to the 45 with a little practice).

Now, what would I be using the weapon for? I could probably use the P95 for conceal carry, but the P345 is only a little wider and longer. In general, the other uses would be home defense, and to take along on back woods hiking and camping trips. Oh, also, tooling around at the range.

The ammo for the 45cal would be a little more expensive too.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
The 9mm is not a great weapon for self defense. Most law enforcement agencies have abandoned it in favor of the .40 and calibers with more solid stopping power. It is fine for the military, but if you want to make a person...especially a large person...stop whatever he's doing...and stop it right now...the 9mm isn't your best choice.

AF

WH1

Practically Family
Big fan of the .45 ACP I have 2, a 1911A1, Sig P220 (my personal favorite) but I also like 9mm due to lower recoil, accuracy, and mag capacity. Fan of the Browning Hi-Power and I have a Sig P226 which I have carried for years it is a go to for me especially when abroad, easy to get ammo .45 not so much anymore. My logic is if I group properly (Mozambique) the individual won't be a problem. 9mm is easy to practice with so the groups are tight. Shoot what works for you better to put all the rounds in center with a .22LR than miss all with a .45.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Good point on getting a caliber that you can shoot on target with. However, I think that with most guns, I can get fairly accurate with practice. I think I really want the 45cal, because of the stopping power. But, man, I'm trying to pay cash for everything and I may have to wait. Now, the p345 is a little bigger, so I probably won't carry it as much. Which means, I may end up with the 9mm. Boy, can I talk myself in circles.:eusa_doh:

Buggnkat

Familiar Face
With the new ammo on the market these days, a 380 can open to the point of being as or more lethal than a 45.

What would you like to do with the gun? If your paper punching, then a 9 wouldnt be a bad choice. Ammo isnt too bad (I say that with tongue in cheek as all ammo is expensive these days) compared to other calibers.

Self defense, I would recommend a gun that fits your hand, is balanced for you and most importantly accurate for you. A friend of mine says "if it doesnt jump into your hand, then you have the wrong weapon", translated "if it fits, you can shoot it accurately, then you have the right weapon for you". Again ammo coming out and some that is out now, makes smaller calibers open wounds far greater than the larger calibers.

Last edited:

Rathdown

Practically Family
"Stopping power" is something of a myth; incapacitation of an assailant only occurs when the flow of oxygenated blood to the brain is interrupted long enough to cause unconsciousness, or the central nervous system is damaged to the point that paralysis occurs. Either event can be caused by a well placed 9mm or .45 caliber bullet. Neither round, contrary to what one sees in the movies, will knock a man down, except under the most exceptional of circumstances.

My advice would be to buy a used 9mm Ruger P89 for two reasons. First, you will save yourself a couple of hundred bucks; second, 9mm is probably tied with .38 spl. as the most commonly available handgun ammunition commercially available in the United States (.22 long rifle is classified as rifle ammunition). If you check out the on-line auction sites (try Googling Gun Broker and Guns America) you will get a feel for the prices of used Rugers.

Buggnkat

Familiar Face
"Stopping power" is something of a myth; incapacitation of an assailant only occurs when the flow of oxygenated blood to the brain is interrupted long enough to cause unconsciousness, or the central nervous system is damaged to the point that paralysis occurs. Either event can be caused by a well placed 9mm or .45 caliber bullet. Neither round, contrary to what one sees in the movies, will knock a man down, except under the most exceptional of circumstances.

True, but kinetic energy of a 45 versus a 9, there is quite a bit of difference. I have fired both in combat, and round for round I would take the 45 to combat and leave the 9 in the arms room. The wounds caused by the rounds make the difference, and with the ammo coming out for the self defense market these days the caliber argument is going to be a mute point shortly. The new teflon tips coming out expand to the point the wounds inflicted are relating to the size of a quarter going in and exiting the size of a golf ball coming out. I was shocked and impressed after the demo.

I carry a 45 Rock Island CS 1911a1. It is relatively inexpensive and comfortable for me. It is very accurate right out of the case. I would recommed it as it will come in under $520 depending on your state tax.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Yep, the P345 is about $520.00, the one I'm looking at. The P95 I'm looking at is about $350.00. The P345 I'm looking at is only a little bigger. Both feel really nice in my hand. I would get much more practice with the P95 though because the ammo is cheaper.

sal

One of the Regulars
Why not a compromise between the two.
I am a big fan of the .40. I have multiple calibers and my carry piece is the .40.
Also I am a fan of Glock, although I also have S&W, Browning, SigSauer, an Taurus. I agree with Buggnkat; the most important feature of a handgun is one that FITS you and your hand

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
I've thought about the 40cal, but for some reason, it just doesn't spark my fancy. I did find this online. I haven't heard the audio because the kids are sleeping and I don't want to disturb them. But, it is interesting ballistics.

[video=youtube;-5kHo7iyECY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5kHo7iyECY&feature=related[/video]

Johnnysan

One Too Many
With the exception of military and law enforcement personnel, I'm always left to wonder why the issue of "stopping power" is such a determining factor in the purchase of a handgun. I understand the thought that if confronted in a "deadly force" situation, an individual will want to stack the deck to their advantage by availing themself of the most firepower they can muster to end the situation quickly and walk out alive. But, really, how often does the average citizen find him or herself in that kind of situation?

To me, it's about carrying what you're most comfortable with and most successful with in terms of putting rounds on target. I have fired nearly every handgun cartridge made and I'm certainly not against the larger calibers...they have their place and do the job that they were intended for. But for everyone who will tell you that a .22, or a .25 auto, or a .32, or a .380 isn't a lethal round, there's a corpse somewhere whose existence tells a different story.

For me, the 9mm would be the way to go. It's less expensive to shoot, which means you can afford more range time. More range time translates to more familiarity with the weapon which, in turn, leads to better accuracy and control. And, in an actual firefight, I'll give the edge to the guy who can hit the target over the guy who is carrying a cannon that he can't control.

scooter

Practically Family
I'm with Johnnysan. Hit what you're aiming at and you'll stop it/him. If the Marines (and I am a retired Marine) find that the 9mm is satisfactory, I figure that's all I need to know. Hell, a pellet gun to the kneecap or the forehead will stop anyone I can imagine, then you can finish him off at your leisure if you choose.

TomS

One Too Many
Hi:

There are folks here certainly better able to offer an opinion on this matter than I. Having said that, I'm a police firearms instructor, and have been for about 25 years. I've done a little bit of shooting in that time, and I would suggest the .45. I am personaly aware of one situation where an individual wearing a leather jacket was unharmed by two direct hits from a "nine", and I've heard of other similar situations as well. I dont imagine that hits from a .45 would have been deflected by a leather jacket irregardless of the thickness of the leather.
Best,
Tom

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
You mentioned home defense. Are you planning on being the only one to fire this weapon, or will it possibly be used by others in your household as well?

I will most likely be the only one, as my wife has her own gun.
I've been looking at bullet costs, and I'm thinking the 9mm is the way to go. If I need more than that, heck, I do have a .357 wheel gun. My uses a 6 shot 38cal S&W that we inherited from my mom.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Hi:

There are folks here certainly better able to offer an opinion on this matter than I. Having said that, I'm a police firearms instructor, and have been for about 25 years. I've done a little bit of shooting in that time, and I would suggest the .45. I am personaly aware of one situation where an individual wearing a leather jacket was unharmed by two direct hits from a "nine", and I've heard of other similar situations as well. I dont imagine that hits from a .45 would have been deflected by a leather jacket irregardless of the thickness of the leather.
Best,
Tom

Hi Tom,
Was the person with the 9mm shooting FMJ or hollow-points?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Someone on the 1911 forum has a tag line reading "A 9mm may expand, but a .45 sure won't shrink,"

I carry a Beratta .22LR and a 1911 in .45 ACP. The .45 because I like the trigger, and the .22LR because I can conceal it wearing shorts and T-shirt.

Later

Gene

Practically Family
Agreed with Johnnysan. The debate is ridiculous, I've even had people say "If someone shot me with a .38 it would just make me mad." Riiiiiiight.

A gun you are comfortable with, regardless of caliber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff