Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Anyone ever see an A-1 like the one in the left?
0edb3e0b1da32e63c1a8d2f7489eab50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Yeah you are right, I looked at that. Very different pockets and collar though.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
It’s a mystery. I have seen those pockets on a shawl collar somewhere. [emoji1745]‍[emoji3603]

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Looks like an insulated type of a heavy leather coat? Not trim. You see how his arms are not long or very bulky. Nice jacket.

I also noticed how long the jacket is as well. I usually associate jackets from the 30s with being high waisted.

The length on this jacket creates a very awkward fit. I'm not one for short jackets to be sure but this makes the wearer look like a hot dog in a bun. Not a pattern that needs revisiting imho. Not everything vintage is good.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The length on this jacket creates a very awkward fit. I'm not one for short jackets to be sure but this makes the wearer look like a hot dog in a bun. Not a pattern that needs revisiting imho. Not everything vintage is good.
This is a really good point and one worthy of a thread of its own. I remember seeing a couple of Alexander Leather jackets that were based on vintage jackets, and they were big pocketed horrors. It wasn't so much that they were inaccurate, it was just that they were horrible designs in themselves.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I am enjoying seeing photos and/or examples of vintage stuff and comparing it to today's repros. I tend to like some jackets long and loose, although I also have short and tight and like them too.

Skyhawk

Vendor
Civilian sports jackets like that predate the A1 and continue to be made today with no military or flying connections. Golf, mainly.

Yes, The jacket on the right is not an A-1 either. It is a civilian Golf / hunting jacket from the 1920's. It is made of suede or nubuck and they were common. It has been theorized that the A-1 was based on the design of just that type of sport jacket.

It's funny in this case. With those knickers and socks the guy on the left looks like he just wandered off the fairway.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Yes, The jacket on the right is not an A-1 either. It is a civilian Golf / hunting jacket from the 1920's. It is made of suede or nubuck and they were common. It has been theorized that the A-1 was based on the design of just that type of sport jacket.

It's funny in this case. With those knickers and socks the guy on the left looks like he just wandered off the fairway.
It is very cool to learn about the origins of the A-1. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto