Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-3 Pants?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
These have been kicking around various closets and attics at least since my grandfather died. I believe they are the companion to his long-gone B-3 jacket (at least, I think that's the name for a "bomber" jacket with the exposed woolly collar). What can you tell me about these pants?

Barn_Finds010.jpg

Barn_Finds011.jpg

Barn_Finds008.jpg

Barn_Finds009.jpg

In case you can't read it, the tag says:

Type A-3
DWG. NO. 33H 5592
A.C. CONTRACT
NO. W 535 ac-19436
AERO LEATHER CLO. CO.
BEACON, N.Y.

And below that is the size tag - 38R.

Unfortunately, they're getting a bit moldy. Not a lot remains of my grandfather's WWII service, so I'd like to keep them in nice shape. Any hints?

Someday I'd like to buy a repo B-3 to pair them with, perhaps with a 507th Fighter Squadron patch painted on the back.

-Dave

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Interesting, as grandpa was definitely in a squadron of P-47s, at least at the end of the war. However, his capacity was more like ground crew - they repaired, or stripped battle-damaged aircraft. I wonder how he ended up with the B-3 "ensemble" as you call it - maybe just found they were good cold-weather clothing?

Actually, as an aside, there is a sketch of a B-26 Marauder amongst the memerobilia with no explanation. Plus, there's a stretch of his service from '42 to '43 that nobody seems to know anything about. I've heard he was in North Africa, but I've seen nothing to back that up.

-Dave

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
David Conwill said:
Interesting, as grandpa was definitely in a squadron of P-47s, at least at the end of the war. However, his capacity was more like ground crew - they repaired, or stripped battle-damaged aircraft. I wonder how he ended up with the B-3 "ensemble" as you call it - maybe just found they were good cold-weather clothing?

The USAAF is not my forté David but if it was anything like the RAF, ground crew very often utilised cold weather aircrew wear during the winter months. This was obviously due to them being outside for long periods of time in the European winter servicing aircraft. I'd imagine that your grandfather had these for this reason.

Eyemo

Practically Family
Moldy is ok...but have they gone to the tissue paper tearing stage?..Leather like this can look great, but some (not all) go to this easy-tear stage. If it's at this point, then there is nothing much you can do..just resist from "testing" the leather, as there is no way you can repair these tears.

If they are in sound condition, feed them up and keep out of direct sunlight.

Hope this helps.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
DutchIndo said:
They were mostly used by bomber crews, from what I've heard they were too bulky to use in fighters ( B-3 ensemble ). A size 38 definately makes the value of your pants go up.
Look out! 38 means CHEST size - not waist. This was done to match up the jacket and trou correctly, a 38 jacket taking a 32 trou (as in civilian suit sizing).

38 (32 waist) and 40 (34) were actually common sizes - 42 (36) is scarce, 44 (38) nearly unheard of.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
Look out! 38 means CHEST size - not waist.

That makes sense, since my grandfather wasn't nearly so large around the middle as I, and I'm a size 36 to size 38 waist. He was a tall, skinny, basketball player type and I'm a tall, heavy, football player type.

-Dave

Eyemo

Practically Family
Ahh no problem.. Coat them in a leather food/cream. I'm not sure if we have the same leather products, but I'm sure someone could advise on this.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
Nice kitty, BTW, Dave.

hahaha, thanks. He was absolutely enthralled with those pants. I think perhaps my parents cat(s) were laying on them where I found them in the garage. He lay on them for a bit too after the pics were taken. I've since put them up.

I'm rather excited to know my grandfather's jacket size. Someday when I've got money to burn, I'm going to commission a B-3 in his honor and display it with the pants.

Gosh, that's gonna be one big and heavy shadowbox on the wall.

-Dave

Concrete Jungle

New in Town
Dave, for preserving your flight pants, I'd try a leather oil and conditioner, called "Montana Pitch Blend" I have two sets of sheepskin flight pants that I use this on. Runs $8 a bottle and smells good too! Living in Montana, the bottle is easy to come by. However, its made in Oregon I think, and can be found online. After that, for storage, place them in a canvas or cotton bag, but no plastic. This way, the leather is still able to breath and stay clean and preserved, for may more years.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
I have a wonderful collection of old wartime sheepskin leather jackets and flying trousers.Once i receive them,they usually smell of mould and very musty,some even reek beyond belief.This is what i do,and very successfully too:
With jackets and trousers,turn them inside out,so all the sheepskin/shearling wool shows,then,take them outside in the beautiful warm bright sunlight,and leave them either draped over a chair,or simply spread out on the ground.
The sunlight kills all the mould and smell after a few days.if you are lucky to have a breeze,the wind will take a lot of the smell away.give it a good few whacks with a light fly swat,as that beats a lot of hidden things out of the sheepskin.If the smell is still troubling you,buy a fabric freshner like febreeze,and spray the sheepskin.
Once you have aired the sheepskin,and removed a lot of the smell,buy a leather oil or cream,like Pecard,and apply it in small circlular motions,all over the leather.then,leave about 3 days for it to soak in.after 3 days,wipe the remaining leather cream off the leather jacket,so it is dry and not sticky.
It takes me approximately 6 solid hours or more to apply pecard leather cream,in both trousers and jackets,using the tips of my fingers.I ensure,every minute piece of leather and stitching,gets a top quality application,to ensure it's continued lifespan.
Whatever you choose to do to preserve them,i wish you all the best.please make sure absolutely NO leather cream or oil,touches either the sheepskin or the cloth surrounding the zippers.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
scans009.jpg

I found a pic of my pants in action! There was nothing written on the back of this one, unfortunately.

In fact, I just scanned a few ‘40s and ‘50s pics from my grandparents.

-Dave

Edward

Bartender
hahaha, thanks. He was absolutely enthralled with those pants. I think perhaps my parents cat(s) were laying on them where I found them in the garage. He lay on them for a bit too after the pics were taken. I've since put them up.

-Dave

According to my girls, sheepskin is an extremely comfy thing for a cat to lie on. When first I bought my B3 and laid it out on the floor to take photos, the pair of them were straight on there, leaving hairs.... lol (Marlene and Greta also tell me they thing your boy is "veh pretteh" ;) ).

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
It occurred to me just a few minutes ago that it's possible the tag on my A-3 pants can be used to interpret what B-3 my grandfather would have had along with it. I assume it must have been a B-3 since they were apparently paired as a flight suit when issued. Can any of the vintage jacket crowd help me out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points