Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A 1920's (?) "Tie Press" - Ever Seen One?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
This turned up at an antique mall last weekend. Though we didn't buy it, it was a good thing to share so we got some photos.

It's made of hardwood, likely oak, with metal bracing that didn't seem to come apart or adjust. It was marked as a tie press, and had a tie inserted in it to demonstrate. You slide the inner slab of wood out, wrap a necktie around it, then slide it into the two braced outer boards. This would indeed flatten a tie - it probably worked pretty well with a little steam or bathroom humidity. I think it was marked 1920's but dealers are usually guessing. I've never seen one before, have you? I got a shot of the label but it is too blurred to read.

As spotted, with tie and center board inserted:
Tiepress1.jpg

Center board pulled out:
Tiepress2.jpg

The bracing:
Tiepress3.jpg

Thanks to our lovely hand model, Barbigirl.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I've seen a lot of them, but none that look exactly like yours. They were usually British or Canadian made, and seem to have been most popular in the 'teens and '20s ... until electrical tie presses supplanted them.

I once borrowed a wooden tie press and tried it on my ties -- it didn't work well at all. lol

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Unusual

I've seen some tie pressers made of metal, but not wood like yours. I almost bought one until I realized that, as you stated, it would flatten the ties and eliminate the rolled edges. Now I use a metal rod tie presser (c.1960) which fits inside the necktie, and allows you to iron the tie withoug flattening it.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I scored this a week or two ago on Ebay.co.uk and I'm pleased with it. It was less than £10 and it works well. I just used it on a 1930s or early 1940s tie.

TiePress.jpg

The new practice I plan to institute on vintage ties will be as follows.
Rub stains in water and woolite.
Soak in water and woolite.
Air dry on towel.
Press in tie press.

... unless anyone gives me an excellent reason to reconsider one of these steps.

I have tried ironing ties (between damp towels, naturally). I just don't like the amount of steam, nor the very idea itself of holding a hot iron anywhere near a tie.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Widebrim said:
Hope it works out for you, Doran! I wash with Wool 'N Care (poor man's Woolite), hang to dry, and then iron with a tie rod inserted in necktie.

I'll look for Wool'N Care, as I am poor as a churchmouse (grad student budget). A tie rod ... hmmm. Well, the very idea of ironing brings out the worst of my laziness and sloppiness, so I don't think I'll go that route.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but do those oldschool tie-presses actually WORK? Are they practical for smoothing out your ties?

I've been considering buying one to look after my ties with, ever since I started wearing them more frequently, of late.

Are they a good investment?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I've done some research on tie-presses (since I intend to buy one).

Apparently what you need to do is to get a piece of cardboard. You cut the cardboard to the same shape as the tie and slip it into the folds of the tie. This helps keep the shape.

Then, you open the press, slip the tie (and the cardboard) into the press, close the press and screw (or clamp) it down.

Leave the tie in the press overnight. It takes time for the pressure of the tie-press to do it's magic.

Then the next morning, open the press, take out the cardboard cutout and remove the tie. And it should be nice and flat and smooth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk